The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM

Alvarez Yairi DY-78.
Under $1,000.00, worth twice that.

Ed
Old 06-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Alvarez Yairi DY-78.
Under $1,000.00, worth twice that.

Ed
I am not aware than any of the DY's have 1.75" nuts. Am I wrong? While not DY-78's I've got a DY-77 and a DY-71 and they both have the 11/16" nuts.

To the OP: If you have guitars to cover you the best advice I can give you is, patience is your friend. Enjoy the journey and play every used guitar you can get your hands on in (and out) of your price range. You may find an incredible gem for way less than you expect.

In my case, I was looking for a "beater" as my other guitars were far too good to take to the beach or campfire, or parties. So as I was casually looking I came upon a used guitar on CL, only 6 blocks from home. And this is what I found... for $150 with HSC and Shure SM58mic (see below). As they say, luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Be patient and persistent my friend. You never know what's lying around the next corner....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epi_2sides.jpg (55.7 KB, 46 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM

I second the "used Guild" recommendation. Given that you want newer with a 1 3/4 nut, I would suggest a New Hartford built F-30 Std. (hog) or F-30r Std (rosewood). These are essentially "OM" size guitars. They were New Hartford's "plain jane" line. High build quality but little bling. 1 3/4 bone nut, bone pins and saddle, rosewood fretboard. You would need to be willing to pay in the top of your price range, but they are wonderful guitars.

The fancier version (the F-30 Aragon) will (a) likely be out of your price range and (b) won't have the 1 3/4 nut.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM

I can't see you being happy with a $600 - $800 guitar having your 35e. Probably why you want to unload the Alvarez. Is keep those, or save for something really nice.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 06-04-2019, 02:47 PM

K. Yairi - used.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-04-2019, 02:54 PM

I literally just went through this process over the past 30-45 days, finally pulling the trigger on a pre-owned Martin via reverb (from a fellow AGF user), albeit slightly over my intended budget. I had been playing a base Takamine G-series for the past ten years as I've tried to develop my skills and desperately wanted (needed) an upgrade. Like you, I went in knowing I wanted a pre-owned guitar.

I HIGHLY recommend going to a couple guitar shops and pulling guitars off the wall and play them. Hold them, hear them....basic process of elimination. Most importantly, TAKE YOUR TIME. Like you, I went into the whole process with a few "must have's". As I tried these different guitars over the weeks my priorities changed slightly, but more importantly what I "thought" I wanted changed. Had I NOT gone through this process and overall introspection, I would have ended up with the wrong guitar. Did I mention, take your time?

My discoveries...

1. Yamaha's are a tremendous value in that price range as are some of the others aforementioned.
2. The Guild D125 sounded amazing. It wasn't on my radar but I took it off the wall and played it and was shocked.
3. The Martin X-series sounded crazy good. Just didn't kick me in the pants
4. Martin MMV, ...came oh so close to buying one.
4. Taylor- didn't much prefer the Taylor sound, but setup felt nice and easy.
5. Gibson vs Epiphone ... they look similar, but play and sound totally different

and that's not even touching the subject of soundwood discoveries...

Be prepared for the ride
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 06-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Do you travel or want to travel with a guitar?

A solid top Voyage Air is well within your budget. The neck folds for carrying it in a small backpack (supplied), but it is not a gimmick. A very good guitar that happens to be easily transported.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sylvia View Post
I can't see you being happy with a $600 - $800 guitar having your 35e. Probably why you want to unload the Alvarez. Is keep those, or save for something really nice.
I think your right on the money, comparing my 35 series Martin to the more budget priced Alvarez guitars is exactly right. I play them and go back and play my Martin then the others seem to stay in the cases. They are good guitars for their price range but I think I’m spoiled by the Martin. I’d really like just two guitars that are different but both high quality.
I’m looking at Larrivee L-03, kind of a slope shoulder dread thinking it might be a good compliment to the Martin but I’ll have to adjust the budget a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion