The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Just got a Harmony H1260 from Reverb, Tuners are almost popping off...

I don't know my way around a guitar at all, I got this on a lowball offer from Reverb and was happy to get a player condition Harmony Sovereign H1260 for pretty cheap. I just got the guitar and one side of the tuners are almost sticking out of the back of the guitar. It was not advertised as a project or anything, the non-original stuff include a neck reset, bridge pins, and some repaired cracks:

https://imgur.com/a/2Vx3RTC

Is this an easy fix? I want to just try to screw it back in but I'm worried the components on the front of the headstock will then start popping out. Is it as simple as screwing it back in? The tuners still tune and hold tune for what it's worth. I'm just concerned they will randomly snap off and cause damage to the headstock. If it's a serious issue I'm thinking of messaging the seller and asking them to either foot the cost of getting it fixed or sending the guitar back altogether despite really liking it. I got a great price on a non-original H1260 and would really like to keep it but not if I have to put more money into getting it up and running. The whole point was to get a cheap beater H1260.

Here's the closest image he had of the headstock on his listing, doesn't seem like it was popping off at all. I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt and guessing it happened in transit (no case included with the guitar, just bubblewrapped in a box).

https://imgur.com/a/swKjTK8

Any thoughts on the matter? Sorry for the image links, I tried to embed them properly on here but they won't display for some reason. Not too familiar with how this site works. Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 PM

I would unstring the guitar and pull the tuners off to make sure they're a correct fit and the bushings are in place. If they are (they push all the way in and the pegs are perfectly aligned in their respective holes), I would then check the screw holes which could be stripped out. If they are stripped you can fill them and redrill the screw holes in the proper diameter.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM

If the screws won't tighten there's an easy fix I learned from a guitar repair manual by Dan Erlewine.
Toothpicks.
You need the round type.
Remove the screw and fill the hole with just enough toothpick so there's non protruding.
Make a tiny hole as a 'starter' for the screw - use a nail/tack.
That fresh wood in the hole is all you'll need.

I've done this repair myself and it worked perfectly.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-04-2018, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

If you purchased this guitar for under $500, and the neck reset is a pro job, (so the new neck angle is good), I'd be hard pressed to send it back, especially if the cracks are also fixed and stable. Even if you decide to go with new tuners, you're not looking at much money.

It is very hard to find a better guitar for under $1,000 than a good example of an H1260 with a good neck angle. YMMV.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 AM

As others have said, just try and tighten the screws.
If you like the way the guitar plays and sounds I'd consider replacing those tuners, they appear to be very cheap and probably could use to be upgraded.

I know that Grover Sta-tites and Stew-Mac vintage restoration tuners are good drop in replacements for Harmony Sovereigns.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 AM

No big deal, you can fix it yourself, just like Brucebubs suggested.
Enjoy your guitar!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:22 AM

Remove the strings, and make sure the tuners fit the headstock, then make sure they lay flat against the headstock. You should be able to do this without removing the tuner strips.
Take the screws out one at a time. Take some FLAT toothpicks, and stick one in the screw hole, and break it off. Reinstall the screw, repeat for other screws.

Ed
Old 05-04-2018, 02:08 PM

I have a H1260 and have worked on a bunch of them. Almost all of them need a neck reset at some point, so if yours has already had it done, you don't have to worry about that expense.

They are cool old guitars that sound good. Enjoy yours!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, yes after playing it for hours last night there is no way I am sending it back haha, it's a great sounding instrument and so light too! I'll look into tightening the screws or putting in a little bit of money to get them fixed up, I got a good price on it since it has mods like a pin bridge and a repaired crack so the collectibility value isn't really there for this particular H1260. Thanks again for the advice
Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 PM

You'll be fine with the guitar. Un-string it, and unscrew them all the way. Put the screws against the headstock to check the length (you can post a picture if you'd like). If they seem like they are the original screws then go ahead and screw them all the way in. If they seem too long, head down to a hardware screw and match the screws and test them there. The seller may have unscrewed them thinking that somehow it was better for the wood or something screwy (no pun intended). When it comes down to it, it's just a screw in a piece of wood and think of it the same way as you think of a construction project. Peace!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Take the screws out one at a time. Take some FLAT toothpicks, and stick one in the screw hole, and break it off. Reinstall the screw, repeat for other screws.

Ed
I'm unsure why Ed has highlighted FLAT toothpicks after I had previously mentioned ROUND toothpicks - but bear in mind I'm a rank amateur guitar repairer.

The round picks are easy to work with - I clipped off the pointy end a little and then cut my 'plug' to size.
Worked like a dream.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 05-04-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 AM

I read the suggestion on using tooth picks to plug striped tuner screw holes. Tooth picks are too big. If you pound the sharp end in you may well split the gear head wood which has pieces glued to the neck block right along where the tuner screw holes are drilled. Also, tooth pick wood is much harder than Harmony neck wood. That wood can cause the drill bit to divert to the side causing crooked screw insertion. Better to use same wood (mahogany) and correct sized dowel (< 1/16").
Old 05-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Deleted message

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyrepairs View Post
I read the suggestion on using tooth picks to plug striped tuner screw holes. Tooth picks are too big. If you pound the sharp end in you may well split the gear head wood which has pieces glued to the neck block right along where the tuner screw holes are drilled. Also, tooth pick wood is much harder than Harmony neck wood. That wood can cause the drill bit to divert to the side causing crooked screw insertion. Better to use same wood (mahogany) and correct sized dowel (< 1/16").
Better still, use This
Old 05-25-2019, 04:10 PM

I did this on my '78 guild d-25 , with the tooth picks -which i put a small touch of elmers in the hole before putting in the partial tooth pick - but what i did was install the new tuners -or in your case the original tuners and threw the tooth pick drill a very small hole ( as a relief to keep the tooth pick from putting pressure on its edges) -a tad smaller than the screws diameter- a dremel works best for this - and then insert the screws ( when the glue is dry ).
In my case I got rid of the original tuners- they were crappy tuners ( in a line )
and replaced them with gotohs individual tuners . I did use the toothpicks , to fill the hole and then touched them up with a darker nail polish - because the new holes didnt match up with the old . The touch up made the filled holes less noticable . ive done this a number of times on other guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion