The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Home recording

Hey does anyone have any experience using the Korg D3200? Is it any good? Would I get better quality using a usb interface and software? Thx

Last edited by Woodchoppersbal; 10-03-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchoppersbal View Post
Hey does anyone have any experience using the Korg D3200? Is it any good? Would I get better quality using a usb interface and software? Thx
Long ago I considered the Korg 3200 but 2 of my friends had them and they both told me to avoid it due to an issue they both experienced with REALLY long "save" times for projects.

That was when I wanted to migrate away from my old VS machine that used proprietary format for the data files.

I went with a Zoom R24 and it works quite well. Consider all of the factors if you want to go with an interface and computer.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:36 AM

Stand-alone recorder vs computer recording - long-going debate.
It depends on your level of technical ability.
It depends on what you want to 'do' with your recordings, the types of music/multi-tracking desire, etc.

Stand-alone - no pointing and clicking on a computer screen; no computer needed for the recording process; short learning curve.

Computer - many choices of DAW (software); unlimited # of tracks (except with 'limited edition' DAW releases); AUTOMATION (once you get used to automating volume and other parameters, you never want to go back to a stand-alone); virtual instruments (MIDI); unlimited number of plug-ins (FX) available; easy to share files/projects with others; everything is in the computer to share already, no transferring from another device.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Check out the threads here on the Spire recorder. Like the Zoom recorders you have the choice of either on board mics that are very good or you can plug in external mics that could be better. The Spire goes a step further than the Zoom recorders with an app makes it super easy from your mobile device to get the recording (up to 8 tracks) and do some basic editing and mixing. You also have the option to export to your favorite DAW and it’s easy to share your music files all from your iPad/iPhone or Android.

The Spire is now my go to answer for anyone looking to get started with home recording. Of course YMMV 😉.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchoppersbal View Post
You may find my old "Home Recording" web page of interest. The photos are no longer available, but the web archive still has all the text available.

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html
Old 10-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Check out the threads here on the Spire recorder. Like the Zoom recorders you have the choice of either on board mics that are very good or you can plug in external mics that could be better. The Spire goes a step further than the Zoom recorders with an app makes it super easy from your mobile device to get the recording (up to 8 tracks) and do some basic editing and mixing. You also have the option to export to your favorite DAW and it’s easy to share your music files all from your iPad/iPhone or Android.

The Spire is now my go to answer for anyone looking to get started with home recording. Of course YMMV 😉.
I have a Spire and really like it. I had a four track cassette recorder 35 years ago, spent time trying to work with DAWs, and the Spire is overwhelmingly the easiest and most straight-forward recording setup I've ever used. BUT, that ease of use comes at the price of it not being very powerful. So there's a tradeoff. It's mixing is not dynamic - you can't change the location or volume of a track at different times in the song - you set it and it's like that through the whole song. The punch in capability is really limited and the punch out is non-existent. And there are effects, but they have to be set before recording - they can't be added or taken away after the track is recorded. You can import the tracks to a DAW for further work, which I assume can eliminate the first and third issues I raised, but then you're into a different level of difficulty.

For simple multi-track recording, there's nothing better. It's definitely the best solution for my meager recording needs. But if you know what you're doing and want some power, it's not the best way to go...

-Ray
Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Stand-alone recorder vs computer recording - long-going debate.
It depends on your level of technical ability.
It depends on what you want to 'do' with your recordings, the types of music/multi-tracking desire, etc.

Stand-alone - no pointing and clicking on a computer screen; no computer needed for the recording process; short learning curve.

Computer - many choices of DAW (software); unlimited # of tracks (except with 'limited edition' DAW releases); AUTOMATION (once you get used to automating volume and other parameters, you never want to go back to a stand-alone); virtual instruments (MIDI); unlimited number of plug-ins (FX) available; easy to share files/projects with others; everything is in the computer to share already, no transferring from another device.
I agree Mike, Automation is something not really discussed much (probably not widely understood) here on AGF but is arguably one of the most beneficial and powerful features of DAW recording, perhaps second only to the vast array of non destructive editing and processing features .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I have a Spire and really like it. I had a four track cassette recorder 35 years ago, spent time trying to work with DAWs, and the Spire is overwhelmingly the easiest and most straight-forward recording setup I've ever used. BUT, that ease of use comes at the price of it not being very powerful. So there's a tradeoff. It's mixing is not dynamic - you can't change the location or volume of a track at different times in the song - you set it and it's like that through the whole song. The punch in capability is really limited and the punch out is non-existent. And there are effects, but they have to be set before recording - they can't be added or taken away after the track is recorded. You can import the tracks to a DAW for further work, which I assume can eliminate the first and third issues I raised, but then you're into a different level of difficulty.

For simple multi-track recording, there's nothing better. It's definitely the best solution for my meager recording needs. But if you know what you're doing and want some power, it's not the best way to go...

-Ray
I agree with Ray here as I use the Spire primarily for my own self diagnostics on being able to easily record and then playback and do my own self critique on how well I am playing a song or section of a song. But if you have good mics and good room acoustics, it’s impressive what you can get with it. You can do the same with a Zoom H2, H4, H5, or H6 but it’s easier with Spire IMO. Like Ray, I believe if you are looking to do single track acoustic recording with minimal post processing, the Spire is a great tool to have.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 PM

I own and have used a Korg D1600. It's a great unit only limited by it's onboard effects. As the D3200 is only available used, I don't think it's a good investment nowadays. I stopped using my D1600 when the hard drive was giving me issues. And newer hard drives are not compatible with my D1600. I've since moved on to a laptop computer, interface and DAW software. The old Korg standalones are decent but not future proof.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD