The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 AM

Default what is your favourite cross over nylon

due to the recent success of the favourite hand made om thread i posted, what is your favourite handmade nylon crossover

i personally think the lehmann cadenza is fantastic

fantastic sounding and an absolute bargain!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

My favorite has been the Epiphone EN546c. Maybe not in the class of that pretty handmade but it is a WOW guitar for the dough. They made this one out of solid straight Indian Rosewood, Solid Cedar top, Paduk bindings.
The guitar was not available long. I am guessing it got cut by the Accounting Dept. It sold for what some luthiers charge for wood upgrades.
Mine is for sale in the AGF classifieds. Not for any dislike. I just got outta hand for a while and I a have 20 or so acoustics to get rid of so I have room to build guitars
Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 AM

Cordoba GK Studio. Not handmade, but sensational, for less than $ 700.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 AM

After owning and auditioning many, my favorite is the one in my signature. Just got it last week. By the way, we have a new NYLON section on this forum. The only other guitar I would have chosen over it is a Sergie DeJonge. But they cost about 4X's as much.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
After owning and auditioning many, my favorite is the one in my signature. Just got it last week. By the way, we have a new NYLON section on this forum. The only other guitar I would have chosen over it is a Sergie DeJonge. But they cost about 4X's as much.
Who sells them?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:33 AM

I used to have a Kirk Sand cedar/Brazilian rosewood guitar that was quite nice but I sold it to buy a Taylor NS72ce-LTD made of the same kinds of wood.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Who sells them?
If you are asking about Cervantes, Dream Guitars, Gryphon, Music Emporium, & 12th Fret. 12th Fret also sells Sergei De Jonge.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I used to have a Kirk Sand cedar/Brazilian rosewood guitar that was quite nice but I sold it to buy a Taylor NS72ce-LTD made of the same kinds of wood.
What did you like about the Taylor over the Kirk Sand? I have heard nothing but great things about Kirk Sands crossovers.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 AM

About a year or so ago, I was conversing with Alejandro Cervantes about getting a custom made crossover done. In my talks with him, he indicated that he could build whatever I wanted (as long as I wanted to pay for it) and that I could buy directly from him without going through a dealer. Maybe that has changed, but it's worth checking out. I never did get the crossover built, but it is still kicking around in my mind. Maybe someday.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Is my memory incorrect, or has 12th Fret increased the price of the Cervantes Crossover 1?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM

If you're in the market for a truly worldclass crossover, I highly recommend taking a close look at Matt Mustapick's Concert Nylon model:

http://mustapickguitars.com/cn/7/index.php

Matt has the creative gift in both realms, steel and nylon string guitars. He's a great guy to work with and his instruments are top shelf.

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 04-01-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
What did you like about the Taylor over the Kirk Sand? I have heard nothing but great things about Kirk Sands crossovers.
+1 I'm curious what made you choose the Taylor over the Sand?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Is my memory incorrect, or has 12th Fret increased the price of the Cervantes Crossover 1?
Maybe they have. I can't say for certain. But what I can tell you is that the Cervantes Crossover 1 PE (Palo Escrito) is the least expensive, followed by the Indian Rosewood, then the Cocobolo. They are not all priced the same. It is based on the cost of the wood and perhaps the amount of labor time to work with each wood.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Toni, the guitar I'm referring to is the Crossover 1 P.E. Seems to me that it was a bit cheaper last time I looked, maybe two weeks ago.

http://www.12fret.com/new/Cervantes_...scrito_pg.html
Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonD View Post
+1 I'm curious what made you choose the Taylor over the Sand?

It is a long story but since you asked I'll quote from a previous post of mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
...First of all, I want to say that Kirk Sand is an innovator and makes beautiful, very well crafted guitars. A lot of well known players use his guitars: Kevin Eubanks, Jose Feliciano, Richard Smith, etc. I've talked to others that have had a good experience in terms of support after the sale.

I contacted him about repairing a crack on the back of my guitar, as per an initial agreement. It took around two years for him to finally give me the go ahead to send him the guitar. (I would call to see about sending it to him and he would say, now is not a good time call me in a few months.)

When it was returned to me via UPS, upon unpacking it, I found a crack in the cedar top that extended out from one of the preamp control slots. I immediately told him about it and he suggested that I have it repaired by someone else. I took it to Randy Hughes in North Carolina who had done excellent work for me in the past and who also works on Doyle Dykes' guitars. Unaware that I had already talked to Kirk Sands, Randy Hughes suggested I send it back to Kirk Sands explaining that Kirk would want to know about the problem.

I called Kirk again and asked him to please repair the guitar adding that I would pay for him to repair it but he wouldn't. Instead he said he would e-mail me the name of a luthier near me who would be willing to repair it. I never heard from him again. I didn't want the guitar anymore after that.

I put it up for sale on eBay, got no offers (has anyone noticed that high-end guitars don't sell on eBay?) then sent it to Music & More in Davy, FL on consignment. They repaired it there but after nine months were unable to sell it. I had it shipped to Nashville so that I could try to sell it at the CAAS convention. Kirk Sand was there, as always, and agreed to sell it for me for a 20% commission. He found a buyer at the convention not ten minutes after I arranged for him to sell it.

The area around the slots was a known weak spot before mine cracked and Kirk Sand began reinforcing that area sometime after my guitar was made. I thought he should have added the reinforcement to mine while he was repairing the crack in the back. ...
There are several things I prefer about the NS72ce-Ltd. One is the unplugged tone; a second is the plugged in tone by virtue of the internal condenser microphone, which helps mask some of the objectionable piezoelectric tonal quality; and a third minor one has to do with esthetic appeal.

I'm have been on good terms with Kirk Sand and would like to reiterate that others have experienced good service from him. I haven't run in to anyone that had the unfortunate experience that I did.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical