The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

One of the best uses I’ve found for WD-40 is removing tar spots from car paint. I’ve detailed cars (professionally at a one point) for years and am VERY OCD about pretty much everything. That being said, once I’ve used it I wash the vehicle and then proceed with detailing afterwards. But guitar string cleaning...uhhh I’ll stick with the ”just change the strings” crowd.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 AM

I use WD-40 for a lot of things, but cleaning my guitars strings doesn't really sound to good to me...... Pun intended
Old 10-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
No way.

Aside from the obvious deleterious effects on wood and fingers, leaving the strings coated with oil is just going to attract more dirt.

My dad firmly believed in WD-40's magical cleaning abilities. Every time he and my mom rode their bikes, he would spray down the gears and derailleur with it. I took a look at his bike when he started having trouble with the chain. The derailleur was so solidly gummed up with WD-40 and dirt that its gears had simply frozen, and the chain had worn the teeth off them. "But WD-40 wouldn't do that! It's a cleaner and a lubricant!"
I collect, clean and fix typewriters as one of my hobbies. The words I hate to hear when I go to buy a machine are, "I just cleaned it with WD40!"
Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
I don’t quite get it. Lots of bad comments about WD40, yet we oil our fretboards with lemon and linseed oils, clean our strings with specialized cleaning products that contain who knows what, and String our guitars with coated strings...
I use copious amounts of mineral oil on fretboards, nothing else.
WD40 can be used on strings before they are installed to help extend life. I would never spray it near the guitar.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
I don’t quite get it. Lots of bad comments about WD40, yet we oil our fretboards with lemon and linseed oils, clean our strings with specialized cleaning products that contain who knows what, and String our guitars with coated strings...
OK, I don't do any of that - so I suppose it's alright that I think WD-40 is a crazy idea for strings. ;-)
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Spray a small amount of WD-40 on a cloth and then wipe down the strings.
Have something between the strings and the fret board, to keep the WD-40 from contacting the fret board.
Don't over do it.

There are products on the market to do this.
I would suggest that these products would be a better choice.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Only if the choice was between WD-400 and Goo Gone.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Naturally, the people and companies that make and sell those products would like us to use them lavishly and often...
If you were to email the makers of Comet, Boraxo, Pepsodent and EZ-Off and ask them if their product will clean guitar strings, I bet they'd all say yes.

Couch Standards
Old 10-19-2019, 12:23 PM

How would you save in string cost over a year ?
Would it pay the WD-40 ? :-/
Is it worth a fretboard on a beloved guitar ? :-(
Old 10-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Is it worth a fretboard on a beloved guitar ? :-(
If a guitar in my house smelled like that, my wife would banish it to the garage and the cats would try to bury it.

Couch Standards
Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstrummer View Post
I collect, clean and fix typewriters as one of my hobbies. The words I hate to hear when I go to buy a machine are, "I just cleaned it with WD40!"
You share that hobby with Tom Hanks. Apparently if you type him a letter, he'll type one back.

I think that's a great hobby, actually. I'm still sorry I didn't take my dad's Remington Rand Model 17 when he offered it to me. I learned to type on that giant iron behemoth, and he banged out his entire doctoral thesis on it. (I remember hearing it clatter while he worked on that.)

I don't know what became of it. I know my sister didn't want it either. Probably went to the scrapyard.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:59 PM

A little Napalm on a rag works too but keep it away from your skin .. and your house.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-19-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev0882 View Post
So, I was watching CNBC yesterday and they were interviewing the CEO of whoever makes WD. While they were interviewing him they had a side caption of maybe 7 or 8 uses for the product. And one of these Uses was ‘cleans guitar strings’. At first I LOL’d. But had anyone ever cleaned their guitar strings with WD?
I can see how he thinks its a great idea for his company, but do you think that it's a great idea to be constantly absorbing that through your fingers into your body?...That's exactly what will be happening...

My wife and I are currently on a kick to remove chemicals from our lives wherever we can...My guitar strings is definitely a place where I can control that...

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM

This subject has come up before. The last time it did I went to the WD-40 website, and they’ve got a whole page of dubious “things you can use WD-40 for!” and an open invitation to the public to submit more ideas.

The company is clearly interested in promoting their product as being suitable for many, many uses. But that doesn’t mean all or even any of their suggestions are worthwhile.

whm
Old 10-19-2019, 03:15 PM

WD-40 is actually a pretty amazing cleaner that I use very frequently in my shop. I buy it by the gallon and put it in a spray bottle. I have never seen it damage any surface in a cleaning context. I would have never thought of using it to clean guitar strings, but I bet it would work pretty well if you sprayed it on a rag and pinched it around a string. I can't see how it would harm the fret board given that we use other oil products there. I'm certainly not going to try it on my better guitars but I might give it a go on a beater.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion