The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Pretty much all I've ever done. I like gear as much as the next guy, but realistically, once I get up to the realm of "really good" guitars, I don't think my playing is such that I can even appreciate the difference between really good and truly great, let alone, amazingly phenominal. I've always pretty much just enjoyed what I had and loved playing.

I have a CEO-7 I consider a really really good acoustic guitar - maybe great but I'm sure there are those with luthier built guitars and vintage guitars who would say mine is barely passable. But it sounds like it's supposed to and plays like a dream, so it's all I need. For years and years and years I had a 1968 D-28 I felt the same way about. For all of my playing life I've had a strat (not all the same one, but pretty much always had one. Never spent more than about $1000 for one I've kept any length of time. A Martin and a Strat adds up to a whole lot of fun for me, playing at least one of them pretty much every day, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Always enjoy them. These days I also have an SG with P90s which I'm glad I have for a change of pace, but the strat gets the vast majority of my electric attention.

I think anything much fancier would be lost on me. I've had much more expensive electrics (briefly) and they were definitely lost on me and I moved them on quickly. I had a much more expensive acoustic for a couple days once, but actually liked it less than my less expensive stuff - sounded quite nice, but really wasn't a good fit for me. I think if I ever found myself with way too much money and my kids were doing well, I might splurge on a Pre War Guitar Co 000, which I guess would replace my CEO-7 if I really loved it. But I like the CEO-7 so much that I really have trouble seeing myself pulling that trigger even if it was within reach. I wouldn't have any more fun, I wouldn't play any more or better. I'd hear a bit of a difference at first, but then I'd take it for granted as a new baseline. Probably wouldn't do it.

I'll just keep on playing, mostly not very well, but loving every minute of it. On whatever guitar is in front of me at the moment.

-Ray
Old 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the replies. Silly, thank you for making and sharing your exercise video. I do believe in those movements helping a lot. Something I've found that helps me is using a microwave "warmth wrap". I've had a couple of these for years to treat an old neck injury from an auto accident. They're filled with material (often organic husks) that absorbs moisture when not in use, that when heated (in a microwave) gives off a nice, moist heat. By accident I noticed that when I held them and better yet, wrapped my hands in them feels great and really reduces pain and tightness. (I've noticed some are stuffed so tightly that they're hard and inflexible, not nearly as useful. The softer, more flexible the better.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.55.43 AM.jpg (13.5 KB, 25 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion