The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 PM

Default Emerald & Bug Spray?

Anyone know if they play nice?

I'm getting eaten alive out here!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
Anyone know if they play nice?

I'm getting eaten alive out here!
Nice little auto body tech secret to keep bugs away from your final coats; Vanilla.

The bugs won't like you, your guitar will be safe and you will smell like a cupcake.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/va...sect-repellent
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Good luck with this one too...from REI
thermacell-patio-shield-mosquito-repeller
Old 05-23-2019, 03:59 PM

I would guess that the Emerald finish (basically automotive clear coat) would be the most resistant to the chemicals in bug juice. The next best would be the UV cured polyurethane that Taylor uses. I would not be in a hurry to test it one on my guitars, however. Try spraying bug juice on your hat and a flannel over shirt, and maybe lightly on the back of your hands, but that doesn't always dissuade the little bloodsuckers.

When I lived in Alaska there was a lot of field work out in the woods and out in the bush. Mosquitoes would do the backstroke in 100% DEET, laughing all the time. After melting (!!) two plastic watchbands on my dive watch, I switched to a Bug Shirt (www.bugshirt.com). It has a tightly woven nylon mesh that they cannot bite through, and closeable screen panels for the face. It became part of my airplane survival kit. The shirts are pretty hot and stuffy - not breathable at all - but at least you don't put those chemicals on your skin, or your guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber