The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Nice. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

IMO making a copy or two for yourself only (in case, e.g. you spill a cup of coffee on your original) is no issue. I'd think giving a copy to someone else, for any reason, is a breach. You can't in any way guarantee what someone else will do with that material. You might get the originator's approval for your teaching example but that would be up to him/her. If I were them, again just IMO, I'd probably allow you to bring it with you to practice/play at a lesson with your instructor, but would not authorize you to give your instructor a copy.

PS: HaHa, just saw your update. So much for my opinion! Glad you got it resolved in a good way!

Last edited by gmel555; 07-14-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: ADDED PS
Old 07-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Sagatagan View Post
I took my first lesson with a classical guitar teacher yesterday. As a starting point, we agreed to meet again in two weeks. I am to have learned to read and play a simple piece and also be prepared to play it with him. Of course, I'm excited.

The question: the piece is part of a package I bought online from a composer who jealously and justly guards his product. I gave my print to the teacher and printed another sheet for myself. It's unlikely Teach will use the piece professionally or copy it again, but I don't know. It is also likely I would use this method with a second and third piece from the collection, again, only as a teaching aid. Is this kosher? From one aspect it seems like illicit duplication and, from another, mere personal use. Opinions and suggestions please.
I would think there would be some form of permission to be secured from the writer, or, if monies are exchanging hands over his work, a written agreement with a royalty payment to him might be more appropriate.

If I had to regroup the situation I would discern where my priorities lie. If the teacher has his own material, and we are simply being tasked to play a composition, then any composition will do and the material in question is not necessary to that end. Save it for personal consumption.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion