The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-17-2024, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Any backcountry skiers here on AGF?

2000ft+ off-piste down to the Norwegian Sea in the Arctic.

Any backcountry skiers here on AGF? I've just been skiing with my wife on Senja Island near Tromso, Norway for the week. Most of the climbs are about 2500ft, so 3 hours or so up and one hour down.

We carried boot crampons and axes, and a rope in the party, but most of the tops we went to were ski accessible. We used ski crampons on a couple of climbs that were icy but generally it was soft enough for skinning. Descents were mixed but with enough powder sections to keep it fun!

The views are amazing! It's a really beautiful place to do day ski tours. Start at the sea, climb to a summit, then ski back to the beach!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 03-17-2024 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Any backcountry skiers here on AGF? I've just been skiing with my wife on Senja Island near Tromso, Norway for the week. Most of the climbs are about 2500ft, so 3 hours or so up and one hour down.

We carried boot crampons and axes, and a rope in the party, but most of the tops we went to were ski accessible. We used ski crampons on a couple of climbs that were icy but generally it was soft enough for skinning. Descents were mixed but with enough powder sections to keep it fun!

The views are amazing! It's a really beautiful place to do day ski tours. Start at the sea, climb to a summit, then ski back to the beach!
Very nice.

Not so much anymore, and modest when we do.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that looks spectacular!
Especially looking down at the sea from the steepish slopes. Very nice!
I did a lot of skiing when I was younger. Not much off track or back country, except for one time when a group of us took a hiking trip with ski gear to Mt. Washington in NH, camped out one night, and got to climb and ski down Tuckerman's Ravine. I recall it being even steeper than it looks here.

It's a well known spot here in New England among enthusiasts. Tough climb, but an exhilarating experience. As tired as I was that night after skiing, it was difficult getting any sleep. During the day, it was spring skiing conditions and temperatures. At night, it got so cold I thought I would freeze to death. Because of its unique location, Mt. Washington gets some of the most extreme weather on earth. Not the place to go without proper planning. But we were young and stupid.
I think you had the much better spot!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-17-2024, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Very nice!…..my backcountry skiing days are behind me now but back in the seventies and eighties in Colorado I was an avid backcountry XC/telemarking fiend. I even went to the only avalanche school in the US at the time. I lived on Wilson Mesa near Telluride and used to host full moon backcountry ski parties. We had a lovely downhill ski through an Aspen glade that brought us back to the cabin……nothing as magical I can think of except maybe new moon kayaking on a big stretch of flat water…the stars reflecting on the water makes it feel like you’re paddling through the galaxy..
Old 03-17-2024, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Looks incredible! I do a bit of backcountry and side-country from our cabin in Tahoe, but would love to do a trip like this. Really do enjoy getting away from the hordes and getting out into the mountains under our own power. Quiet and beautiful, then generally some great powder!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I used to do the back bowls at Breckenridge back in the '80s when they had a poma lift to get you up there. Fun once in a while, but as I got older I stuck to the groomed slopes.

And then I retired from it all on 12/25/22. No power left in my knees at age 66. My son inherited some nice gear.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Great to hear your experiences. I came to ski touring a bit late. I was in my late 40s when I started. My knees are holding up for telemark at 63. Not sure for how many more years!

I'm back in Norway next month and heading for the Lofoten Isles. It could be a bit of a step up from Senja. I hope that I'm up for it!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I used to do the back bowls at Breckenridge back in the '80s when they had a poma lift to get you up there. Fun once in a while, but as I got older I stuck to the groomed slopes.

And then I retired from it all on 12/25/22. No power left in my knees at age 66. My son inherited some nice gear.
My daughter and I had a Breckenridge revisit last month. This is Peak 6 after some morning bombs by the patroller. The place is a crazy different animal now from my first 1970s memories.

I'm not sure when I'll be done. Two knee injuries including some broken bone ended my season late March last year but for mid-60s I can still ski and ride MTB black a double black within reason. I'm keeping flight to low level flight. Modern gear sure helps but I keep the risks in mind.

Life seems worse to not keep going. In recovery last year I did what exercise I could and got on my gravel bike ASAP. We visited family my age while in CO. I'm bummed they're all done skiing but they do keep at fitness.

It's a good sport. Keeping your drop in and hang time mentality has helped my stay competitive in the work place too.

Old 03-17-2024, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Great photos and nice form on the telemark Robin. What a beautiful location!

I did a lot of multi-day backcountry ski trips in the California Sierras in the 70’s and 80’s. These days its mostly day hikes on snowshoes.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Sorry, double post
Old 03-19-2024, 10:50 AM

Epic Robin.

I too was in the Colorado mountains in the 70s/80s during the free-heel revival. I hung it up when i had kids and dogs to care for.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I've been ski touring in the Lofoten Islands this week. Great mountains, and great weather!

Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Dream trip! Great stuff Robin.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Dream trip! Great stuff Robin.
It's an amazing place! The mountains are around 800m to 1000m straight out of the Arctic Sea. The terrain is quite complex - lots of steeps, rocky summits and terrain traps. Not killed myself yet though

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic