The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Default Custom Build: tap tone vs. looks

So, it happens again - another opportunity to pick woods for an upcoming build.

Luthier sent pics of three sets of Madagascar rosewood (the really good looking old LMII stuff). Two of the sets are more subdued - tight grain, well quartered and some spiderwebbing. One of the sets had the same good attributes but better color definition and more pronounced spiderwebbing and ink lines.

This initial report was that they all tapped out phenomenally and equivalently. But upon further review, the builder reported back that while the fancier looking set still taps very well, the less attractive sets were superior in terms of tap tone. He says that they're all equally suitable for building.

Conventional wisdom is that the builder is the biggest influence followed by the top wood/bracing and body shape with things like back and sides being down the list.

So, if the builder is great and he has complete latitude with respect to top selection, bracing, and design, am I foolish to opt for the more attractive back and sides despite the fact that the less attractive stuff taps out a little better?

I'll appreciate your reactions!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:10 AM

I personally think that, presuming a relatively traditionally built flat top guitar the free air unworked tap tone of the back and side wood is virtually irrelevant. Look at a recent build by Somogi - the back is fully inlaid with hundreds of individual pieces of wood (FBJ no 36, page 86/87 for a picture). The free air tap tone of a piece of any wood with hundreds of other pieces of wood glued to it will not be very good, if it has a tone at all. I would get the wood that makes you the happiest. I would not worry about the tap tone at all, as long it's not dead as a doornail (that means, to me, the wood has hidden structural flaws like cracking, or rot).

Brian
Old 10-29-2016, 09:19 AM

I'd also predict the two quartered sets may be more structurally sound and stable, and could be worked a little thinner... though a good vuilder would work to the attributes of the materials he uses...
Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 AM

Just to add, all three sets are nicely quartered.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I personally think that, presuming a relatively traditionally built flat top guitar the free air unworked tap tone of the back and side wood is virtually irrelevant. Look at a recent build by Somogi - the back is fully inlaid with hundreds of individual pieces of wood (FBJ no 36, page 86/87 for a picture). The free air tap tone of a piece of any wood with hundreds of other pieces of wood glued to it will not be very good, if it has a tone at all. I would get the wood that makes you the happiest. I would not worry about the tap tone at all, as long it's not dead as a doornail (that means, to me, the wood has hidden structural flaws like cracking, or rot).

Brian
I've heard recordings of both maple and rosewiod Andamento guitars, and they both sounded phenomenal.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Pick what you like and let your Luthier do him magic.

Fred

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 10-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I would guess that Somogyi with the hundreds of inlaid pieces was not optimized for tone. That guitar is for a collector. But who knows.

I would go for the sonically superior piece. At the end of the day, I will get more pleasure out of a guitar that sounds good than one that looks good. You should definitely prioritize tone and playability over everything else. Alternatively, have your luthier keep looking for wood until you can get the best of both worlds. Don't compromise.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:10 PM

Default Custom Build: tap tone vs. looks

Not too often we get to look at the back of the guitar while it's being played.

[emoji6]

I've often head it say by many builders (my own limited brief also) to pick the top with your ears and the back/sides with your eyes... meaning for more contribution to the overall sound comes from the top versus the back. And depending on the back plate having style of your builder will make more of a difference also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rod True; 10-29-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:52 PM

I agree with most others here...the back is going to contribute some to the sound, but he said the fancier ones still tap nicely, maybe just not as good, the builder and the top is really what matters, I would bet if he built two identical guitars (if that were possible), with the two different back sets, you would NEVER be able to tell the difference....go with the looker!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:15 PM

If it's going to have nylon strings, go for the tap tone. Steel strings can sound great even with the deadest back/side woods, so then it depends on the builder's style and what sort of tone you're after.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

It seems the luthier said that one set had better tap tone but that all three were equally suited to building. That seems to be contradictory. I would ask the builder if he thinks that set will make a better sounding guitar. If he says yes, I would go for that set.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:57 PM

I'd say just because one plate would have a "better" tap tone doesn't necessarily mean it will make a better instrument for a particular player. Since you have already selected a luthier, why not rely on his judgment as to which woods he would think appropriate? You can't really see the back of the guitar when you're performing, right?
Old 10-29-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
It seems the luthier said that one set had better tap tone but that all three were equally suited to building. That seems to be contradictory. I would ask the builder if he thinks that set will make a better sounding guitar. If he says yes, I would go for that set.
I don't think so. It all comes down to what the particular builder sees as "better." Or maybe, what tap tone does the builder prefer, or think may make a more appropriate choice for a client's playing or music style. Other than that, I totally agree with the latter!
Old 10-29-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I would guess that Somogyi with the hundreds of inlaid pieces was not optimized for tone. That guitar is for a collector. But who knows.
I played one of those guitars. In my opinion it was for a collector, just as you say.

Jim McCarthy
Old 10-29-2016, 08:24 PM

I say, ask your luthier his opinion which of the sets is least likely to crack

Last edited by runamuck; 10-30-2016 at 11:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop