The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-26-2024, 11:18 PM

Default Zip Files

Please excuse my lack of computer knowledge.
I downloaded a zip file containing an application to check the inductance of loading coils. When I unzipped the file, the result was several individual folders. There is an exe. file, a read file and three additional files.
I was expecting to unzip the file and see one file to open and run the program.
Any insight into this issue would be most helpful.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:26 AM

Wow I haven't dealt with a zip file in many years. What you describe is not unusual.

I would read the readme file for directions, which will likely tell you to double click the exe file.

Of course I would first be sure the zip file was from a trusted source.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-27-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
I downloaded a zip file containing an application to check the inductance of loading coils. When I unzipped the file, the result was several individual folders. There is an exe. file, a read file and three additional files.
That's really pretty standard. I still find lots of software--particularly things like audio plugins--delivered in a zip file, and that file often has the "installer" executable, a "readme" or instruction text file, as well as numerous ancillary files and folders.

Check both the vendor's web site where you downloaded for installation instructions, and the text files from the zip itself. Barring that, is the executable named something like "install.exe" or "setup.exe"? That's usually a clue. But as Mandobart says, the exe in the main folder, after unzipping, is usually what you run to install the program.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:57 AM

Ah yes, a Zip file. By definition it's a few files "zipped together" into one. They did get a bad rep as a way to spread malware (so check yours before running the executable) but it was the best way to get large files passed around before high speed bandwidth was available/popular.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
I'm one of those strange people who tend to read and follow instructions so would start with the read me file. If one of the .exe files says setup, run it.

Newer versions of windows let you see in the file but on occasion you might still need to right click and unzip it all.

For all downloads you should check validity. You don't want something that is disguised malicious software. There might be checksum to do it. If shareware or freeware there might be a version in your Windows computer's Microsoft App Store. That is a way to get a vetted version.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:48 PM

Many thanks all. The information is much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic