The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-28-2020, 03:09 PM
Guest 928

Mr. K;

What do you mean "what!" You may disavow nylon strung instruments but I've noticed you always seem to be around when they become discussed. And I've you play a nylon string guitar. And you do live close to Mexico.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tom;

I've played the Leviora and listened to the Dlutowski. They seem to be very good instruments, but as you note, they do not reflect the innovative features introduced by Alistair. If I am going with CF I want something more than a traditionally built guitar--otherwise I could just pick up a nice wooden instrument.
If Alistair decides to make a pair of them I could be interested. You do all the talking and let me know when I should grab a credit card. My only requests for mine are a dark weave, no electronics and just a gig bag. Email me when this starts getting serious as I'm not always on AGF.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-28-2020, 05:39 PM
Guest 928

Mot;

I'm not holding my breath while waiting for an Emerald Flamenco guitar. Alistair might be able to use the new 7 mold for the sides and back but I think he would have to knock off an inch to eliminate the ridged off-set sound hole. That's doable, but it takes time.

The really part would be the top. The Flamenco face tapers down to the edges and I'm not sure how you do that with CF. Maybe a thin CF face with a veneer set an inch away from the side edges?

And then there's the question of bracing. A good Flamenco guitar has tailored bracing to augment the trebles and moderate the bas.

And then there's market. The steel string market is bigly. The classical guitar market is moderate. The Flamenco market is small.

There are lots of obstacles to a CF Flamenco guitar. Unless you build it just like a traditional wooden guitar.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:15 PM

Never know until you ask. Wake with the morning sunlight to find fortune that is smiling on you.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-29-2020, 06:39 AM

I understand wanting a particular builder to make something.

I've also gone the other way when a particular builder had at least one bite of the apple, that of buying a successful and proven implementation from another builder, if only to learn and explore that solution. That way, I could either stick with it because it worked, or could sell it and chalk up the "rental" fee as an educational cost.

I'd be either seeing if there was a Dlutowski nearby, or buying one, especially if Emerald hadn't gotten there yet after a few tries. Nothing succeeds like success, and I could learn something, and even ship it to Emerald to see if they could glean something after many attempts which hadn't pleased me.

Of course, that's just my way of actually achieving the stated goal, a CF flamenco guitar which sounds great.

Cheers!
Old 08-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Guest 928

Explorer;

Thank you for the thought. The Dlutowski seems as if it's built along traditional lines--I could just as well send Alistair any good wooden Flamenco guitar as a model. The only thing that seems proprietary is whatever Dlutowski is doing for face material. Other than that, with Alistair, I'm looking for ergonomic innovation.

I suspect the best idea is to just ask Alistair if he'd like to explore the making of a Flamenco.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Guest 928

My brother-in-law just gave me his Yamaha Flamenco guitar. I'll have it by early next week. I'd hoped that my nephew would have sent me one of his, but no.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:09 PM

Sounds like the Brother-In-Law is a keeper. Hope you can say the same about the n⃫e⃫p⃫h⃫e⃫w⃫ Yamaha Flamenco.

Old 08-29-2020, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

Tom; He is a keeper. We are world's apart in our political views so we don't talk politics. We play music instead--a much healthier activity.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:18 PM
Guest 928

And so, Alistair is busy at the moment and will not be working on my new guitar in the near future.

Also, I got my brother-in-laws Yamaha and my Flamenco aspirations may be short lived. It's been a long time since I've played a 2" nut on a flat fret board--and I find it pretty awkward after my 1 7/8" nut on Emerald with slight- radius fret boards. The long scale is also daunting.

I'm ordering new strings for the Yamaha and will persist for a while. In the meantime I am looking out for other variations of flamenco guitars. Also, in the meantime, I am hanging on to my X10 acoustic/electric. If I find a wooden flamenco guitar that pleases me as much as the Emerald classical guitar then I may go to wood.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM

Default C'est la vie

I could be very interested in a used acoustic/electric classical X10, so if you do find a path forward such that you want to move the X10 to a new home I could keep it for a while or longer to cover your next dream guitar.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm not meaning to kick a live flamingo, but the Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio has the 1 7/8th nut width you speak of. I promise I won't mention that guitar again. I switched from a 2" Yamaha nylon to the Cordoba for the same reason.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:53 AM
Guest 928

JD;

Feel free to continue mentioning the GK studio. I've been looking at it and thinking of how it would be in CF. I'll be checking my local GC and if a GK is available I'll probably trade in the Yamaha. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 PM
Guest 928

The Emerald Flamenco is now out of the question. Alistair is out for the moment. In the meantime I've been looking at wooden flamenco guitars and have been playing the one I got from my brother-in-law. That search, too, is now history.

Its been a long time since I've played a guitar with a 2" nut, a super long scale, a flat fret board, and hard edges. The experience has led me to fully appreciate my Emerald X10 acoustic/electric.

Classical and Flamenco guitars started out somewhat similar--flat fret boards, super wide nut widths, and so forth. But the classical side of the guitar family has been through innovations not common in Flamenco models.

Wooden and CF classical guitars have shortened nut widths. In the old days, with gut and early-nylon strings, there was a lot of slop and the strings needed space (which was also good for players). Flamenco guitars tend to continue with the wider nuts while classical guitars have moved through a lot of innovation.

Classical wooden and CF guitars have shorter nut widths and fret boards with radius. Contemporary classical guitars also have cut-a-ways, something not found on most flamenco instruments. And electronics, if you want them.

Alistair taken all of the contemporary advancements of classical guitars and gone beyond them with ergonomic, light-weight, face-changed guitars.

My flamenco guitar has made me appreciate the Emerald X10. It is, I believe, as good as it currently gets. It's a big change from the traditional, old-time classical instrument and is marvelous. It doesn't have the punch of my-brother-in-laws Ramirez, but it is better in all other respects--easier to play, easier to keep tuned, easier to maintain, easier to hold, with great tonal qualities.

And so, after 3 custom Emerald classic guitars, I think I have a fantastic instrument. I got the electric nylon string out of my system with 2 Emeralds and the X7 is as good any electric nylon string guitar that I've played--and I've done just about all of them (sold the ten electric to an appreciate buyer).

I won't be pursuing a Flamenco guitar. I have 2 great Emeralds and need to focus on my play.

I know that's wordy, but this search has been really motivation and I can't resist the chance to share. eb
Old 08-31-2020, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

pushed the button twice

Last edited by Guest 928; 08-31-2020 at 06:13 PM. Reason: duplicate

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber