The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Default beginner moving on to nicer/bigger guitar (Larrivee?)--help

Hello: i have been playing for a few months now, learning on a Baby Taylor. It's sweet, but I have been itching for something bigger.

I have a strong attraction to the Larrivee OM-03, though I've never actually played it. I noodled around today at my local Guitar Center, to get an idea of what the different sizes felt like (Seagull, Martin, Yamaha).

A dread is likely too big -- I am an older beginner, and have a shoulder issue. I played a Taylor 214 (orchestra?) and it felt pretty good size-wise. I want something that is balanced (fingerpicking/strumming) and will carry me through the next few years. My budget is about $1200, and used is fine (though I'm a little wary as a newbie, not knowing exactly what to watch out for).

My question: how does the Larrivee OM compare, size and neck feel wise, to the Taylor? I'm trying to get more info before I take a drive to the nearest dealer.

Thanks! I have been lurking for a while now; this is a fun forum.

LS
Old 08-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

HUGE, huge Larrivee fan here.
I would suggest that you try an Om-40 or Om40r. They have a different bracing and give more bottom than the standard series. Both are great...but I am partial to 40 series. 40 series is usually a few hundred dollars more.
Larrivee and Taylor do have very different necks. So it would be hard to say if it will fit you the same as the Taylor. For myself, I have no problems adjusting to different neck styles. However...for many on the AGF...the neck shape can be a make or break deal. So you will have to play a Larrivee and decide for yourself.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 PM

You need to play more models and sizes, from different manufacturers and take note of exactly what models they are and what feels good. That’s the biggest thing.

There are a ton of videos etc online that will educate you on what woods, shapes, brands typically sound like or are “meant “ for. Take that all with a grain of salt because you can play anything on anything more or less but it does help to understand how some models and materials come together to sound and feel.

I would guess you tried out a grand auditorium shaped Taylor but maybe it was a grand concert or another. They are somewhere between a dreadnought and an OM model size wise, and have their own sound. OM models are usually lighter and smaller, both can be strummed or finger picked.

Before you pull the trigger on something try out many shapes and brands and do some research to find what suits you best.
Martin D40
Old 08-02-2019, 05:23 PM

The Larrivee OM will have a smaller lower bout (the 114 is a GA and their lower bout width is 16 inches while an Om is typically between 15-15 1/4.)

Larrivee are best known for their exceptionally balanced tone. You would be hard pressed to find anything better in your budget than a Larrivee. The necks and feel of a Larrivee and Taylor are not vastly different, though the Larrivee will have a slightly thicker neck and a 1.75" nut width - the Taylor's nut width is 1 11/16th's.

Notable guitars have a OM-03 for just $1099.

IMO, the Larrivee is a guitar that would last you a lifetime.

Ibanez AC240, Alvarez AP30, RK ROS-10, Gretsch Boxcar, Loar LO-16
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, Squier VM '72 Thinline Telecaster, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90, Squier VM 70's Stratocaster
Vox MV50 Rock, Orange Micro Terror, Bugera V5
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Samson 308i PA

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

My Solo site -Updated 2/6/19
Old 08-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum, LS. There's a lot of good to be said about Larrivees, and the OM-03 in particular. I don't think you could go wrong with that choice...
Emerald X20
Emerald X20-12
Old 08-02-2019, 05:33 PM

If you like your Taylor, there are always 314 and 414 models on Reverb in your price range. like there's a 412e 2018 for 1000+80 shipping. There's also a Taylor 314 for $800+65 shipping too. You should also try some Eastmans if you get the chance. The AC322ce and E8OM series and above are spectacular and under $1200 new. You could definitely get a E10-OM for $1200
Old 08-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Larrivees are amazing. I have an OM-03 Silver Oak that is just magical.
I have a custom Larrivee 00 and another custom 00 currently in production on order.

The Larrivee OM is pretty much the same size as a Martin OM. You can put them back-to-back and be very identical in size.
The Larrivee OM fits right in between the size of Taylor GC and Taylor GA.
I've done extensive measurements with a GA I no longer have, and the GC and Martin 000 I do have.
I'm happy to take any photos or meaurements if you need any visuals.

You can't go wrong with a Larrivee. They are forever guitars, so well-made, always all-solid wood, great tone and balance, and by a luthier who cares what he creates.

Last edited by palsed; 08-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

first off Welcome!

The Larrivee OM necks will probably feel a bit fuller and the string spacing will be more generous
some people like that, I don't !

They are outstanding guitars....

with that said, I would take a good look at Eastman

they have an all solid wood E1 OM for under 5 bills, that will knock your socks
off
Old 08-02-2019, 07:07 PM

LS, why not get a guitar named after you, the Larrivee LS? Although a little less common than the OM, the LS (small L) has basically the same internal volume of the OM body and sounds about the same. It was initially made as a smaller version of the classically inspired L when Jean Claude began building steel string guitars.

The LS I have is a 12-fret version of a LS-03 made in a limited run for the Larrivee Forum members. I haven't played a newer version, but the model is still being made. Check the Larrivee web page or email the company for availability.

Mine sounds and plays wonderfully and several other Larrivees and other brands have come and gone while I have had it.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:40 PM

LS, you can't go wrong with Larrivee.
In case you weren't aware, pre Oct 2017 models have a compound radius fretboard ( 17-21") after that date, they are all 16" radius.
I happen to like the compound radius, others don't. ( Just in case you're looking at stock that may have been in a store for awhile or used.)
All solid wood guitars of fine quality.
You might check the *L* bodies too, easily available in your price range.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 PM

3 months is not enough playing time to focus in on a particular brand/model. You have much to learn grasshopper before purchasing your next guitar.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughbooks View Post
Hello: i have been playing for a few months now, learning on a Baby Taylor. It's sweet, but I have been itching for something bigger.

I have a strong attraction to the Larrivee OM-03, though I've never actually played it. I noodled around today at my local Guitar Center, to get an idea of what the different sizes felt like (Seagull, Martin, Yamaha).

A dread is likely too big -- I am an older beginner, and have a shoulder issue. I played a Taylor 214 (orchestra?) and it felt pretty good size-wise. I want something that is balanced (fingerpicking/strumming) and will carry me through the next few years. My budget is about $1200, and used is fine (though I'm a little wary as a newbie, not knowing exactly what to watch out for).

My question: how does the Larrivee OM compare, size and neck feel wise, to the Taylor? I'm trying to get more info before I take a drive to the nearest dealer.

Thanks! I have been lurking for a while now; this is a fun forum.

LS
Although it has been said Bob Taylor built his reputation on the “Grand Auditorium” size, with those guitars given the “14” in their numbering system, it’s worth to mention again the lower bout width on those measure 16”, more than a Martin dreadnought(!), although 1/4” less deep. The pinched waist on the Taylor GA will make it more comfortable to play seated than the Martin D, but going the other way to the OM, the lower bout width will be 15” for a Martin, and I assume about the same for the Larrivee. I would go for the Larry.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Well, I would have loved to have a Larrivee as my first full-size guitar. As others have said, they are good enough to grow into, even if that means your lifetime

Do check out an L body at some point. A little bigger than an OM, but shaped differently from a dread. I was playing a Guild dread when I got my first Larrivee. For me, the L body was way more comfortable instantly. I never looked back.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway | 1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway | 2006 Larrivee L03-R | 2009 Larrivee LV03-R | 2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page
CD Baby

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." -Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-02-2019, 08:52 PM

I have a number of expensive and amazing handmade guitars - but one that still fits in and holds its own is my Forum 3 LS-03R - fantastic guitar, but there are many other Larrivees that would work as well. But you need to try one before you make any decisions, or get a return option -
Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Wow, I am touched by how generous you all are with your time and expertise! I know it’s early to focus on something specific, but I’m fortunate enough that it won’t be the only guitar I can buy.

I am going to Vancouver next month so I will stop by Long and McQuaid—they seem to have both Larrivee and Eastman, plus the usual suspects. Though they were very nice to me today at GC!

I think I’ll go practice

LS

Last edited by notenoughbooks; 08-02-2019 at 10:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion