The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-17-2020, 02:35 PM

Default Composite Acoustics - still in stock

I just dropped in for the first time in months on my way back from a work meeting. They had four CA guitars on the walls in the acoustic room - a black Ox, a raw Cargo, a gloss blue Cargo, and a gloss black Cargo. I understand that the Nampa store also has several more in stock, plus Brian the counter guy said, "We have a bunch in the warehouse too". Never mind that the CA listing has disappeared from the store's web site, they still have several brand new ones. No direct affiliation here, I just like this store and know that some folks still want to get a CA guitar. FYI.

Dorsey Music
(208) 853-4141 Boise
(208) 466-5681 Nampa
www.dorseymusic.com
Old 09-17-2020, 02:57 PM

I could be talked into an Ox, though I don't want one with an amp. Too bad the store doesn't have them listed online.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I could be talked into an Ox, though I don't want one with an amp. Too bad the store doesn't have them listed online.
Still love my OX.. a great guitar
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
That is why I provided phone numbers Tom - call and see what they have if there is serious interest. They had not even realized that the CA stock was no longer shown on their website until I told them, and might fix that soon. I think that the Cargo's have electronics, but not sure about the black Ox or the burgundy Gx at the other store. I have played them all, but not recently. Sine I'm not in the market I did not play the Ox today (they would have to wipe it down afterward).

My cup runneth over with CF guitars these days (and in fact may be downsizing a bit over the coming months) so this is all for the edification of the carbonistas here.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That is why I provided phone numbers Tom - call and see what they have if there is serious interest. They had not even realized that the CA stock was no longer shown on their website until I told them, and might fix that soon. I think that the Cargo's have electronics, but not sure about the black Ox or the burgundy Gx at the other store. I have played them all, but not recently. Sine I'm not in the market I did not play the Ox today (they would have to wipe it down afterward).

My cup runneth over with CF guitars these days (and in fact may be downsizing a bit over the coming months) so this is all for the edification of the carbonistas here.
In negotiations. Might have to let go of something first. Not sure I am ready to take that step.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I think I’d want to have a much better idea of CA’s current status (and future prospects) before I dropped serious coin on a ‘brand new’ CA guitar.

I know there’s been some speculation here over the last year or two, so please forgive me if there’s some new development I’ve missed. Their website does not exactly inspire confidence.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-19-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I think I’d want to have a much better idea of CA’s current status (and future prospects) before I dropped serious coin on a ‘brand new’ CA guitar.

I know there’s been some speculation here over the last year or two, so please forgive me if there’s some new development I’ve missed. Their website does not exactly inspire confidence.
I think you can safely assume they are down for the count.

With stainless frets and CF overall, if it is ok on delivery that is as good as it is going to get anyway. Warranties are largely hard to collect on and often disappointing if you look closely at the repair, if your problem is covered at all.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-19-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I think you can safely assume they are down for the count.
Pretty much the conclusion I’d come to.

Quote:
With stainless frets and CF overall, if it is ok on delivery that is as good as it is going to get anyway. Warranties are largely hard to collect on and often disappointing if you look closely at the repair, if your problem is covered at all.
You’re pretty much spot on, I think. Most post-delivery issues from the primary CF makers seem to be dealt with by rebuild, not repair. Not a lot of leeway to tweak above standard setup adjustments.

So, if you get a duff CA from someone’s current stock, and it has a warranty-level problem, you’ll be limited to whatever else is in that current stock for replacement.

I’d want a pretty good assurance from the dealer as to how that eventuality would be handled.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-19-2020, 05:01 PM

As a courtesy to my fellow AGF carbonistas, I could make a trip to the store and test drive it prior to shipping. Either store is about a 20 minute drive from me, and they would be happy to deliver any guitar between stores. We could even Facetime or Zoom during the test drive. I could even bring along some rulers and measure things like nut width and action.

You are right to assume that CA is no more and that the warranty is useless.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
As a courtesy to my fellow AGF carbonistas, I could make a trip to the store and test drive it prior to shipping. Either store is about a 20 minute drive from me, and they would be happy to deliver any guitar between stores. We could even Facetime or Zoom during the test drive. I could even bring along some rulers and measure things like nut width and action.
You, Sir, are a:

1) gentleman and a scholar
2) real prince
3) top bloke

Now, don’t get carried away. You only get to pick one

Quote:
You are right to assume that CA is no more and that the warranty is useless.
I thought that was the case.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Or how about option 4:
4) Serious enabler who likes to help spend someone else's money.

Brian at the counter seemed genuinely surprised to hear that CA had gone under, but the store owner Dorsey is no doubt aware. I really don't know for sure about CA's status either way other than threads here, and should have said "probably" about the warranty being useless. Peavey might find some way to stand behind it?? Or not.....

I probably won't be logging on here much in the next couple of weeks given my pending work schedule, but will browse when possible. (PM's don't get seen unless you log in). Email me to trade contact information if anyone wants to connect for further enabling, as time permits. My email is noisebuster <AT> hotmail.com.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 PM
Guest 928

I like all four options--Earl is a valuable member of this forum.

The Peavey renditions of CA guitars were carefully brought on line and I suspect that they are worthy acquisitions. I owned a pre- and post- Cargo and I was amazed at the difference in quality. CA put out some remarkable instruments and Peavey made some remarkable improvements.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, composite acoustics