The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Just to be clear, I didn't design the SJ or what we're calling a GA. I bought blueprints, which I will tinker with as we build them. I haven't designed anything and don't really feel the need to, as of yet. So far I've found nothing lacking in the designs of others commonly available.

Joseph, there is no pore fill on the Halcyons...
Old 04-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Oh right sorry Ed forgot you had mentioned that hopefully it looks okay!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Folks that have Halcyons, I'd love to hear your input on this. As Ed mentioned about, there is no pore fill. I was planning on doing curly maple binding for mine. Do you think maple binding would look silly with the more natural look of the no pore fill? Just opinions I know, but I wonder if anyone has done anything similar and can comment.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

It sounds like your getting into overly blinged territory for the KIS Halcyon approach I think of as Halcyon (and I am surprised it hasn't been deferred to Tinker:-). Seems like overdoing it IMO.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited by pjroberts; 04-21-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 PM

Id sure stay away from Wenge. You wont believe the size of those pores. As for comparing it to Braz, no way. Very different sound which varies with the builder. Size of guitar makes more difference than wood. After size is strings and then builder. If you want to get close to Braz go with Honduran or Panamanian Rosewood. Those are on the top of my list but I didnt ask for them.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
It sounds like your getting into overly blinged territory for the KIS Halcyon approach I think if as Halcyon (and I am surprised it hasn't been deferred to Tinker:-). Seems like overdoing it IMO.

This is why I ask. Thanks

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 04-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Eh Ed seems to know what he's doing and cares about his stuff so I'm thinking he won't give me something that I can't even look at haha. Think I'll take the risk. Just from what I've searched here on AGF there seem to be a lot of Braz comparisons not sure why then. We'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Id sure stay away from Wenge. You wont believe the size of those pores. As for comparing it to Braz, no way. Very different sound which varies with the builder. Size of guitar makes more difference than wood. After size is strings and then builder. If you want to get close to Braz go with Honduran or Panamanian Rosewood. Those are on the top of my list but I didnt ask for them.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 PM

I don't think it's blinged out at all. The only thing different than normal is curly maple bindings. No biggie.

I'm excited about the wenge personally. My number 1 gig guitar (back in those fondly remembered days) was wenge, no pore fill, satin finish, and I like it just fine. As for comparisons to Braz, well, whatever. It has the sort of glassine tap tone that gets it compared to Braz, but lots of woods do. The only thing I'm not looking forward to are the septic splinters.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:08 PM

Unless that and that is blinged out...

Or that...

Or that...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 PM

Blinged out enough for me Ed. That's just the way I like em!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 PM

Default Halcyon thread

All I can say about my Halcyon experience is- my AJ #51 was built without ANY input from me......... AND I LOVE IT!!!!!

I have my second Halcyon on order, an MJC- and besides nut width, basically it is all Ed! I trust his judgement and skills implicitly!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:34 PM

How much do I like my second Haly? A couple of nights ago I had a dream that I opened the case and the top was cracked and caved in at the lower bout. I woke up and ran to the spare bedroom where it was stored to find it in pristine condition. Didn't sleep anymore that night.

True story.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 PM

Yes, well...I've been itching to go steelheading, and watching the Walking Dead.

So naturally I dreamed of being eaten by zombie fish. Though I guess turnabout is fair play...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Unless that and that is blinged out...

Or that...

Or that...
It is very tastefully reserved for sure. What are we looking at there, Ed?

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 PM

Tasmanian Blackwood with blood wood bindings, two flamed walnuts, one bound in it's own offcuts, one with wenge, and black limba bound with wenge. We've had a string of interesting requests lately. Can't wait to lay finish on the black hearted sassafrass...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop