The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Default short scale and optimal gauge strings?

Hello all,

I am hoping someone could shed some light on this matter. Specifically for short-scale, wood or CF, do they design with specific gauge strings in mind? Regardless, what would you say the pros and cons of moving up to heavier gauge strings would be and why? Is there a point of tone deterioration eventually? Thanks for your knowledge and experience in advance!

G
Old 06-03-2019, 01:45 PM

The tonal response will depend on several factors: the characteristics of the guitar itself, the string alloy chosen and your own right hand attack. But using medium gauge strings on a short scale is a perfectly viable approach. My short scale 000-42 has never had anything BUT medium gauge strings on it, and it sounds magnificent.

If you bend strings a lot when you play (which I don’t,) you might not like mediums as much. But otherwise they can be very playable. When you get a guitar’s action dialed in for them, it can be set lower than for lights, because those medium gauge strings don’t vibrate in as wide an arc as lights. So there’s less fret rattle and buzzing, and overall they can be very comfortable to play.

Anyway, they’re definitely worth experimenting with.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Mostly I use medium gauge strings on all my guitars (mostly GA sized and with scales varying from 24" to 25.5"). But I also use several altered tunings, so I need the extra tension when slacked, and have simply adapted to more tension when up at "standard". Some guitars like being driven harder by the extra tension, and the tone of others gets choked. You will definitely have to test drive and decide for yourself.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The tonal response will depend on several factors: the characteristics of the guitar itself, the string alloy chosen and your own right hand attack. But using medium gauge strings on a short scale is a perfectly viable approach. My short scale 000-42 has never had anything BUT medium gauge strings on it, and it sounds magnificent.

If you bend strings a lot when you play (which I don’t,) you might not like mediums as much. But otherwise they can be very playable. When you get a guitar’s action dialed in for them, it can be set lower than for lights, because those medium gauge strings don’t vibrate in as wide an arc as lights. So there’s less fret rattle and buzzing, and overall they can be very comfortable to play.

Anyway, they’re definitely worth experimenting with.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, Your reputation precedes and I appreciate your sharing. I have LifeSpan Mediums on Journey OF660 and I agree, "less rattle and buzzing." My right fingertips get tender quicker but love the meatier sound as well. I remember treble side sounding tinny with Light LifeSpan 2.0.

Last edited by Gitaman; 06-03-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Mostly I use medium gauge strings on all my guitars (mostly GA sized and with scales varying from 24" to 25.5"). But I also use several altered tunings, so I need the extra tension when slacked, and have simply adapted to more tension when up at "standard". Some guitars like being driven harder by the extra tension, and the tone of others gets choked. You will definitely have to test drive and decide for yourself.
Earl, I like your method good excuse to try out more strings!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:18 PM

I used to be a "medium gauge" person, primarily because I played dreads with a pick. And most of those guitars were rosewood, so I used phosphor-bronze. But since I've shifted almost entirely to playing with just my hands, and to guitars of varying sizes, (my personal favorite being a short-scale 00 mahogany-backed guitar), I've lost my taste for mediums, and prefer a light set, sometimes with a slight bump in gauge in the bass "E" string. I'm playing less full chords than I once used when playing primarily rhythm/strumming, and need more flexibility in the left hand for hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc. I've also found that 80/20 strings fit that role better than phosphor-bronze, giving a more simple woodiness and mid-range to the tone, and less chime in the trebles. That's the best I can describe it.

I'm also doing this with my dread, because once I adapted to light strings, I didn't like the feel of mediums anymore. Spending more time with short-scale guitars is also part of that, I think. Mediums always used to sound "right" to me; now they sound choked, even on guitars that I seemed to think were just fine a few years ago. Either my hearing has been altered (and for the worst ), or losing the pick and changing my technique is the culprit.

With more of my tonality being in my right hand than I used to produce with just a pick (IMO), especially when digging in for dynamic effect, a cleaner, deeply resonant, less lush/overtone laden sound is now what appeals most to me. I want articulation instead of a big, fat, chime-y sound with a strong bottom end.

It's funny how things change, even when you once thought you were pretty set in your ways.

... JT
Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
I used to be a "medium gauge" person, primarily because I played dreads with a pick. And most of those guitars were rosewood, so I used phosphor-bronze. But since I've shifted almost entirely to playing with just my hands, and to guitars of varying sizes, (my personal favorite being a short-scale 00 mahogany-backed guitar), I've lost my taste for mediums, and prefer a light set, sometimes with a slight bump in gauge in the bass "E" string. I'm playing less full chords than I once used when playing primarily rhythm/strumming, and need more flexibility in the left hand for hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc. I've also found that 80/20 strings fit that role better than phosphor-bronze, giving a more simple woodiness and mid-range to the tone, and less chime in the trebles. That's the best I can describe it.

I'm also doing this with my dread, because once I adapted to light strings, I didn't like the feel of mediums anymore. Spending more time with short-scale guitars is also part of that, I think. Mediums always used to sound "right" to me; now they sound choked, even on guitars that I seemed to think were just fine a few years ago. Either my hearing has been altered (and for the worst ), or losing the pick and changing my technique is the culprit.

With more of my tonality being in my right hand than I used to produce with just a pick (IMO), especially when digging in for dynamic effect, a cleaner, deeply resonant, less lush/overtone laden sound is now what appeals most to me. I want articulation instead of a big, fat, chime-y sound with a strong bottom end.

It's funny how things change, even when you once thought you were pretty set in your ways.

... JT
Very insightful and while I am also definitely more into fingerpicking than strumming with a pick, I still find switching things around refreshing and also allows me to see what is out there. Give me a few more seasons and let's talk again btw, I will give 80/20 lights a try for less chimey trebles you noticed interpreting "less chimey" as not tinny. Thank you, JTFoote, for the detailed explanation of where I might be headed.

Last edited by Gitaman; 06-03-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 PM

Thumbs up

Earl,

I just tried your detuning idea and I really like the more relaxed, warmer, sound. I went down a full tone and much easier to fret and fingerpick! Your input was much appreciated!

G

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion