The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Looks like typical shop wear for a guitar with a nitro finish (softer than polyurethane). A good luthier could buff the guitar and make it look a lot better but not perfect. ....
I agree but even I could make it look perfect. Ask the shop for a discount to allow you to have it buffed OR have them buff it. I care most about the sound and feel of a guitar. It appears to feel and sound great to you so I wouldn't let a couple of slight scratches bother me. That said, I would have negotiated a 10% discount at time of purchase if it was going to bother me. After the fact it may be difficult but I would try. You have a great guitar, don't let it bother you. Even if the shop won't do anything for you, when you take it to a luthier/tech for your set up, have them buff it out.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I agree with others that you should have gotten some additional discount; but if this guitar's tone really "spoke" to you high above all the others, it's a difficult decision. Trying 4 others is not a huge same sample size though.

I've got to ask about those palm marks...?! Can I assume they're in the photos because they won't wipe off? If so, they're pressed into the nitro, so either someone at the factory handled it before the finish was "cured" (i.e., a factory second) or someone at the store had a product on their hands that reacted with the finish. Either way IMO that's way beyond normal shop wear and would bug me much more than finish swirls.

Last edited by gmel555; 07-14-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef_ View Post
I thought I should add some pictures
https://imgur.com/a/vOY9XQC
Is this guitar from a local store or an online purchase? The finger prints show up more in the pictures than the scratches, which makes them pretty minor. If it's a local store, they won't be very impressed with you coming back with it over a little shop wear.

It's a beautiful guitar, I'd keep it and avoid second guessing that the guitar you replace it with doesn't sound as good. That's what comes next when you go down the 'did I get a good deal' rabbit hole.

Good luck which ever way you go!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budglo View Post
Honestly I would either look for a deep discount or return it. The consistency of USA Martins is pretty good. The fact that you paid retail for a demo is significant imo. What store does that? There are better options available. I would check with places like Maury’s or MFG for a better deal. Finding a great D28 at a better price shouldn’t be too hard.
I would follow this advice.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:29 AM

Looks like most people think it would be best to return it and keep looking for another d28.
The hand marks are, I hope, removable. But I don’t dare to wipe it off.
It is a huge guitar shop that sells dozens a day online and in the shop.

Last edited by Jef_; 07-14-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks like most people think it would be best to return it and keep looking for another d28.
With threads like this, it generally seems that the OP is less in search of advice and more in search of validation for what he/she is inclined to do....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
With threads like this, it generally seems that the OP is less in search of advice and more in search of validation for what he/she is inclined to do....
I disagree. I honestly don’t know what the right course of action is in this situation.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM

I say this with all due respect, but I'm always amazed at how many AGF folks comb over a new guitar with fine toothed comb to make sure that there's not a SINGLE mark anywhere if it's new.

I know...I know many of you are saying "Well if I paid that type of money..." etc...I get that...but gee golly whiz.

Or to demand steep discounts bc of some marks that had to be photographed in the right light, at the right angle, zoomed in...

To the OP, if I were you and you love how it sounds...keep it and let that be the end! Enjoy it!

How many of you are purchasing guitars to be museum pieces?
G7th Capos
Old 07-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Quote:
I disagree. I honestly don’t know what the right course of action is in this situation.
I believe that I said "generally" so yours might be the exception. That aside, if a roughly equal number of folks tell you to keep it as tell you to take it back and keep looking, what then???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It is a huge guitar shop that sells dozens a day online and in the shop.
For me it's hard to "analyze" photos of the finish on a guitar that isn't even wiped off with a soft damp cloth first. If you're afraid they'll accuse you of having scratched it. Take it back, tell them you've barely touched it (haven't even wiped it off) and that you're concerned about the finish and ask them to wipe it off. If it's still questionable to you, tell them so.....see what happens.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I think sometimes you've just gotta let go of minor things... and allow yourself to enjoy- seems like you have a keeper. I would wipe it down with some Martin polish/cleaner and call it mine play the heck outta that D28!!

have fun

madhat.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Hello y'all,

So I just bought a new D28 at retail price without discount.
It was a store demo model, as all of their guitars are, and it's covered in really small hairline scratches.
You can only see 99% of them when reflecting light off of it but still.. I don't know how I should feel about it. Is it a big deal?

I can still return it to the store, but it is the nicest example D28 with best sound I have seen/tried so far.
H Jef,
I suggest you re-read your post.
The first sentence tells me you bought a guitar you really like, albeit somewhat impulsively,without noticing the flaws or disregarding them and likely paid more than you had to. Done deal.
The second sentence says "it's covered with hairline scratches". That's pretty extreme but from the pics, they appear to be superficial.
Since you already seem to be excusing this condition, I'm curious as to why are you asking others what they would do?
I have not seen this guitar in person, but if these scratches or whatever are truly superficial, they can easily be removed. I own a J45 Burst which is highly susceptible to light scratches and it gets them. I use a Meguiars auto product to remove them with no trouble at all.
Jef, if you really like the guitar you can fix it yourself or take it to a tech and get it buffed out. If the place you purchased it is "good people", maybe they will take care of it.
If you are uncertain about any of this at all, return it and buy another D28.
That is your call and your call only since you're the only one who has to be happy here.

If you're curious, under all the parameters in your OP and if these scratches are indeed fixable...
I'm doin' that and keepin' it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-14-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I’ll swim against the tide.

You love the sound of your D28, and the look of the woods. The scratches... those will mostly come out, and those that won’t, would have arrived within the first year anyways.

If I were you I’d play the beautiful Martin. I’d try to buff it out myself at the next string change. I’d not give it another thought besides that. On this forum, and other specialty forums, we are a bunch of ninnies that have enabled Each other to become perfectionists. I don’t mean to malign my fellow forum members... I have been guilty too.

Sometimes the enemy of good is... perfect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion