The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 PM

I got my Goodall used from a guy on this board about 12 years ago. Probably half of the usual price. Great value! Don't give up on the used market if it suits your budget better.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:59 AM

Default Moon spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have been so impressed with Goodalls. Wonderful guitars.
In your opening statement you mentioned it was a Master Grade Italian spruce top.
*Are you saying that this Italian top is of Moon spruce variety?
Moon Spruce is one of those names that seems to have lots of other names as Well. Swiss, high elevation and German, Carpathian and is harvested in several European countries at high elevation.
I love moon spruce. I have two guitars with Moon spruce tops. And find that they produce a clear - focused -and Fatter Trebles as compared to my other guitars with Sitka.
It was a deliberate slip of the pen. The master grade Italian spruce used by James is definitely the slow growth type of wood which grows high up in the mountains. Moon spruce or moon wood is a nice designation for wood that is planted and harvested taking into account the moon cycle. That is something else (I am not implying you thought so) than the attractive myth among guitarists of lumbermen harvesting in the middle of a moonfull night. How dangerous would that be! In any case it would not be allowed by present day European safety rules. Whether or not a moon calender is still in use I don't know and it could be that I misused the term.

For those who are interested:

Special "moon calendars" for the right times in using forests, from planting a tree to the harvest, were common within the old timber-"industry", long before industrialization took part. Now the regular forests got more and more used on a pure technical way, not considering the old traditional rules - and forgetting some hundred years of knowledge for the "right time".

These traditional rules for getting best tonewood is – simplified – as following:

The best trees grow on the northwest slope of a mountain on altitudes from 1000 meter/3500 feet up to the limit of vegetation.
The best trees measure ca. 50 centimetres/ 20+ inch diameter; considering the slow growth such a tree is ca. 300 years old (that’s when a tree hits it’s peak).
At these altitudes a tree grows around 1 millimetre/ 0.4 inch each year in radius = distance from the grain lines. Using a little mathematics it comes out to ca. 20 grain lines/inch, seldom up to 25+ grain lines/inch what is commonly considered to be one criteria for a “mastergrade”). Nature simply limits mastergrade tops.
Cut an according tree within the last quarter of waning moon (end of waning moon phase) in the wintertime after the growing period of the tree has stopped (low sap flow).
Let this tree as it is in the forrest for stabilization - including it’s branches and bark - until a first step of drying is done by nature and the cut tree tries to start to grow again after the end of wintertime (this is nowadays no more possible due to bark beetle plague).
Then bring it down to the mill, get split logs out of it and cut these into tonewood. Air-dry the milling results.

Regarding this traditional method the old violin masters like Stradivarius etc. said that moonwood has several advantages to non-moonwood. This wood is more resistant against moister changes and it is stiffer: some analysis say that it seems to be ca. 15% denser than a comparable piece of non-moonwood and it feels like long-time stored wood that has reached a stable state.

www.tonewood.ch/moonwood.html

My lyrics and music on Youtube

Last edited by Karel; 06-10-2019 at 02:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion