The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Default hard case for Blackbird Rider?

Is anyone familiar with a hard case that would fit a Blackbird Rider? When I travel on the airplane with it, I put it in its padded bag and pack it in a sturdy cardboard box and put it in checked baggage. (I don't try to take it as carry-on because Air Canada, the airline I am most likely to use, tends not to allow anything that exceeds their exact carry-on dimensions, and are usually unsympathetic about musical instruments.)

I wonder if a hard case for this guitar would be a good idea? I am picturing not a guitar-shaped case (there is probably a special term for this but I am not familiar with it) but more one of those rectangular cases for an electric guitar, only those are too thin to hold this guitar. I suppose I might have to get something custom made since I’ve never seen another guitar of this shape.

It may be that the padded bag inside cardboard box method is still my best bet, but thought I'd put it out there in case anyone has ideas about this.

Tricia
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Give Joe at Blackbird a call (415-625-0977). He probably has some suggestions. If nothing comes of that, I would jot down the dimensions and study the specs for various Pelican cases (www.pelicancases.com). Those are pretty indestructible, even by the airline baggage gorillas and conveyor system. You could then check it without fear of anything but your guitar actually being lost. The brand and model of sound meter that I use actually survived a military plane crash in a Pelican case, so that is all I use for delicate and expensive test equipment.

Rider is pretty good travel guitar, with sound that belies its compact size. I played one at a uke festival where Joe had a booth, the year before they stopped making them.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Give Joe at Blackbird a call (415-625-0977). He probably has some suggestions. If nothing comes of that, I would jot down the dimensions and study the specs for various Pelican cases (www.pelicancases.com). Those are pretty indestructible, even by the airline baggage gorillas and conveyor system. You could then check it without fear of anything but your guitar actually being lost. The brand and model of sound meter that I use actually survived a military plane crash in a Pelican case, so that is all I use for delicate and expensive test equipment.

Rider is pretty good travel guitar, with sound that belies its compact size. I played one at a uke festival where Joe had a booth, the year before they stopped making them.
Thanks for your excellent suggestions! Don't know why I didn't think of calling Joe. He was incredibly helpful when I was considering buying the guitar, and took a lot of time to talk to me on multiple phone calls. I'll definitely give him a call.

I was reading about the Pelican cases, and so far found that none would be a particular good fit, and those that would fit the guitar would exceed the regular airline baggage size, pushing it into the oversize category which is expensive.

I guess the one advantage of the cardboard box is that it doesn't look particular interesting so is maybe less likely to be a target for theft. I've been kind of amazed at the total lack of security at some airports when it comes to baggage, and how easily anyone could walk in and take someone else's bag.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Wow, Tricia, the last thing to have occurred to me would be to check my Rider instead of carrying it on board! I had no idea that airlines in North America had become so strict.

How much air travel do you do? If you're not doing it very often, lots of bubble wrap and tape ought to do the trick, even without the cardboard box.

FWIW, I've never had to check a guitar. Ever. My latest trip with in guitar in tow saw me fly from SFO to Paris, with my large-size Hoffee case in a closet in the first class section... The Rider? It's never elicited even a raised eyebrow.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Wow, Tricia, the last thing to have occurred to me would be to check my Rider instead of carrying it on board! I had no idea that airlines in North America had become so strict.

How much air travel do you do? If you're not doing it very often, lots of bubble wrap and tape ought to do the trick, even without the cardboard box.

FWIW, I've never had to check a guitar. Ever. My latest trip with in guitar in tow saw me fly from SFO to Paris, with my large-size Hoffee case in a closet in the first class section... The Rider? It's never elicited even a raised eyebrow.
It's excellent that you haven't had to check a guitar! I don't fly too often, so I'll probably end up sticking with wrapping it up and checking it. I know it varies, but unfortunately find the Canadian airlines can be difficult about it.

I see your location is Paris. What a great city. I have not been since visiting in the mid 1970s when we lived in the Périgord region. Toi t'es francophone ?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
It's excellent that you haven't had to check a guitar! I don't fly too often, so I'll probably end up sticking with wrapping it up and checking it. I know it varies, but unfortunately find the Canadian airlines can be difficult about it.

I see your location is Paris. What a great city. I have not been since visiting in the mid 1970s when we lived in the Périgord region. Toi t'es francophone ?
Oui, au bout de 32 ans à Paris, je suis devenu francophone aussi. Le Périgord, quelle beauté! Surtout à l'époque, avant le tourisme en masse qui rend la région un peu pénible pendant l'été.

Tiens, tu connais ce forum?

http://www.les-grandes-guitares-acoustiques.com/

Beaucoup moins de monde qu'ici sur AGF, mais ambience bon enfant, en français, svp.

En tout cas, tu verras, personne ne remarque la Rider, sauf quand tu la sors de son étui. Then, it's an instant conversation starter, for sure!

Hang on to your Rider. They are rare, unlike anything else and will probably never be manufactured again. Enjoy!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Oui, au bout de 32 ans à Paris, je suis devenu francophone aussi. Le Périgord, quelle beauté! Surtout à l'époque, avant le tourisme en masse qui rend la région un peu pénible pendant l'été.

Tiens, tu connais ce forum?

http://www.les-grandes-guitares-acoustiques.com/

Beaucoup moins de monde qu'ici sur AGF, mais ambience bon enfant, en français, svp.

En tout cas, tu verras, personne ne remarque la Rider, sauf quand tu la sors de son étui. Then, it's an instant conversation starter, for sure!

Hang on to your Rider. They are rare, unlike anything else and will probably never be manufactured again. Enjoy!
Salut ! Merci de me répondre en français ! Non, je connais pas le forum que tu as mentionné, mais je vais jeter un coup d'œil. Oui je suis d’accord avec tes conseils : je vais pas vendre ma guitare Rider. Sans aucun doute elle est unique et quelque chose de spécial. En fait, je viens de prendre la décision d’acheter une autre guitar, fabriquée par Klos - également fait de fibre de carbone, mais moins chère, et probablement de moindre qualité, mais je crois qu’elle me servira.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Guest 928

Well said, and I totally agree.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Well said, and I totally agree.
You like playing Polkas on the Accordion too ??? I had no idea.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Guest 928

Polkas and the Hokey Pokey--doesn't get any better. I'll bet Mr. K does those on the piano, when no ones looking.

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-21-2019 at 06:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber