The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Peek inside a Zoom H6

Fun little adventure tonight. Yesterday, the SD card stuck inside my Zoom H6, had to pull it out with pliers. After that, SD cards wouldn't eject. Hmm, well seemed like a good time to start shopping for the new F6, but I thought maybe I could at least try to fix the H6, and if I failed, oh well. I started looking for screws and found that there are 6 on the bottom, 4 of which are hidden under rubber "feet" that pop out. Removing those and the knobs, it came apart easily:

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

With the top off, you can see all the circuit boards and so on. The SD reader is under the small board on the top, which is attached with a connector and 1 screw.

IMG_4071.jpg

After removing the top card, I could see the issue with the SD card reader - one of the small retaining clips is bent. I think the problem was that I inserted a card that was broken, and it caught on this clip, which I then bent when I forced it out.

IMG_4070.jpg

I was able to straighten out that clip, put it all back together and it still seems to work! Interesting to see what all is jammed into this little box.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi Doug

Thanks for the insight!!! Glad it's working again…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM

if u get the f6 please sell that h6 to a foolish, sad, and poor college student for an outstanding price!

(tiny tim from a christmas carol voice or oliver twist voice) *cough* mr could i use your lighter? i am cold, i will use it for warmth *cough* *cough*

Last edited by LemonCats; 10-18-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Interesting .. possible to infer how much the cost price would be for such parts Doug? Not withstanding Zoom ip of course..
The buttons on the f6 are quite tiny - you really got to see it for yourself. By comparison the h6’s interface is well laid out, most things you need is on the surface.
I’m leaning towards a h6 at this point, just waiting for the year end sales. [emoji23]
Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Interesting .. possible to infer how much the cost price would be for such parts Doug?
I don't have the expertise to judge cost of parts. From some old association with computer hardware, what I recall as a rule of thumb was that parts usually don't exceed 10% of sales price. No idea if that applies here, but it makes sense. The actual parts have to be a relatively small component of the total, which includes cost of design, development, assembly, marketing, sales, distribution, retail markup, support, etc, etc. I imagine this applies to virtually any manufactured item.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM

Doug, you've been my hero for a long time, but this adventure elevates your status even further.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 AM

I was always concerned with that happening with mine, so I purchased a short SD card extender and just leave that plugged in...that way when I plug and unplug the SD cards all the action is with the extender and not the Zoom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD