The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
as others have noted, any Rainsong can be purchased without bar door electronics....
I ordered my "AGF Shorty" from Ted without electronics.

If I were to own one guitar, and knowing what I know now, it would probably order a CO-WS1000N2 and spec it without the barn door electronics.

http://rainsong.com/models/cows1000n2.asp

1) I like the Shark inlays.
2) I like the warmer sound of the unidirectional top.
3) The FT finish is a bit noisier than I expected, so I'd get gloss, but since they are discontinuing the FT finish anyway you really don't have much of a choice.

Then based on the strings I've tried on my shorty I'd pull the 80/20 Elixirs off and install some Phosphor bronze.

Either that or I'd order a CO-WS1005NS without electronics. Never held one, but I have rather liked every other offset soundhole guitar I have played.

http://rainsong.com/models/co-ws1005ns.asp

Actually, given how much my wife likes my WS 12-string, I might end up ordering one of the WS1005 guitars anyway just for her.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
... I really love the idea & look of many of the CF acoustics but it's really hard to get a good idea of how they sound when strummed with a pick.... The few reviews I've seen where the player is using a pick sound very bright and nasally which I'm not a fan of. One review of the Rainsong WS1000 described it as being a "warm-sounding" guitar which I didn't agree with at all... are they (CF) all like this? Will different strings make them sound more "woody"?
Hola Herrick,

Several things:

First, there are a ton of decent videos playing rhythm on the Rainsong website. I play mostly melodic rhythm, and my Rainsong WS-1000 is absolutely outstanding for this purpose.

Second, I know people describe the tone as "bright", but that is not really the case. Your ear is not used to the tone of CF. What you hear is crystal clear note separation and extraordinary balance. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once your ear knows the tone it is likely you will love it. Give it some time... for me, it took several months of daily playing and comparing to wood guitars to really understand the tonal differences.

Third, with wood what you hear as "warmth" is mostly the organic imperfections and differences unique to each instrument... overtones. That is why given a single model and maker (say a Martin D-18) there will be significant variation between individual instruments. This is not the case with CF, where the tone is super consistent for given model... and without the seasonal variation inherent in wood.

Lastly, having CF means living with less stress. No fear of heat, or cold, or humidity, or scratches and dings, or insects... those are the qualities that drive most of us to CF in the first place... and most of us have been surprised at what we have found in regard to CF tonal quality.

I love the "warmth" of wood, just as much as I now love the crystalline clarity of CF. I feel fortunate to have both options.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Thanks Billder99. I'll look for more Rainsong demos. If I do get one, at least they would be easier to return than an Emerald.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:53 AM

Have tried Rainsong, Blackbird and own an Emerald. You really can't go wrong. I bought an Emerald direct from the company and love it. I can recommend Emerald without hesitation or reservation
Old 03-29-2015, 04:43 PM

You might contact MacNichols directly to see what they still have in stock. They had rooms full of guitars and they couldn't just disappear--or maybe they sold all their stock to other dealers. Not sure. A call couldn't hurt just to find out.

I thought they were closing their doors--but not instantly. You could look at their notice in the dealers section. I don't recall their exact timeline.

And as to Emeralds not having sustain, as someone mentioned, that's the first time I've heard that. Compared to wood guitars, the sustain on my smaller X7 is fantastic and I would expect it to be better on an X20.

Update: They close their doors April 25
Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 PM

I plan to buy a cf guitar, more than likely a Rainsong. Fact is, I have no interest in wood guitars anymore.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
<snip>
And as to Emeralds not having sustain, as someone mentioned, that's the first time I've heard that. Compared to wood guitars, the sustain on my smaller X7 is fantastic and I would expect it to be better on an X20. <snip>
Actually it was an X20 that I found to have the least amount of sustain, and what I mean by that is lack of sustain up the neck, especially at the 12th fret.

FYI I live about a mile from LA Guitar Sales and although he no longer carries Emerald or CA, he used to carry them. When I bought my first CF, a Composite Acoustic, Ted had over forty to choose from. Not sure why Peavey isn't begging him to carry the brand again but I digress. Anyway, besides all those CA's, Ted kept dozens of Rainsongs, mostly all of the Blackbirds, and a half dozen Emeralds so I had plenty of opportunity to test them all side by side. Although Alistars guitars look good, they just can't compete with the others tonally and I think it has to do with the light weight.

BTW, I took a friend to Teds a few weeks ago so he can try out some cf travel guitars. Ted had the Rainsong Parlor, the Kevin Michael, the Blackbird rider, the Journey cf model, and a used Eemerald X7 on hand, and he even pulled out his personal Cargo for my friend to try. It was a fun, and educational visit and my buddy now has a Journey cf to keep him company on his next overseas trip. I know this thread is not about travel guitars but it was fun to try all these brands side by side again.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM

Anyone consider that the carbon fibre's tone, as compared to a wooden one, will not improve with time?

No broken-in tone that makes you anticipate for more?
Old 03-29-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
Anyone consider that the carbon fibre's tone, as compared to a wooden one, will not improve with time?

I own an X20 Artisan, as well as $6K+ wood-construction acoustics. They're all just tools to be used/enjoyed...

The X20 is fun and super-easy to play. Sounds great, too.

I get what you're saying about the supposed nature of wood, but it's all so subjective... Over at TGP they're probably cryo-treating CF to give it magical wood powers.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post

If it is already a great sound... well, you know. I liked my RainSong right off the bat - a great sound from the first strum. I don't have to "hope" it will get better. I still like my wood guitars, but I truly appreciate the sound and ease CF brings.

I know this was an old thread, but if someone is "deciding whether they should get a carbon fiber acoustic", they have already determined the need. The sound of one great guitar does not diminish the sound of another great guitar.

For some of us, carbon fiber takes care of the humidifying/climate issue and provides a great sound. I bought another wood guitar (all mahogany Taylor 522ce 12-fret) since I have owned the RainSong; love that sound.

I have room in my heart for more than one guitar, more than one tonewood, more than one construction material.

If one has only played or heard one carbon fiber guitar, they have no more idea what "all carbon fiber" sounds like, anymore than the person who has played one wood guitar.

Plenty of very nice options out there.

Captain Jim
Old 03-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Have never played an Emerald or Blackbird L13. Would love to though. Have been able to play many different Rainsongs and I'll second what has been said about them here. Extremely articulate and clear. I'm not a fan of the N2 neck but it isn't huge to me. The N1 neck was really a little small but I liked it better. The CA legacy neck profile feels just right for me and I like the warmer, almost mahogany like tone. Still has lots of sustain. The neck on my 12er is about as slim as a 12 string neck can get I'd imagine. It was my interest in a 12 string that led me to find out carbon guitars by accident. Took a chance on both of mine and have been knocked out by them. I love to play wood axes too and may get one but I've always hated the way they "move" more, especially when playing outdoors because I'm so OCD about tuning LOL.

As for toughness, I dropped my G7th 12 string capo on my JM and instantly cringed. I knew I had just whacked it good! Didn't even leave a mark on the clear coat! Plus---it cleans/shines with Meguiar's Quick Detailer!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:54 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
I know this thread is not about travel guitars but it was fun to try all these brands side by side again.
That's cool. I'd really like to play a bunch of CF guitars and test their might against each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I know this was an old thread, but if someone is "deciding whether they should get a carbon fiber acoustic", they have already determined the need.
Yeah I've no desire to attempt to set up an acoustic guitar. Here in Munchkinland, we have disgusting swampy humidity in the summer & cruel freezing temperatures in the winter This is why carbon fiber appeals to me.

Last edited by Herrick; 03-30-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-31-2015, 08:10 AM

I have also been searching for a CF guitar for many years - here's the story of the end of the journey that I had posted on the MacNichol site:

The journey to a CF guitar has been long - tried many and could never get to the tone I wanted. I mainly focused on smaller body versions as I was looking at using it mainly for travel and camping. But as with all the small body/short scale guitars, CF or wood, they just sound choked - too much like a Uke. Also, the rapid changes in the CF world were introducing better instruments all the time.

I had finally narrowed it down to the Lucky 13 or the Emerald X7 - each different, but great examples of small bodies that maintain great tone. With the closing of MacNichol, I knew I had to take the plunge and went with the X7. But that is not the end! I've had the pleasure of living near MacNichol that has given me the opportunity to spend time over the years discussing tone with Michael and trying all sorts of guitars. At Michael's suggestion, he changed the saddle to the Mother of Pearl and the strings to medium 80/20 D'Addarios. What a difference! I always like to try different strings on new guitars (an inexpensive experiment in sound), but this particular combination on this guitar is excellent.

Although Michael is moving away from selling instruments and will be concentrating on saddles and pins, his knowledge and ability to translate our desires in tone into real life sound will hopefully still be available.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

That's excellent customer service. Too bad they won't be selling guitars anymore.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:59 PM

Of all I haven't tried, the Lucky 13 would be the one I most would like to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber