The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 AM

Default NGD 2017 Collings 01, w/center seam separation

Just received a used 2017 Collings 01 that has blown me away as far as tone, playability and overall comfort. Only issue is that there’s a center seam separation/hairline crack from the bridge to the binding. There’s also some slight separating in the center seam between the sound hole and bridge with no split in the finish.

I’m torn because I truly want to keep this guitar as I was able to snag this guitar at a lower price than usual. So far, Ive placed a d addario 2 way humidifier in the sound hole and my music space is at 50%RH. Should I look into getting it repaired and for those who have experience, how noticeable is the crack after repair? Any input is much appreciated.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage

Last edited by djcarolino; 07-11-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

If you can post pictures it might help the experts give you a better assessment in regards to the cosmetic implications on the repair, but regardless, it should be repaired.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
If you can post pictures it might help the experts give you a better assessment in regards to the cosmetic implications on the repair, but regardless, it should be repaired.

2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 07-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Default Probably Worth It

....mine was. I found a SCGC D-12 with a top seam separation and bridge "snowplowing" that I bought for a song. It cost $750 to have SC repair it. They brought it back to its original condition both structurally and finish wise. I ended up with a $5K+ guitar for half price. Looking at it no one would ever no it had any issues and the guitar is wonderful to play and hear. I wouldn't be too concerned about whether yours can be repaired properly. It's more a $ math issue.
What would you have in it when finished compared to what you would have to pay for another used one. Although in my case the guitar was "new" having sat around in a violin shop for 10 years. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
....mine was. I found a SCGC D-12 with a top seam separation and bridge "snowplowing" that I bought for a song. It cost $750 to have SC repair it. They brought it back to its original condition both structurally and finish wise. I ended up with a $5K+ guitar for half price. Looking at it no one would ever no it had any issues and the guitar is wonderful to play and hear. I wouldn't be too concerned about whether yours can be repaired properly. It's more a $ math issue.
What would you have in it when finished compared to what you would have to pay for another used one. Although in my case the guitar was "new" having sat around in a violin shop for 10 years. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback. Wondering if I should bring it to a local luthier or contact Collings about repairs being made. It looks like there aren't many used 01s floating around and not sure if any will show up anytime soon so I don't want to pass this chance to own one if it's able to be repaired to normal health.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM

From everything I have read in the last few months the first thing I would try is hydration.......
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Collings, in my experience, has offered terrific customer support. If I were you, I would first email Collings, explain the problem and that this is a 2017 you purchased used. Attach the photo you've posted, and ask them if they have a luthier or tech referral where you live, or if they will do the repairs there.

The guitar needs to be looked at. Humidification is not going to fix what I see.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarolino View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Wondering if I should bring it to a local luthier or contact Collings about repairs being made. It looks like there aren't many used 01s floating around and not sure if any will show up anytime soon so I don't want to pass this chance to own one if it's able to be repaired to normal health.
It’s not quite a center seam split, I see some grain taken with the split. I’d contact Collings. I had a bridge come off a Collings I bought used the day I received it. Called Collings and they felt it shouldn’t have happened and paid for the repair. YMMV, still that’s where I’d start.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
It’s not quite a center seam split, I see some grain taken with the split. I’d contact Collings. I had a bridge come off a Collings I bought used the day I received it. Called Collings and they felt it shouldn’t have happened and paid for the repair. YMMV, still that’s where I’d start.
How long was the turnaround for the repair? I have a 45 day return policy and I wanna make sure everything is gravy before I go past the point of returning it. Also, do you recommend that I slack the strings and avoid playing until it gets looked at?
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 07-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I’m not arguing that repaired cracks diminish the sound of a guitar because 1) I don’t know & 2) I’ve heard guitars with top repairs that sound terrific. However, I wonder why luthiers are obsessed with top wood density, thickness, flexibility and movement — only to glue a restrictive bracing element right in the middle of a tonal diaphragm and expect there to be no impact on tone. There seems to be a break in logic that I’ve not seen addressed in discussions about bracing cracks in guitar tops.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How long was the turnaround for the repair? I have a 45 day return policy and I wanna make sure everything is gravy before I go past the point of returning it. Also, do you recommend that I slack the strings and avoid playing until it gets looked at?
Collings had me take mine to a recommended local shop. Bridge Reggie being pretty straight forward. I don’t see how playing the guitar for a couple days would be an issue, any chance you’ve called Collings yet?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Collings had me take mine to a recommended local shop. Bridge Reggie being pretty straight forward. I don’t see how playing the guitar for a couple days would be an issue, any chance you’ve called Collings yet?
Finally heard back from Collings. They’re recommending I take it to a local repair shop. Looks like it’ll cost about 300-400 for gluing, 4 small cleats and a touch up on the finish. I have a hard time dropping some $$$$ and starting a new adventure on a guitar that needs some structural repairs. Maybe I’ll play the living hell out of it until my return period is up and score on a better one in the future.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage

Last edited by djcarolino; 07-12-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

There’s a very nice Collings 01 Walnut E (2015) at the Music Emporium for $3,200
https://www.themusicemporium.com/gui...-walnut-e-2015
Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 PM

If you haven't yet, I would look inside and see if that is already cleated and repaired. From the photos it looks like it might have been previously filled.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Finally heard back from Collings. They’re recommending I take it to a local repair shop. Looks like it’ll cost about 300-400 for gluing, 4 small cleats and a touch up on the finish. I have a hard time dropping some $$$$ and starting a new adventure on a guitar that needs some structural repairs. Maybe I’ll play the living hell out of it until my return period is up and score on a better one in the future.
First, I would ask the seller if he or she would cover the cost of the repair. If not I would immediately send it back. Your play-the-living-hell approach isn’t, imho, very fair.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion