The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Simply amazed

A mea culpa is in order regarding something I posted a few years ago in a discussion on CF guitars. I was not impressed by any model I had played, in my limited experience with them.

I recently began looking at them again, in need of a guitar to travel with in our RV, that I didn’t have to worry about. Some very nice people on the forum offered advice, and eventually I was drawn to the Emerald X30. I was certain I didn’t want a small CF guitar, as small bodied guitars don’t give me the sound I seek.

The X30 arrived last week and I’ve never been so shocked in my entire life by the sound of a guitar. This thing is a monster instrument. It’s low end is deeper and more resonant than any wooden guitar I’ve ever played, other than a 20K model made by a guy we all know named Somogyi. It’s decently balanced and played effortlessly. The K&K Pure Mini that was special ordered by the previous owner brings out all the sonic depth of the guitar.

It’s shocking to an old, previously closed minded wooden guitar player, that a CF instrument can rival and surpass MANY production guitars on the market.

I only have experience with this one brand and model, so I’m only speaking about that particular one, but I assume it’s not a one-off issue.

Oh, did I mention the big jumbo X30 is more comfortable to play than a Grand Auditorium? What a fine guitar that makes me more than willing to admit my previous ignorance.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 09-07-2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spell ck.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I think Kramster is the only one who came into this world knowing and appreciating all that carbon fiber brings to the guitar world. The rest of us had to learn by doing. I was impressed when I got my first CF guitar, but getting that first Emerald changed how I evaluate all guitars... comfort, sound/tone, and playability all come together.

Congrats on your X30!
Old 09-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
...The X30 arrived last week and I’ve never been so shocked in my entire life by the sound of a guitar. This thing is a monster instrument. It’s low end is deeper and more resonant than any wooden guitar I’ve ever played, other than a 20K model made by a guy we all know named Sogomyi. It’s decently balanced and played effortlessly...
I know that's right....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

That's just a great story, GB... congratulations! I was interested that the balance of your X30 was "decent." I got my little X-7 three years ago and one of the biggest concerns I had ahead of time was that its balance would be lacking, resembling some other small CFs I had played at the time. Yet I was delighted with the balance of my X-7... it was probably one of the biggest surprises I had. And to this day, I'm still very happy with the balance this little guitar exhibits.

Glad it's all good and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:56 AM

The ONLY reason I didn't grab an X30 when I was in Ireland in 2018 was because I already had an X20. The X30 definitely has a bigger bass than the X20, I love the way it vibrates against my chest when I was strumming it. Otherwise, they are very similar build, balance and playability in my opinion. I was considering a Synergy too (and I still like them). It gives quite a bass thump (more than a regular X20), but that X30 was something else.

I hemmed and hawed for a while made a couple of visits to play through their available inventory at the time and kept pestering Alistair. Finally, after much deliberation and listing of pros and cons I went with a Kestrel because it is also same level craftsmanship and again awesome in sound and feel.

I found out this summer that it also cuts through a crowd much better than my X20 (no amp). I have tried both and the X20 sounds louder to me but is more muffled at a distance. I also have a Lucky 13 (by Blackbird). It's also an amazing guitar for similar but different reasons. I'd hold it against anything in the small body line up.

Congratulations! Time to pass my X20 on to a kid so I can rationalize grabbing an X30. May the GAS stay with you!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-07-2020, 01:12 PM

Congrats on your X30! Enjoy
Old 09-07-2020, 01:16 PM

I currently own both X20 and X30. The X30 is a tone monster and does not feel as nearly big as its raw dimensions indicate. Many knowledgeable people compare its tone favorably to a Martin rosewood dreadnought. Still the X20 fits me better physically - and I'm not a small guy. If you are mostly a strummer or a flat picker then X30 is a great choice. If you are primarily a finger picker (like me) the X20 may be the better choice. Another approximate analogy is X30 = D-28 dreadnought and X20 = OM28 or 000-28. Each of the Emerald bodies feels one size smaller than its foot print.

My buddy who has been lusting after the X30 since day one just asked about it again about it this morning. I have promised to sell it to him when he comes up with the cash. Absolutely nothing wrong with X30, but the X20 just works better for me. YMMV.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Glad you're liking yours! There's a lot to like in the CF world, and the X30 is always spoken of very highly. My ongoing concern with the X30, and what has prevented me from buying one at this point, is that the low end is always mentioned. I like a guitar with power behind it where the highs stand out...kind of a mid-scooped sound. I sing in the middle, like a descending bass line, but when I want to accent a strum, I want to hear the high strings jump. My Sable is too balanced, or I play it in such a way that my attack doesn't bring those sounds out. And I'd be afraid that I'd have that in an X30.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-07-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations. And you really don't need to case it when you're not playing it either. Hang it on the wall near where you play. You never know - you might even find yourself reaching for it more...

Enjoy,

-Ray
Old 09-07-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Congratulations. And you really don't need to case it when you're not playing it either. Hang it on the wall near where you play. You never know - you might even find yourself reaching for it more...

Enjoy,

-Ray
+1 on that. In my mind that is basically the point of these things. Mine is on the stand at all times. I love this aspect of these guitars. For me it was THE reason I bought it. So that I could do that in my Canadian climate all year round.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber