The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Default Need Opinions on this Guitar Center clearance (Breedlove content)

Alright, I need some opinions here. Stopped by a Guitar Center today to try a 317 (which ended up sounding a lot worse than other 317s I've tried, somehow) and they had a Breedlove Oregon Concerto E with the Myrtlewood top, a guitar that normally goes for $2,199, on clearance for $1,199. Aside from some decidedly dead strings, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with it. An employee said that they may have just had it for a long time.

It's just weird because I've been going into Guitar Centers for more than 20 years now, haven't seen anything discounted that much before. This is also a guitar I had previously thought would be cool to have, so now of course I'm wondering if this might be the deal of a lifetime. I mean, $1,000 off a new guitar is nothing to sneeze at.

So, what do you think? Too good to be true, or legit? I guess since Breedloves aren't super sellers they may just be trying their best to get rid of it.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:43 PM

That's a phenomenal deal. My suggestion is...Buy it!!!

I haven't read one review that was not very positive about this guitar, and GC has a good return policy if you don't bond with it. I you buy it, GC is a certified BL dealer, so you'll qualify for a life-time warranty.

Good luck.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Default Buy it.

I love the sound of Breedlove myrtle wood guitars. Sounds like a great deal.
Ibanez Talman
Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM

1200 + tax is a chunk into a guitar. If you love it, sure, if not, there’s a lot of options opening up at that point (and exponentially more if you continue to save from there).
Old 07-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I’d jump on that if you like the guitar. I got a very similar deal on my Breedlove when it was the SDOTD at MF a few months ago. This guitar is so nice I can’t quit picking it up every chance I get.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 07-14-2019, 12:29 AM

Breedloves are great but very hard to sell. I've heard that from a lot of sources.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:58 AM

That is how I got mine !!!

Even better, they couldn't find the case so they took another $240 off, and sold me a Gator Flight case for around $80...

I traded in stuff I wasn't using and only have a few hundred cash in the whole deal.

The new strings made a huge difference on mine, and I like the idea of all PAC NW woods except for ebony...

Definitely a cool guitar, especially under the circumstances - but it would be a lie to say it sounded as tonally colorful or felt as good as the Coco / Adi Martin, Greven or Bourgy, and The Black J-45 has a greater vibe...

I try to play a couple times a day, and It is in the rotation though...no regrets
Old 07-14-2019, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

According to another thread posted, to be a good person, you should tell them they are selling it to cheaply and not buy it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
Breedloves are great but very hard to sell. I've heard that from a lot of sources.
Exactly, there's a reason it's on clearance. I've seen this happening with Breedloves over the last 3-4 yrs more than ever. I've owned and toured with a few and while they can be great guitars, but these can be hard to move if you ever want to.

Aside from all that, if you LOVE the guitar, go for it! Just make sure you're paying attention to the actual market value and don't let the "sale" price make it seem better than it is.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:38 AM

If it sounds to good to be true, well you know the rest.

I'd check it over really good. I'd go as far as writing down the serial number, and contacting Breedlove to find out if it's ever been registered. GC does some very shifty things at times. Believe me, I know first hand.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Oh yeah, I also have first hand experience with some shifty Guitar Center stuff. Back in 1996 I bought an Epiphone Les Paul brand new off the wall with my first paycheck, many years later I went to trade it in and was informed that it was a counterfeit! Why anyone would want to counterfeit an Epi Les Paul is beyond me.

Anyway, thanks for the sage words, everyone. Definitely bears more cautious investigation...
Old 07-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I’d jump on that if you like the guitar. I got a very similar deal on my Breedlove when it was the SDOTD at MF a few months ago. This guitar is so nice I can’t quit picking it up every chance I get.
Over this past year I have found some great deals on Breedloves including this one recently

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlo...uitar.gc<br />

I feel like I have picked up some pretty amazing instruments for the money that I have very much liked and while I may have found other instruments at their street price I liked better I definitely haven't found much that came close at the prices they were selling for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion