The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 AM

Growing up in the 70's I had a very old father. Safe to say I was unplanned. He was 51 when I was born in 1966. My sisters were of course much older than I was. One of them turned my dad onto Leon Redbone with the Double Time album. My dad was from the era of big bands and very early country music. My dad played the heck out of that Double Time album. I was all into 70's rock but there was something about Leon Redbone that I really appreciated. I don't know, maybe it was because I heard that album so much when my dad played it. It was as if I hated to admit I liked it because it just wasn't cool to listen to that at my age.

When I got older maybe twenty years ago or so I bought Double Time on CD. Kind of a nostalgia thing after my dad died. Man that was one of the best CDs I have ever purchased. I have worn it out. A friend of mine gave me copies of several of his other albums on CD. His Christmas album Christmas Island is one of the best Christmas albums ever. Being a 70's rock and 80's hair band fan, Redbone was a far departure from what I was used to listening to. But he was the epitome of cool!

I was fortunate enough to get to see him live a few years ago. I'm still mad that I missed him the last time he was here and even more so now that I will never get to see him again. But to this day that was one of the top five shows I have ever seen. I literally sat there with the biggest grin on my face when he played those songs from Double Time. And he was such a great entertainer the way he told stories and talked to the audience. There will NEVER be anybody like Leon Redbone ever again. RIP
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 AM

Leon was inspired by the likes of Arthur 'Blind' Blake and other early ragtime performers. I'd call this ragtime. Go listen to Blind Blake and you will hear Leon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion