The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Rolex's keep perfect time and have calibre capable movements. If you buy a new one and need it adjusted, it will be adjusted to perfection under warranty. If you buy it used (most people who have one that isn't performing properly) you have to put it in the shop and make it right. Like a Ferrari, Porsche, Tag Heuer, Rolls Royce... or other very high-end product, you need to put it in the shop every 7-10 years for full service. They are also meant to be worn every day not periodically. Many people buy a used Rolex that hasn't been serviced and worn properly (cleaned and adjusted) ever and expect it to run perfectly. Just like the high-precision car, if its not serviced properly you may have performance issues. If you had put your Rolex in the shop and had it serviced properly it would have run perfectly. Every 7-10 years you need to put it in the shop (usually takes 2-3 months) and have it serviced for $300-$500. Like most very high-end performance products - if you have to ask how much.............

Added: Omega watches are also superb and a great value. They require servicing on the same schedule as Rolex to maintain their accuracy. Any of these, not being worn, need to be on watch winders and kept running.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 10-19-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am an unabashed Taylor fan.

That 314 sounded awful. Like something was seriously wrong with it.

That does not change the fact that the Eastmans sounded GREAT. But something was seriously amiss with the Taylor as well.
I believe the action, per his own reference to it early in the video, was probably too low to use as an honest comparison to the other guitars. The higher the action, the better the guitar responds. Martin, and I suppose Taylor as well as others, set their strings at their optimum height for that reason.

The man seems honest enough but if I was to salvage myself from bad press I would find a bad sounding Taylor as the Unholy Grail and wield it unmercifully in my own defense. This video smacks of that. But, because we're emboldened with our sense of fair play and a mantra to live and let live, he gets a kitchen pass.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I believe the action, per his own reference to it early in the video, was probably too low to use as an honest comparison to the other guitars. The higher the action, the better the guitar responds. Martin, and I suppose Taylor as well as others, set their strings at their optimum height for that reason.

The man seems honest enough but if I was to salvage myself from bad press I would find a bad sounding Taylor as the Unholy Grail and wield it unmercifully in my own defense. This video smacks of that. But, because we're emboldened with our sense of fair play and a mantra to live and let live, he gets a kitchen pass.
It was a trade in. He did no such thing as seeking it out intentionally as a bad example...lol

Having said this, I agree with your assessment that the action not being ideal is a bit unfair...fair point...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-19-2019, 11:14 AM

He definitely should have had his guy do a proper setup before shooting the comparison. It does make a difference and of course people will write off the comparison if one of the guitars is not optimally setup.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
It was a trade in. He did no such thing as seeking it out intentionally as a bad example...lol

Having said this, I agree with your assessment that the action not being ideal is a bit unfair...fair point...
Fair enough, but we don't know what he had up his sleeve.

Perhaps he did not consciously source a poorly suited Taylor for the comparison but he certainly took advantage of the happy coincidence of one dropping into his lap. A man of some knowledge of set-ups and their bearing on sound, he knew exactly what he was doing by using the poorly set up Taylor for the comparison. If I read his smugness correctly, he seemed happy to run with the deception; especially by his body language and reference to his personal status and clout by representing himself in a somewhat incoherent channeling of Bourgeois.

BTW, I'm not a Taylor shill so by no means or intent am I using this man's example of business acumen to defend the brand against his self-defense posturing. He's a perfect example of people who live in glass houses.

I'm sure the Eastman line-up is a solid product. This video is nothing about comparing products as it is a single man defending himself against a previous onslaught from viewers of his previous video. He sets that up very clearly and spends the lion's share of his time in personal damage control. I think he thinks the video exonerated him but any keen eye will only bury him deeper.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 AM

It's weird, because I sit here playing my Lowden, Martin, and two V Class Taylors ... And they're all great. The 314 in that video is the worst sounding Taylor I've heard and each of my seven previous Taylors, 3 V Class, sound nothing like it.

Something is off, for sure.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
It's weird, because I sit here playing my Lowden, Martin, and two V Class Taylors ... And they're all great. The 314 in that video is the worst sounding Taylor I've heard and each of my seven previous Taylors, 3 V Class, sound nothing like it.

Something is off, for sure.
These are great 114 model Taylor guitars and sound better than the 314 in that video. And not too expensive either!

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 10-21-2019, 11:05 PM

I didn't like the V-braced in direct comparisons with x-braced when I played them at guitar shops, but I don't really like the Taylor sound as well as Gibson and Martin (even though I own two Taylors).

Some of the difference you're hearing is the Elixirs. I play and use Elixirs because I'm lazy, but they are a downgrade in sound from newer, regular
strings. They're an improvement on regular strings that are old.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I watch and enjoy his videos. Pretty straight up guy. If I lived in Europe, he would be my go to guy for guitars.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Not a bad summary but I will say: There is a growing bias against Taylor because of v class...my opinion...

If anything, the comments in this thread have tempered a bit my willingness to generalize too much about how widespread the "thinness" in the Taylor line is because of v class...I'm going to try to keep more of an open mind...

Who knows, I may need to look around more. The Yamaha LL36 I'm supposed to get might not be coming...Not sure yet, but there might have been a mix up...Starting to feel like Yamaha Canada might have promised me a unit that was already spoken for...I'm hoping to know next week what the heck is going on...bah...Maybe I'll trial a few more Taylors just in case ;-0
Just wondering - fellow Canuck here; did you go through Cosmo for the Yamaha? They seem to carry a large selection.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Just wondering - fellow Canuck here; did you go through Cosmo for the Yamaha? They seem to carry a large selection.
Hi there,

No, I purchased mine through Long and Mcquade built to order. In the end I actually ended up with a 56, because my original 36 order got botched by Yamaha Canada. 7 months went by and no guitar came because the order was messed up. I ended up reordering a 56 at a greatly reduced price for my troubles.

I think Cosmo sometimes has them in stock though if you get lucky.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion