The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I read that the TRIC foam is polypropylene-the stuff used for the core of motor car bumpers. Polystyrene ('Styrofoam'), is the stuff you get in cheap cases and, as you say, coolers.
I've also seen it compared to the stuff they use for bicycle helmets. Whatever the gradation of foam, if the seal is good, I'm guessing it'll be better than a standard HSC for humidity. And they're about 4 pounds compared to usually 10-12 for a wooden HSC. Definitely seems worth a try...
Old 10-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
"It should be better than a regular case for both temperature and humidity . . but ONLY over relatively short time frames (less than a day, I' d say). The same way that a styrofoam cup or a thermos can slow down the process of something getting hot/cold."

This I don't get. Styrofoam is used for insulation for a lot longer than one day. It's a better insulator than wood by a lot. For any period of time. Lots of coolers are made of it, some homes use similar types of foam for insulation. I was more wondering how well sealed the case would be, which should affect humidity retention.
I suspect you're thinking of a foam ice-chest as analogy. And, yes, that can keep the temperature constant for longer than a day. But that's only because the energy that would normally go towards warming up the interior has to first go into melting the ice. Only then can the temperature start to rise.

You can try an experiment. Get a regular guitar case and a foam ice chest (without any ice in it). Take them both outside at night when it's cold, and open them up to get them down to a cool temperature.

Put a wireless thermometer / hygrometer in both, bring them both inside the house, and then record the temperature / humidity of both vs time.

Yes, the cooler will change more slowly. But it's not going to stay constant for a day.

You mention homes with foam insulation. I happen to live in one. Had it designed that way and have been here for 7 years. It cuts my energy usage by 50-65%. But I can assure you that when the electricity goes out, I can tell that the humidity and temperature start to rise inside the house. Granted, we have windows and doors, but still. Yes, the temperature change is a lot slower than in a house built of regular construction. But the temperature/humidity doesn't remain unchanged for a day, that I can assure you.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I suspect you're thinking of a foam ice-chest as analogy. And, yes, that can keep the temperature constant for longer than a day. But that's only because the energy that would normally go towards warming up the interior has to first go into melting the ice. Only then can the temperature start to rise.

You can try an experiment. Get a regular guitar case and a foam ice chest (without any ice in it). Take them both outside at night when it's cold, and open them up to get them down to a cool temperature.

Put a wireless thermometer / hygrometer in both, bring them both inside the house, and then record the temperature / humidity of both vs time.

Yes, the cooler will change more slowly. But it's not going to stay constant for a day.

You mention homes with foam insulation. I happen to live in one. Had it designed that way and have been here for 7 years. It cuts my energy usage by 50-65%. But I can assure you that when the electricity goes out, I can tell that the humidity and temperature start to rise inside the house. Granted, we have windows and doors, but still. Yes, the temperature change is a lot slower than in a house built of regular construction. But the temperature/humidity doesn't remain unchanged for a day, that I can assure you.
I get it - I'm not looking for a miracle here. I'm only comparing it to the alternative, which would be the wooden HSC my wooden acoustic came in. I would be storing it indoors and using humidpaks to maintain humidity. If it will maintain the humidity (and less importantly temperature) inside the case noticeably more efficiently than the wooden HSC and be considerably lighter on top of it, that's a win for me. I'm not looking for something that would allow me to just drop my guitar in a case out in the desert heat for the day with no internal humidification and expect it to stay stable all day. I'm asking it to do what a typical hardshell case would do in terms of humidity management, but do it better...

It sounds like this would probably do that, and is at least worth checking out...

-Ray
Old 10-19-2019, 12:38 PM

I have an older TRIC case...no zippers, just velcro straps...for my Seagull.

I really can't answer to how much better it retains humidity compared to the hard cases for my other guitars, but I check the dampness of the sponges every few days anyway...I haven't done a comparison test to see which dries out first. (Normally, I only put the guitars in their cases during the winter if it gets so very cold as to overwhelm my room humidifier. Sometimes there only there for a day or two. Sometimes, a couple of weeks.)

The scientific method has not been applied here.

Simply put...
You said you're planning to keep the guitars indoors, so if your checking on humidity from time to time anyway I don't honestly think it's worth the expense to buy a TRIC case just for purposes of humidity control.

The main advantage to the TRIC case is blunt force protection and control against sudden temperature changes. The case is bulky, but works well in absorbing the normal bumps of everyday use. What it lacks is protection from sharp punctures. It's foam, after all.

I've taken my guitar on summer family trips where it's sat in the car for hours in the hot summer, and I've also strapped the case to my back while riding my motorcycle to early cool and misty morning lessons.

Never a problem.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM

I owned a TRIC case, and for a regular musician, they were a dream. Their best selling point was being extremely light as well as durable enough (not a flight case obviously, but still rigid enough for everyday use).

I dont travel with it outdoors, so I was not concerned with how it kept the temperature under control. As for humidity, I felt it sept in and eventually normalize with room humidity.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I get it - I'm not looking for a miracle here. I'm only comparing it to the alternative, which would be the wooden HSC my wooden acoustic came in. I would be storing it indoors and using humidpaks to maintain humidity. If it will maintain the humidity (and less importantly temperature) inside the case noticeably more efficiently than the wooden HSC and be considerably lighter on top of it, that's a win for me. I'm not looking for something that would allow me to just drop my guitar in a case out in the desert heat for the day with no internal humidification and expect it to stay stable all day. I'm asking it to do what a typical hardshell case would do in terms of humidity management, but do it better...

It sounds like this would probably do that, and is at least worth checking out...

-Ray
Quite frankly, I don't know that it would be required for the indoor use case you describe. Your current case would likely get it done. Reason being, in either case you are still going to have to keep the environment reasonable in terms of temp and humidity. If you don't it won't matter what case you have. None will get it done. Just a thought.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-19-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Quite frankly, I don't know that it would be required for the indoor use case you describe. Your current case would likely get it done. Reason being, in either case you are still going to have to keep the environment reasonable in terms of temp and humidity. If you don't it won't matter what case you have. None will get it done. Just a thought.
That's sorta what I was thinking.

Now where I think the TRIC case would shine is for hauling the instrument between gigs . . . . especially outdoor gigs where the instrument (in its case) might have to sit outside a heated/air-conditioned room for several hours.

Or leaving the instrument (again, in its case) inside a hot car for some reasonable amount of time. It should protect the guitar from heat quite a bit longer than a normal case in that situation. Though I'd still want to park the car in the shade.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
That's sorta what I was thinking.

Now where I think the TRIC case would shine is for hauling the instrument between gigs . . . . especially outdoor gigs where the instrument (in its case) might have to sit outside a heated/air-conditioned room for several hours.

Or leaving the instrument (again, in its case) inside a hot car for some reasonable amount of time. It should protect the guitar from heat quite a bit longer than a normal case in that situation. Though I'd still want to park the car in the shade.
Yup, exactly what I was thinking...I think it is intended for controlling environment for short bursts...not for long term situations like your home...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Ray,

I have used a variety of cases and gig bags over the course of my music career and I can tell you the Tric case is my favorite case for acoustics. If I bought an acoustic guitar that came with a hardcase would I sell the hardcase and buy a Tric case for it? Probably not. I currently have 2 Tric cases, one is for an electric and the other is acoustic, I stopped using refillable case humidifiers and switched to the 2-way humidipaks and haven't had to change one yet in that case, though I honestly forget how long its been in there. The Tric cases are light and offer good protection, not quite as good as a hard case but not too far off.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I get the point that it's probably overkill to buy one of these to replace a form-fitting HSC just for somewhat better humidity retention. Particularly true since i re-charge my humidipaks so if one dries up a little sooner than it might otherwise, not really a problem. But a combination of the light weight and thermal protection might make it worth it to me. I'll have to cogitate some. I don't take the guitar out of the house that often, but I do a couple of two day road trips with it each year, at least, and it can get fairly cold in the car on those when se stop for any period of time.

Probably won't do anything right away, but this sounds like a really good option to consider at some point if I want to go for a lighter case...

-Ray
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 PM

What guitar are you going to be putting in the tric case? Just curious, thats all. I am sure you will be quite happy with it.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
What guitar are you going to be putting in the tric case? Just curious, thats all. I am sure you will be quite happy with it.
A Martin 000-15SM, the only wooden acoustic I have now. It's an odd shape guitar to find a 3rd party case to fit, so I'd probably go for the dreadnought "multi-fit" size and see how it does. The body is too long for standard 000, OM cases, but Sweetwater has a couple of Gator dreadnaught cases they call a "certified fit", which theoretically means they've tested the guitar in the case and it fits comfortably without significant movement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion