The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM
jeffloan jeffloan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Default Taylor Academy 12E vs Martin DJR-10

I can either get the Taylor used but in pristine condition for $550 or the New Martin for $450. Help me decide. Thanks

Last edited by jeffloan; 10-19-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:06 PM
cliff_the_stiff cliff_the_stiff is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 43
Default

I prefer the Martin. No question.
__________________
Impossible to see, the future is.

Taylor 612-12fret Maple/ Spruce
Martin J40 EIRW/ Spruce
Taylor 514ce Mahogany/ Cedar
Taylor 562ce Mahogany 12 fret 12 string
Alvarez Yairi Classical Burled Mahogany/ Cedar
Ibanez acoustic bass
Gretsch G5122 Electromatic Hollow Body
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gretsch G9350 Mandolin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Mike McLenison Mike McLenison is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 445
Default

Martin regardless of the model.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:30 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,341
Default

First off, welcome to the forum!

I've played the Taylor and was surprised at how good it was. I own the original Martin D Jr. 2 (2015). I've not played the new version of the D Jr.10

Nobody can really make that decision for you but only tell you our own preferences. I can point out the pros and cons to both (at least in my view);

The Taylor

Pros

-the arm bevel is a very nice touch previously featured on only their high end models

-the gigbag is likely quite a bit nicer than the one that comes with the Martin

-it has a slightly longer scale than the Martin, so if you ever use a capo....

-the stock pickup likely sounds better than the Fishman in the Martin

Cons

-laminate back and sides, won't have that "vintage" tone years from now like the Martin will

-1 11/16 nut width. Many players prefer a bit more space there



The Martin

Pros

-all solid woods and will sound better as it ages

-1.75 nut width, excellent if you prefer more space for your fretting hand. Great for fingerstyle

Cons

-shorter scale (24") and might be a problem for some, but also makes for a slightly more comfortable/ intimate experience

-the pickup will not sound as nice as the stock Taylor ESB, and also does not have a built in tuner

-it's been reported that the gigbag for these is just okay, but Taylor is known for having some of the nicest gigbags in the business. I have a custom D Jr. hardshell case for my guitar so I can't speak from first hand experience on either bag- but I've seen the Taylor bags here on the forum and at airports. Very nice!
__________________
Less time wasting and more music creation
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 PM
jeffloan jeffloan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
First off, welcome to the forum!



I've played the Taylor and was surprised at how good it was. I own the original Martin D Jr. 2 (2015). I've not played the new version of the D Jr.10



Nobody can really make that decision for you but only tell you our own preferences. I can point out the pros and cons to both (at least in my view);



The Taylor



Pros



-the arm bevel is a very nice touch previously featured on only their high end models



-the gigbag is likely quite a bit nicer than the one that comes with the Martin



-it has a slightly longer scale than the Martin, so if you ever use a capo....



-the stock pickup likely sounds better than the Fishman in the Martin



Cons



-laminate back and sides, won't have that "vintage" tone years from now like the Martin will



-1 11/16 nut width. Many players prefer a bit more space there







The Martin



Pros



-all solid woods and will sound better as it ages



-1.75 nut width, excellent if you prefer more space for your fretting hand. Great for fingerstyle



Cons



-shorter scale (24") and might be a problem for some, but also makes for a slightly more comfortable/ intimate experience



-the pickup will not sound as nice as the stock Taylor ESB, and also does not have a built in tuner



-it's been reported that the gigbag for these is just okay, but Taylor is known for having some of the nicest gigbags in the business. I have a custom D Jr. hardshell case for my guitar so I can't speak from first hand experience on either bag- but I've seen the Taylor bags here on the forum and at airports. Very nice!
Thanks so much. The Martin didn't have electronics at that price. My fingers are short and fat. Do you think the 1.75 but will help it hurt my playing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:47 PM
DukeX DukeX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,054
Default

Buy the one you like. One is not better than the other.

I haven't played the new Academy series, but when I was in your position I auditioned the Martin DJR and the Taylor Big Baby. The Taylor was the easy winner for me. It sounds great (I like the crisper sound), plays great, and I love the longer 25.5 scale.

The Martin is an excellent guitar as well, just different.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2019, 02:21 PM
AZLiberty AZLiberty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffloan View Post
Thanks so much. The Martin didn't have electronics at that price. My fingers are short and fat. Do you think the 1.75 but will help it hurt my playing.
I have short stubby fingers. I find wider fretboards much, much, easier to play, especially when the scale length gets shorter.

Of the two, I much prefer the Martin.
__________________
Larrivee OM-03RE; O-01
Martin D-35; Guild F-212; Tacoma Roadking
Breedlove American Series C20/SR
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Shadowfox Shadowfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,125
Default

Also for that price, I'd look at a Yamaha A series.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2019, 03:03 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffloan View Post
Thanks so much. The Martin didn't have electronics at that price. My fingers are short and fat. Do you think the 1.75 but will help it hurt my playing.
If you could play both before buying that would be ideal. Your ears and hands would tell you pretty quickly which you preferred. Having said that, the Martin with no pickup isn't a big deal. I put a JJB 330 SBT in mine and LOVE IT, I mean like it's the best gutiar/pickup combo I've ever used and I've had a few acoustics in the last 15 or so years. Here are a couple videos so you can here side-by-side. There are many comparing the Taylor GS Mini to the Martin D Jr10, but not the Academy. Please note that I picked videos that feature both guitars unamplified.



__________________
Less time wasting and more music creation
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2019, 04:08 PM
mercy mercy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Inland Empire, So California
Posts: 4,266
Default

I dont like tiny guitars, they are hard tohold and therefore hard to play. If Martin had a guitar with the specs of the Taylor Id choose Martin but since theres is a lot more than the Taylor Id say go with the taylor.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-19-2019, 04:27 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I dont like tiny guitars, they are hard tohold and therefore hard to play. If Martin had a guitar with the specs of the Taylor Id choose Martin but since theres is a lot more than the Taylor Id say go with the taylor.
YMDV (your mileage does vary). Curious comment here- small guitars are hard to hold? I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs and love small guitars. OM or Concert size is as large as I will go, and every time I play a Dread or Jumbo I find them uncomfortable and in a short while. Small guitars also have built in feedback rejection, another reason for liking them for live playing.
__________________
Less time wasting and more music creation

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-19-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:07 PM
mercy mercy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Inland Empire, So California
Posts: 4,266
Default

Im trying to be helpful to the OP. What I meant was that I find parlor's hard to play, I just havent been able to find a way to hold them and play at the same time. Im a veteran of 60 yrs of playing so no newbie. I also find I have to use a neck up for 00, dreads are too big for me as I am of average size. 000's are perfect, I can wedge them against 3 points and am free to play. Thank you for helping me to clarify my post.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-19-2019, 11:49 PM
jeffloan jeffloan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im trying to be helpful to the OP. What I meant was that I find parlor's hard to play, I just havent been able to find a way to hold them and play at the same time. Im a veteran of 60 yrs of playing so no newbie. I also find I have to use a neck up for 00, dreads are too big for me as I am of average size. 000's are perfect, I can wedge them against 3 points and am free to play. Thank you for helping me to clarify my post.
I don't quite understand alot of what you're saying. But I appreciate you helping me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:39 AM
AZLiberty AZLiberty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im trying to be helpful to the OP. What I meant was that I find parlor's hard to play,
Well, the Dread Jr. is a Dread Shaped OM/000 size guitar (15" lower bout). So, it's actually a bit larger than an OM.

The Taylor 12e is also OM/000 size (15" lower bout).

Neither of these could be considered even close to a Parlor size.

I do think that the narrower fretboard on the Taylor is a bit tight though.
__________________
Larrivee OM-03RE; O-01
Martin D-35; Guild F-212; Tacoma Roadking
Breedlove American Series C20/SR
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-20-2019, 05:37 AM
drawshot1975 drawshot1975 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 356
Default

Both options are great. Both are amazing guitars, and each model has its benefits.

I'm a Taylor fanboy....and currently shopping for another one...but of the two, I'd pick the Martin. The scale length is great for general purpose, anytime playing. The full nut width is awesome. The tone of mine is amazing.

Can't go wrong with either, though!
__________________
'19 Martin 000-18
'19 Taylor 224ce DLX
'17 Martin DJr-2A
'19 Yamaha FS830

'12 PRS Stripped 58
'19 PRS Hollowbody II
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=