The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Default CA Composite Acoustics Rep - At Sam Ash Tues 4/22 Charlotte, N.C.

FYI - For anyone in the Charlotte, N.C. aria who might be interested, I found out that a representative from CA will be at the Sam Ash store in Charlotte located off I-77 on Tyvola Rd. 7:00pm.

He will be bringing some of the CA models to show & demo including the hard to find Cargo. They currently have a 5i, GX Player, and GC Performer in stock also. If you think you might make it out call and ask for Phil in acoustics and let him know. 704-522-9253
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 PM
"Big Daddy"

That's great news David. Do you know if the rep is Jay Morrisey?
I will give Phil a call. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6STRINGSTRUMMER View Post
FYI - For anyone in the Charlotte, N.C. area who might be interested, I found out that a representative from CA will be at the Sam Ash store in Charlotte located off I-77 on Tyvola Rd. 7:00pm.

He will be bringing some of the CA models to show & demo including the hard to find Cargo. They currently have a 5i, GX Player, and GC Performer in stock also. If you think you might make it out call and ask for Phil in acoustics and let him know. 704-522-9253
Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckejoel View Post
That's great news David. Do you know if the rep is Jay Morrisey?
I will give Phil a call. Thanks.
Not sure, but Phil will be able to tell you. I'll be there!
Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
FYI - For anyone in the Charlotte, N.C. aria who might be interested, I found out that a representative from CA will be at the Sam Ash store in Charlotte located off I-77 on Tyvola Rd. 7:00pm.

If the rep happens to have the 7iM-CE (the full-size, high gloss version of the Cargo), I'd love to hear a report back on what you think of it, especially compared to the Cargo.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the rep is Jay Morrisey?

Yes...it will be Jay Morrissey (his last name is spelled with two s's)

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 04-19-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
If the rep happens to have the 7iM-CE (the full-size, high gloss version of the Cargo), I'd love to hear a report back on what you think of it, especially compared to the Cargo.
Yup, ditto on that, really love to hear a report on the 7iM, although i think its essentially the same as the 5iM but with a gloss finish, so a report on the 5i if thats the only offset model they have would be brilliant as well!!

If anyone at CA is listening, PLEASE can you sort out a dealer in the UK, I really want to play one of these things!! (although I'm pretty much set on ordering one anyway!!)
Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
a report on the 5i if thats the only offset model they have would be brilliant as well!!
I played the 5i and found that it has a very rich sound when strummed. The low end was amazing almost like it had a built in subwoofer. The highs had a nice sparkle. To me the low end was a little over the top, but thats just me.
I think the smaller body on the Cargo will balance out the low end out perfectly since they are the same design.

It seems that the offset hole design produces a deeper low end. I found this to be true on the Ovation 1778 Elite T. It has one set offset soundholes and puts out way more low end than any of the other Ovation models.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I played the 5i and found that it has a very rich sound when strummed. The low end was amazing almost like it had a built in subwoofer. The highs had a nice sparkle. To me the low end was a little over the top, but thats just me.
That was my initial impression too, but not after having the 5i a few days. I don't know if I've modified my playing or what, but the bass doesn't seem as overpowering. After playing mostly small guitars it's fun to have that power at hand.

The cargo is sweet for sitting on the couch and playing, and has a surprisingly full sound for the size. Really the perfect travel guitar IMO, but there's no question the 5i has a bigger sound to go with the bigger body...
Old 04-19-2008, 04:46 PM

Wow, the 5i sounds good to me! I really like a guitar with a deep low end (sorely missing from my Martin 000 at the moment) so that sounds like it could be right up my street!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Wow, the 5i sounds good to me! I really like a guitar with a deep low end (sorely missing from my Martin 000 at the moment) so that sounds like it could be right up my street!
Thanks for the reviews of the 5i. Although the 7i has the high-gloss body, I would think it must be equivalent. Having said this, I wonder if the bracing/voice of the 7i is different/better? Anybody know? Depending on the difference in cost, surely there's something different about the 7i than just a gloss finish.

Like speed12 with his Martin 000, my Taylor 814c also suffers from a lack of deep low end. The Taylor GA body is known to be a little weak on the bass. To overcome it, I began using Elixir PB light/mediums. That helped the bass to where I was content with the sound. Now, since I got my Cargo, the low end is even a little deeper/clearer than my Taylor -- and the body on it is even smaller than an x12 -- go figure! Because I like the Cargo so much on so many levels, I have a sneaking suspicion that the 7i could be spectacular! I have GAS!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:26 PM

The offset soundhole guitars have bracing that is integrated into the top rather than glued on later. It's quite different from the regular guitars. I'm guessing that the bracing is the same on the 5i/7i. That said, I was told they are not going to continue making the 5i, and that they will only be producing the 7i. The 5i is on their site though, so I don't know if that's accurate.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
"Big Daddy"

Thanks for the info Goodguy.
I got a bad case of fat fingers and missed the extra "s". It will be good to finally meet Jay after all the years of working with him indirectly on my Taylor Guitars purchased through Guitar Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
Yes...it will be Jay Morrissey (his last name is spelled with two s's)
Old 04-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
The offset soundhole guitars have bracing that is integrated into the top rather than glued on later. It's quite different from the regular guitars. I'm guessing that the bracing is the same on the 5i/7i. That said, I was told they are not going to continue making the 5i, and that they will only be producing the 7i. The 5i is on their site though, so I don't know if that's accurate.
Thanks Jason. Do you (or anyone else) have any experience comparing the 8M (with conventional soundhole placement and whatever bracing) to your 5iM?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks Jason. Do you (or anyone else) have any experience comparing the 8M (with conventional soundhole placement and whatever bracing) to your 5iM?
Well, I've had a GX Player, X Player, 5iM and Cargo. I think the 8M is the same as the GX Performer? So not exactly what I've had, but the Player and Performer are much more like each other than they are like the "i" guitars.

The biggest difference between the GX Player and the 5iM is greater bass and a little more volume from the 5iM. The offset soundhole versions also have a different character to the sound to my ear, but I'd be hard pressed to describe it verbally.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
I was told they are not going to continue making the 5i, and that they will only be producing the 7i. The 5i is on their site though, so I don't know if that's accurate.
I talked with Steve the production manager at CA and he said that they were going to continue to make the 5i series. Thats great since the 7i is a bit more expensive but man does it look sweeeeeet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber