The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I'd rather hike alone. But that's me. Rather than limit myself because of others desires or preferences I learned early on to just do it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-04-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'd rather hike alone. But that's me. Rather than limit myself because of others desires or preferences I learned early on to just do it.
Not having others along doesn't stop me. Yet when hiking in the wilderness areas of the mountains, having a partner increases safety.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
...Yet when hiking in the wilderness areas of the mountains, having a partner increases safety.
Having previously been involved with Search & Rescue operations, I agree with the above; but really disagree with the notion that getting old sucks. Despite diminished physical (and probably mental) abilities, my golden years have been my best ones yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There is a sense of freedom in getting old, I am discovering. Gone are the concerns about the expectations of others; we get to do more things that we want to do by choice rather than convention...

Tony
I agree.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-04-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

There is a sense of freedom in getting old, I am discovering. Gone are the concerns about the expectations of others; we get to do more things that we want to do by choice rather than convention. Also, I have chosen to continue working a couple of months a hear, a few days a week doing engineering contracting. I find a real sense of freedom from the stresses that a full time employee might experience because it really doesn't matter if I work or not anymore.

I can see "getting old sucks" when health issues become such that we can no longer do the things we love to do, though. It is in this situation that I think the choice of when we wish to "check out" becomes important, though I am sure many would disagree. I think this issue will be revisited as the economic realities of a large portion of the population become an increasing burden on the rest.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
I have the criteria to be another friend.
LOL. Best response.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Rant begin

I'm 60 years old, all my friends are fat, lazy, out of shape couch potatoes.

I've been searching for a hiking and back packing partner. I've been posting up on craigslist, meetup, local mom and pop sports shop. I'm married and the only replies I've had are from divorced women. I've told them that there would have to be at least three of us. Even though it would be about hiking, the optics is just wrong if it's just the two of us.

Rant over
Go get 'em........
Old 07-04-2019, 06:59 PM

You guys give the best replies, AGF has the greatest participants of any web site....ever.

I just got back from doing a solo hike. After I get over tonights 4th of July festivities and the physical pains of an old out of shape man hiking in the Cascades, I'll post up a short montage.

You all have a safe and fun 4th of July.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

My Dad just celebrated his 81st birthday last week. He and three of my siblings took a trip to Colorado and hiked up a mountain.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:26 PM

Getting older sucks, for sure.... but it beats the only alternative! Any day on the right side of the turf is a good day.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 AM

Meet-up tends to be singles/divorcees looking, but keep your eye out for groups that are doing an activity you are want to do. Or start one yourself, it's not expensive to host a group as long as the membership stays below a certain number.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Meet-up tends to be singles/divorcees looking, but keep your eye out for groups that are doing an activity you are want to do. Or start one yourself, it's not expensive to host a group as long as the membership stays below a certain number.
That was my point. I'm thinking this a case of someone who is both not familiar with social media and being overly selective with what is essentially a demographic that is marginalized by society.

Others in this thread have talked about there being safety in numbers, but it begs the question: if the group is solely made up of 60 somethings? I would think that that broadening the "exclusivity" would reduce your feelings of social isolationism.

FWIW I'm also getting into cycling and it is not an activity that is "ageist" in any way. There are individuals in their 80s cycling over 100 miles on roads in a single ride and guys in their 60s riding cross country on mountain bikes. As someone about to enter into my 50s I feel like I could learn something from any one of them and feel like I have something to aspire to.

So OP, while you may lament that "getting old sucks" I would submit that you are approaching your dilemma with a "glass half empty" mindset and need to accept a measure of humility, broaden your perspective and seek personal growth.

I can commiserate though. In learning how to mountain bike I had a setback in the form of a minor injury that took me off the bike for several months. I made it a point to get back in the saddle at my earliest opportunity and resume solo cycling sessions in late winter. I stress that they were "solo" though and I lamented that I couldn't get my wife or kids invested in it. TBH I didn't want them slowing me down either; if I want to ride 100 miles I can't quite train for it if I'm teaching a 12yo how to work the gears - which is a crappy way of approaching the whole experience IMO but it is what it is.

So, this past Sunday I packed up the MTB and set out to the local trail head. That's when I met up with a group of other mountain bikers. They invited me to join them, but I declined partly out of shame. They all had nicer bikes and many were younger than me. The leader (who had salt and pepper in his sideburns and beard) gave me a sort of knowing grin and pressed to look them up on Facebook. I told him I would if I had Facebook. He just laughed and rode off. I came away from the encounter realizing that I had a lot to learn beyond just keeping from going over the handlebars on dirt trails.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Depending on the activity my wife would say go. I do have a number of young and same age female sports pals in mountain biking and that's a lot of fun. Us old farts still at it are safe, and we're the ones who started all the infrastructure they like. I'm sure it could be unhealthy for some but I'm still crazy in love with my wife and we've always been very independent.

I was feeling down about my sports performance but looked on Strava and felt better when looking at people in same age bracket. I also told (again) my wife to chill about her body image and age. She's running up to 10 miles, still mountain bikes, and likes adventure rides that last 6 hours. She's beautiful in her 50s, and for me will always be that gorgeous young woman I met sailboarding 30 years ago.

Maybe it's MTB riding and skiing, but come to think of it, I ride with single women and others' wives. My wife's as happy to not be in social situations she doesn't like as the others are to not ride alone.

What does stink about age is my back. Degenerative disc disease is a family problem and I injured it years ago. I can no longer do trail work the way I liked. Pain can be constant but I do not stop. I sucked it up on a trail ride with one of my sons yesterday. The same time it hurt it was a lot of pleasure to see how your kid went from baby to kick butt strong teen.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:11 AM

I read, "I'm 60 years old. . ." and thought, "Hmmm,I wonder what this kid is gonna write about." I wish I were 60 again. I'm 75.

I like to hike down Port Hope's Waterfront Trail, and I'm sure that this isn't what you mean by "hiking" since an average hike of mine is only about two hours.
The high water levels on Lake Ontario have caused some amazing daily changes to the trail. One day I'll be walking down the beach and the next day I'll be wading up to my knees in exactly the same place.

I prefer to hike alone, unless I can talk Maggie into coming with me, but sometimes I'll meet someone on the trail and we'll hike together. It doesn't matter to me if they're a man or woman, divorced, widowed, married or single. If they're an interesting person, I'll hike with them. There's no chance of romance, so what difference would it make.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

Last edited by PHJim; 09-14-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I still got it for outdoors adventures, the drive, the desire for new rushes and for new vistas, as for the ladies, it doesn't matter, I've been married for 40 years this year and there's no way I would ever jeopardize what I have with my wife. She use to be able to go with me but time has been cruel to her knees. This coming Tuesday she gets one of them replaced.....ouch.
Hi, I quite understand. My wife and I used to hike along the wonderful countryside where we live, but my health has limited me, whilst she has gone from strength to strength.
"miwyff" has built up a group of female pals that she goes, if not hiking on enjoyable rambles around the coast and the countryside leaving me to irritate plants on our allotment, at the gym, or playing music (or sitting here tapping the ol' keyboard).

I like to cycle, she likes to walk. I have my garden shed, she has her beach hut.
In my area (and in most parts of the UK there are groups of ramblers who meet to go on organised walks. and there is the "Rambles : https://www.ramblers.org.uk/

Is there not an equivalent organisation in the USA? If not, why not start one?

Perhaps look for men of a simple vintage first.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Hiking and backpacking you say? You need to hook up with my sister and her husband. They just came back from 7 weeks of hiking in Tuscany, France and the Ukraine. Over the years, they have done the Alps, Rockies, Pyrenees, all of Compostella in Spain (a 2-month walk!) Appalachian trail and they walked half the world for a year when they retired with one lonely backpack each. She is 70 and he is 76! Getting old does not suck for all, apparently. Me, her younger brother, I walk for ten minutes and I’m toast!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic