The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanfilippo5 View Post
If you like a big beefy bassy monster you will live it!

I bought the new hd-28 and now thinking I should have bought the hd35!

Yes, I do like a big beefy bassy monster so I should be happy. Can’t wait.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:41 PM

Talking Martin D35

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm from and living in Ireland. I'm a child of the '50 so Im playing since 1970 or should I say learning. Im thinking of buying a D35 as down deep inside Im a Martin man. With Fire and Rain and Jonie Mitchel back in the '70s I cut my teeth on the acoustic.
The tricky bit is as we are going to Miami in late October ( 30th. anniversary) to go on a cruise I decided to search for a D35 there. The question is are the D35s generally setup well? Could it be my luck to get a bad one? Is the standard of finish high on all martins. This would be a 2018-18 model.
Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

ps My wife doesn't know about this as yet!!!! Yikes
Joseph
Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 PM

I have never heard a bad Martin D-35.
Some have a deeper bass than others.
Mine is a 1981 and it has the big rosewood bridge plate.
Some people think that this plate takes away from the potential of my guitar.
It sounds terrific as it is.
I can't imagine it sounding any better with a smaller maple bridge plate but it would be interesting to know.

Your 2018 will have a small bridge plate and I think t 1 3/4" nut.
You should love it.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:26 PM

If my house was on fire and family and pets were safe, the one guitar I would grab is my 2011 D 35. With EJ 16s, it's a wonderful partner for my singer-songwriter stuff. I agree with Johnny Cash: I feel safe with a D 35!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Andrew View Post
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm from and living in Ireland. I'm a child of the '50 so Im playing since 1970 or should I say learning. Im thinking of buying a D35 as down deep inside Im a Martin man. With Fire and Rain and Jonie Mitchel back in the '70s I cut my teeth on the acoustic.
The tricky bit is as we are going to Miami in late October ( 30th. anniversary) to go on a cruise I decided to search for a D35 there. The question is are the D35s generally setup well? Could it be my luck to get a bad one? Is the standard of finish high on all martins. This would be a 2018-18 model.
Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

ps My wife doesn't know about this as yet!!!! Yikes
Joseph
First, I believe Martin to have a very high quality of build in all their guitars. Getting a "bad one" is unlikely. Finding a one that really sings is largely a matter of luck. I've been to Miami twice in the last two years and there are a couple decent guitar stores, but nothing like Chicago. Too bad you can't stop over here for a day or two first. If you somehow can locate a couple D35's in MIA and spend a day or two trying them it would probably be best. I assume you want to buy one here because the VAT tax there can boost the prices quite a bit I presume? But if you're going to be taking your chances, perhaps you might get hold of one of the forum sponsors and have them hand pick one for you and ship it to you in Miami for you to take home? Just a thought.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-12-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I can't imagine it sounding any better with a smaller maple bridge plate but it would be interesting to know.

You should love it.
I hear ya. I just bought a 72 D35 and it sounds great as is. I had a 2012 and the 72 sounds better imo. Love the d35.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... The question is are the D35s generally setup well?...
I don't know how one would answer the question. Set ups are personal.
In 1969 mine came with rebar Medium strings, a high action and a high nut. I had not heard of the terms luthier and set up, so I put on Lights and filed away on the bridge and nut. Not so good.
I just recently learned what I wanted and got it done. I dictated to a luthier that I wanted 2mm at the 12th fret and a nut no higher than the first fret. They do not want to do that, but I love it.
Unless you can play a new D-35 first, I would assume you will want a luthier for a set up for lower action.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:25 PM

I've had GAS for a D-35 lately too! Can't wait to see yours when you post your NGD!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
First, I believe Martin to have a very high quality of build in all their guitars. Getting a "bad one" is unlikely. Finding a one that really sings is largely a matter of luck. I've been to Miami twice in the last two years and there are a couple decent guitar stores, but nothing like Chicago. Too bad you can't stop over here for a day or two first. If you somehow can locate a couple D35's in MIA and spend a day or two trying them it would probably be best. I assume you want to buy one here because the VAT tax there can boost the prices quite a bit I presume? But if you're going to be taking your chances, perhaps you might get hold of one of the forum sponsors and have them hand pick one for you and ship it to you in Miami for you to take home? Just a thought.
Hi that sounds like a great idea. How do i make contact with forum sponsors. How would it work! I'm looking at one in Miami- Guitars and it looks like a beaut. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:

You should love it.
Yep looking forward to it. I may have said that I had a OM-42 And really regret parting with it, cash problems.
However I now feel like I will rekindle my partnership with Martin. Thanks
Old 07-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budglo View Post
I hear ya. I just bought a 72 D35 and it sounds great as is. I had a 2012 and the 72 sounds better imo. Love the d35.
If been lucky with guitars to date. However Martin's build is excellent so I can get it set up for probably €120 ,If needed.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:

You should love it.
Yep the 1 3/4 nut I will like. The funny thing about me and this guitar is that it is purely for personal use at home. I love the thought of having and playing a beautiful instrument. Well it's what I have spent my life so far at so it would be a little late to stop.Thanks.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:14 PM

Talking

[QUOTE=John K;6109887]If my house was on fire and family and pets were safe, the one guitar I would grab is my 2011 D 35. With EJ 16s, it's a wonderful partner for my singer-songwriter stuff. I agree with Johnny Cash: I feel safe with a D 35![/QUOTE

Some years ago I was buying an om-42 on eBay and the seller emailed saying that he was sending a photo of his family! 13 Martin guitars
Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I've had GAS for a D-35 lately too! Can't wait to see yours when you post your NGD!
It will be some time before I get the guitar. Don't mind waiting. Could have it shipped but Customs will probably charge 25%+ on top of the cost.
Thanks.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Hi that sounds like a great idea. How do i make contact with forum sponsors. How would it work! I'm looking at one in Miami- Guitars and it looks like a beaut. Thanks for your input.
There are a couple guys that have good reputations on the forum. Ted Shoreline Music (?) is one. I'm sure there will be some recommendations after this. You can call Karl at Chicago Music Exchange in the acoustic room. I don't know if they're a sponsor but they advertise on our banner above.

I wish I remembered the name of the guitar store in Miami that I've been to a couple times. I know they moved last year, but they some vintage guitars and vintage cars, both on display. It's not a guitar superstore, but they have a decent collection and the store itself is cool enough on it's own to visit even if you can't find what you're looking for. Anyone know the name of the store?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion