The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I'd be curious to know people's decisions about/experiences with getting earthquake insurance. I get quotes every now and then from my insurer but the deductible is 20%. Not a small amount of money for property in CA. There is the California Earthquake Authority but my private insurer is trying to steer me away from them...anyone have insights here?
I have no idea why they would steer you away from CEA. Most insurers in CA are just reselling CEA coverage. It actually has some pretty good coverage many don't including replacement, loss of use and building code upgrades. Keep in mind it's for your structures and contents and may be less than you think as your land may well be a large part of your complete property value.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 PM

The reason I no longer live in California is the Northridge quake. After that one my wife said, "If the house isn't broken, sell it we're moving." I said, "where are we going?" She replied, "I don't know about you but I'm moving back to Colorado". Now I'm Denver Steve. They don't bother me much but they terrify some. Rightfully so.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
The reason I no longer live in California is the Northridge quake. After that one my wife said, "If the house isn't broken, sell it we're moving." I said, "where are we going?" She replied, "I don't know about you but I'm moving back to Colorado". Now I'm Denver Steve. They don't bother me much but they terrify some. Rightfully so.
I grew up in the Ohio River Valley. Not quite Tornado Alley like Oklahoma and Kansas but pretty darn active. As a kid we had a tornado barring down on our house. We all stood on the back deck watching it grow and creep and rumble towards us. At one point it grew so wide as to take up most of the entire horizon even though it was still 10 or 12 miles off. At that point we all piled into the basement and hung on. When it had passed we went outside to find the entire top floor of our house ripped away. We found our car (which had been in the driveway) 6 houses down and on it's roof.

Weirdly though I didn't find it particularly frightening but more an encompassing fascinating. The air-raid sirens never bothered me at all. I just have always thought there'd be an escape route if needed.

Earthquakes however...there must be something in my DNA because they remain the single thing that frightens me to my core. I still knee jerk react when a big truck goes by and rattles things. I can absolutely relate to someone packing up and moving elsewhere after a quake

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic