The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Spend a few more dollars and get a reimagined D-41!! The tone is pure magic with killers looks to go along with it!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
First, I believe Martin to have a very high quality of build in all their guitars. Getting a "bad one" is unlikely. Finding a one that really sings is largely a matter of luck. I've been to Miami twice in the last two years and there are a couple decent guitar stores, but nothing like Chicago. Too bad you can't stop over here for a day or two first. If you somehow can locate a couple D35's in MIA and spend a day or two trying them it would probably be best. I assume you want to buy one here because the VAT tax there can boost the prices quite a bit I presume? But if you're going to be taking your chances, perhaps you might get hold of one of the forum sponsors and have them hand pick one for you and ship it to you in Miami for you to take home? Just a thought.
Nice comment re Chicago if only. However the guitar I am lookin at if from a store that sponsors AGF so thats a good thing! There is a luthier 3/4 hour away who set up my Takamine TC132SC and did a great job. So I have that option on the set up.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I don't know how one would answer the question. Set ups are personal.
In 1969 mine came with rebar Medium strings, a high action and a high nut. I had not heard of the terms luthier and set up, so I put on Lights and filed away on the bridge and nut. Not so good.
I just recently learned what I wanted and got it done. I dictated to a luthier that I wanted 2mm at the 12th fret and a nut no higher than the first fret. They do not want to do that, but I love it.
Unless you can play a new D-35 first, I would assume you will want a luthier for a set up for lower action.
Hi yes there is a good luthier in the city who set up my Takamine TC132sc and it was perfect. So im covered there. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
There are a couple guys that have good reputations on the forum. Ted Shoreline Music (?) is one. I'm sure there will be some recommendations after this. You can call Karl at Chicago Music Exchange in the acoustic room. I don't know if they're a sponsor but they advertise on our banner above.

I wish I remembered the name of the guitar store in Miami that I've been to a couple times. I know they moved last year, but they some vintage guitars and vintage cars, both on display. It's not a guitar superstore, but they have a decent collection and the store itself is cool enough on it's own to visit even if you can't find what you're looking for. Anyone know the name of the store?
Thanks for the consideration. The store is Miami Guitars who sponsor AGF. So far so good. I am 67 and I wonder do we "guitarists" ever stop buying guitars! I reckon its a healthy pastime. The question always come up "why do you need another guitar" !!!!!!
Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Spend a few more dollars and get a reimagined D-41!! The tone is pure magic with killers looks to go along with it!!
3k is my limit and I'm lucky at that. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
There are a couple guys that have good reputations on the forum. Ted Shoreline Music (?) is one. I'm sure there will be some recommendations after this. You can call Karl at Chicago Music Exchange in the acoustic room. I don't know if they're a sponsor but they advertise on our banner above.

I wish I remembered the name of the guitar store in Miami that I've been to a couple times. I know they moved last year, but they some vintage guitars and vintage cars, both on display. It's not a guitar superstore, but they have a decent collection and the store itself is cool enough on it's own to visit even if you can't find what you're looking for. Anyone know the name of the store?
If it had both vintage guitars and cars, it may have been the guitar broker. They have both, and I think moved in the last few years.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:15 PM

I bought my ‘73 sunburst D35 new. I think I’m going to keep it.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
First, I believe Martin to have a very high quality of build in all their guitars. Getting a "bad one" is unlikely. Finding a one that really sings is largely a matter of luck. I've been to Miami twice in the last two years and there are a couple decent guitar stores, but nothing like Chicago. Too bad you can't stop over here for a day or two first. If you somehow can locate a couple D35's in MIA and spend a day or two trying them it would probably be best. I assume you want to buy one here because the VAT tax there can boost the prices quite a bit I presume? But if you're going to be taking your chances, perhaps you might get hold of one of the forum sponsors and have them hand pick one for you and ship it to you in Miami for you to take home? Just a thought.
Hi I took delivery of the guitar two weeks ago and it is fantastic. The setup was perfect, build quality was special, Lovely to hold, play and look at!!
Previously i had bought a Sigma DR-45 and I was very impressed with it. However while it is very good value it doesn't compare with the D35.
Delighted with the Martin. Meeting a guy this morning hoping that he buys my Sigma DR-45 which will help to defray costs!!!
Old 08-29-2019, 06:05 AM

I've got some thoughts on the new 35's I'd like to kick around here. It seems like most luthiers would advise you not to scallop the 1/4" bracing on a 35; it's already thin enough, plus you've got 000 back bracing so the guitars are lightly braced as-is.

But now that Martin is scalloping the D-35 and going scalloped/forward-shifted on the HD-35, I think it's worth mentioning what a ballsy move this is. It will be interesting to see how these new ones hold up; parenthetically I love the new 35's and think they sound amazing.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill82 View Post
I've got some thoughts on the new 35's I'd like to kick around here. It seems like most luthiers would advise you not to scallop the 1/4" bracing on a 35; it's already thin enough, plus you've got 000 back bracing so the guitars are lightly braced as-is.
"most luthiers" haven't built thousands of D-35's in a production environment. Building onesies & twosies, you can tweak them and fix things before anyone's the wiser. It's when you scale up and tolerances come into it that you find out how well a design works.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have a 2017 D35s and it is a fabulous guitar in every way. I use John Pearse PB medium gauge on mine.
Yep me too. I love the guitar. It sounds fantastic and is equally good just to look at! I have mine about 3- 4 months. It's a guitar you just must have. Beautifully made.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Like some others here I've tried many of the "new" Reimagined Standard Martin's. Had a standard and CS HD-28 and a D-41 until it dawned on me that I like the forward shifted straight or tapered bracing on the new D-28 better than the other EIR dreads. After a little "sell off" I ordered a 2018 (2019 actually) D-35 from Jon @ MFG. (stupid good deal as usual) Should have it Thursday. Looking forward to seeing if it sticks. Not crazy about the Grover Roto-matic's but that can be fixed easily enough.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion