The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Default The ideal travel guitar

Say you are going to travel around the world for a year or so and play singer-songwriter and cover song gigs or busk where you can. Mostly using a plectrum but some fingerstyle. What guitar? I am thinking a carbon fiber guitar since it is impervious to weather. That might even be mandatory unless one were to limit travel to no temperature extremes. Also wondering about size, smaller seemingly better due to airlines and buses and such. It would need an onboard pickup.

I have a CA OX guitar and it sounds real good but I don't like it's rounded back, slides off the leg. Might could buy some kind of stick-on fix for that. I also have a CA dreadnaught, which solves that problem. It could work, but it's full size. What type (model is even better) would you choose?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Mcpherson travel for sure. It's a brilliant, loud guitar.
Nick
Old 04-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Anticipation Junkie

For such a scenario, I agree with your consideration of a carbon guitar. If you’re willing to lug around a full-size guitar, I think your CA-OX is a great choice and I’m sure you can find a non-slip adhesive to apply where you need it.

If preferring a smaller guitar, I think I’d opt for either a CA Cargo with a non-gloss finish (for the non-slip factor)...I own a version with the “Road Tough (RT)” finish and it’s a great guitar for its size. There’s also the Emerald X7 with the crystal ice b&s finish (you’d essentially be trying to find an “Opus” series)...I own the larger full-size X20 with that finish and it’s great. There’s also the Journey OF660 with a removable neck which collapses into a reportedly excellently designed backpack, but I don’t think the finish is non-gloss.

I could be wrong, but my sense of the tone of the Journey as I’ve read in reports may not be as good as the CA or Emerald. But it’s portability factor is hard to beat.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Emerald X7?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoquFKCRz_A

(Apologies Tom, posts crossed!)
Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 AM

Check out the Rainsong CH-OM1100. I bought one as a travel guitar but find that I love the sound and comfort so much I tend to grab it first.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 AM

My only experience with a travel guitar has been the Martin LX1 and the GS Mini. I'd go with the GS Mini.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

For the last few years or so, I have used my Alvarez parlor guitar as my main travel guitar. In it's hard shell case, I was able to stow it in the overhead bin of an airplane and with a case cover and back straps, it is easy to carry around. Sounds great and is comfortable to play. So many great choices out there and everyone's idea of "ideal" will differ greatly. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
...There’s also the Journey OF660 with a removable neck which collapses into a reportedly excellently designed backpack, but I don’t think the finish is non-gloss...
Journey offers a matte-finished version of the OF660 for (I believe) the same price.

FYI, I have had several travel guitars (I used to do a fair amount of business travel): Go Guitar (Sam Radding design), Emerald X7 (old-style round centerhole), and my current Journey OF420B (spruce-top over lam Pau Ferro). I do like the ability to put the Journey case in the overhead, or - if need be - under the seat in front of me. While the X7 was not always allowed on board a full flight, I have never been denied entry with the Journey, and the case is well-provisioned for use as a carry-on; I can carry a laptop, other supplies, and a day or two of clothing (stuffed in the soundhole) in the pack. I had initially wanted the CF model, but none was available when I purchased this, and it has served me well for a couple of years now.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM

Big Baby Taylor. It's the larger version of the Baby Taylor, but has a ton more sound. Rugged, with a laminated, arched back that doesn't need bracing. I've never had trouble bringing aboard a plane in a gig bag. Mine lives on a sailboat, and doesn't seem to mind the humidity. Great playability.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 AM

I've traveled extensively with a full sized Adamas and never had any trouble with being allowed to carry it but an excellent option for someone wanting the ultimate compact carry guitar would be one of the all carbon fiber Journey 660 guitars. Neck detaches very quickly and easily making it fit just about anywhere.

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 04-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Default Furch Little Jane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgrtH0NRIU
Old 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I've tried them all and think the Emerald X7 is the best option for portability and sound.

Mitch
Old 04-08-2019, 01:16 PM

Since you own the OX, how about some Home Depot felt to keep it from sliding off your leg?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Mcpherson travel for sure. It's a brilliant, loud guitar.
Nick
There are now quite a few CF guitars that could fill this need, but I do second nickv6 here. Get the version with the honeycomb top design and the gold Schaller tuners and gold EVO frets. Mine has some kind of under saddle pickup in it (L.R.Baggs ?), so plugging in is no problem. The volume and tone are little knobs just inside the sound hole and the battery is in a small pack velcro'ed inside.

I own three Cargos, the original CA Guitars versions, and I would say with confidence that the McPherson Touring is the guitar the Cargo would have been, had cost not been an issue and enough R & D thrown at it. The Cargo is still a very worthy instrument and I am keeping mine, but the McPherson is that much nicer. Of my various guitars, wood or CF, the McPherson Touring is my favorite and my "go to".

Saying these things, I am also sure that the other instruments recommended in this thread would be fine for the task as well, but do check out the Touring (if at all possible) before making a final purchase decision.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 PM

Voyage-Air Guitars, any model as they are all full size. Folds into a backpack, fits into overhead storage on a plane. Laminated sides and back so it can go without humidification for a while
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion