The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-19-2016, 03:20 AM
Emerald Guitars's Avatar
Emerald Guitars Emerald Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 222
Default AGF Exclusive: A first look at the new Emerald acoustic bass

Dear all,

We have yet to officially unveil ... and name our new acoustic bass, but we thought, as a thank you for your continued interest, we would give you guys an exclusive first look at it before posting it on any of our own pages.

We had the privilege of welcoming renowned Irish session musician James Blennerhassett to Emerald Guitars HQ last week to put the new acoustic bass into his hands and see what his 'First Impressions' were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D2ZPrG_iKA

James is a very knowledgeable and talented musician with over three decades experience touring and recording with well-known Irish artists such as Mary Black, Paul Brady, Brian Kennedy, Maura O’Connell, Kieran Goss, Gilbert O’Sullivan and others.

We would be delighted to hear your own thoughts on our new acoustic bass ahead of its official launch. Maybe you even have an idea for a name

Best wishes from all the team!

Sean

James Blennerhassett Bass by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Strumalot Strumalot is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 136
Default

This is very cool... thanks for not aiming the sound hole at the player's head.

I might have get one of these. Will be watching for the official launch.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 AM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada/SW Florida
Posts: 12,006
Default

I am not a bass player, but am interested in all-things Emerald. I seem to recall having seen an Emerald acoustic bass a while back and thinking that it looked pretty cool. I find that the posted photo of the new bass is kinda dark such that I can't make it out too well. It does seem that the upper bout is quite long and the guitar has an unusual shape, but again, I can't see it well enough to have a real sense of whether I like it or not.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Emerald Guitars's Avatar
Emerald Guitars Emerald Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I am not a bass player, but am interested in all-things Emerald. I seem to recall having seen an Emerald acoustic bass a while back and thinking that it looked pretty cool. I find that the posted photo of the new bass is kinda dark such that I can't make it out too well. It does seem that the upper bout is quite long and the guitar has an unusual shape, but again, I can't see it well enough to have a real sense of whether I like it or not.
Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your interest. We did previously make the XB-35, but Alistair decided to re-design our acoustic bass and this is the final result. This photo should give you a better local at the design of the guitar!

Thank you,

Sean

XB 35 1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM
J.R. Rogers's Avatar
J.R. Rogers J.R. Rogers is offline
AGF Owner & Founder
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 8,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
XB 35 1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Really nice looking instrument. If you look at the picture on the left, the arm bevel moving up to the soundhole looks like a growing spring bud sprouting from the ground. Therefore, I'd call it the "Bud Bass"

JR
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2016, 03:01 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,991
Default

JR:

Good vision. If color was added and the line continued around the sound hole it would look like a tulip, or a pussy willow.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Twangcat Twangcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 119
Default Nice!

Nice looking instrument. Big too. My brother-in-law has one on order so I'll get a chance to play one.
__________________
Rainsong Shorty
Webber 00 (pre-owned, 2003)
Eastman E10PSB
Pisgah Woodchuck open back banjo
A few parts built Telecasters
Fender Thinline Cabronita Tele
Fessenden D10 Pedal steel
1954 National lap steel
George Boards Weissenborn clone
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 PM
ac ac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,572
Default

Just a little bit more body and cellos might be next in line for Emerald. Why not?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Uncle Pauhana Uncle Pauhana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 609
Default

Fantastic! What a great sounding instrument. If you haven't watched the video with headphones or real speakers, do it!

I have heard many acoustic bass guitars, and this is the first one that promises to be really useable without amplification. Some will say it's too big, but compared to a standup bass, it's quite portable. Physics says make it big, and physics always wins. I look forward to hearing a fretless version... it should really growl.

For its name, I suggest the Celtic god of thunder, TARANIS, (whose name I have also seen as Taranus, Tuireann, Tuirenn, Tuirill Biccreo... you folks at Emerald would know best, but Taranis would probably be easier for non-Irish folks).

Last edited by Uncle Pauhana; 07-20-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 AM
Emerald Guitars's Avatar
Emerald Guitars Emerald Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Really nice looking instrument. If you look at the picture on the left, the arm bevel moving up to the soundhole looks like a growing spring bud sprouting from the ground. Therefore, I'd call it the "Bud Bass"

JR
Thank you very much for the suggestion, JR! We are having a lot of fun recording the new acoustic bass at the moment and we are delighted that it is getting such a nice reaction from you guys, we really appreciate it!

Best Wishes

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-20-2016, 04:50 AM
Emerald Guitars's Avatar
Emerald Guitars Emerald Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Fantastic! What a great sounding instrument. If you haven't watched the video with headphones or real speakers, do it!

I have heard many acoustic bass guitars, and this is the first one that promises to be really useable without amplification. Some will say it's too big, but compared to a standup bass, it's quite portable. Physics says make it big, and physics always wins I look forward to hearing a fretless version... it should really growl.

For its name, I suggest the Celtic god of thunder, TARANIS, (whose name I have also seen as Taranus, Tuireann, Tuirenn, Tuirill Biccreo... you folks at Emerald would know best, but Taranis would probably be easier for non-Irish folks).
Hi Uncle,

Thank you so much for your feedback, we really appreciate it! The new acoustic bass may look big, but due to Alistair's ergonomic design it actually feels a lot smaller than it looks when playing it. James is a double bass player and he actually noted how light it is and as a musician who tours a lot, he also said that would be of great benefit when travelling!

We also appreciate your name suggestion! Alistair was actually thinking of something down those lines, alright!

Best Wishes

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Emerald Guitars's Avatar
Emerald Guitars Emerald Guitars is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Donegal, Ireland
Posts: 222
Default

Hi guys,

Just a little update on our acoustic bass. Our friend Michael, a very talented local bassist, called into the office yesterday and he kindly did some recording for us.

The first video is a collection of various style samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us0jN-TSags

The second video is a beautiful original piece composed by Michael, which we thoroughly enjoyed and we hope you do, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmCxE2egZ8

We would love to hear your thoughts!

Best Wishes from all the Emerald team!

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM
ac ac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,572
Default

The clarity and depth combined are absolutely lovely. Wonderful bass.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Uncle Pauhana Uncle Pauhana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
The new acoustic bass may look big, but due to Alistair's ergonomic design it actually feels a lot smaller than it looks when playing it.
I'm sure that is true, Sean. My X20 feels like a grand auditorium but pushes air like a dreadnaught, at least.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,991
Default

This guitar needs a road trip. I turned a village player on to the instrument and he is in a lather. But he is afraid to buy without having tried it first. He wants blue with colored strings.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=