The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-27-2019, 12:43 AM

Hi Jerry

That's a wonderful guitar!

Many thanks for the details on how to order that combination.

My needs are about the same as yours: road trips, festivals, bluegrass, old-time, fiddle tunes, singalongs.

The local music store carries the Rainsong CH series and can order other models, but didn't seem to know much about colours and options.

Cheers

Last edited by casualmusic; 04-27-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Hi, give Ted @ LA Sales a call, he is in direct contact with Dave at Rainsong and is the largest Rainsong dealer, he can get you exactly what you want and will also give you the best price. Takes about 6 weeks to get one made to your specs. You won't regret it! Jerry
Old 04-28-2019, 01:48 PM

Default RS

Fabulous looking guitar!!! I bet that 12 fret short scale is GREAT on old hands. Is the neck the standard carve? I really like my RS dread but never thought of a custom 12 fret, didn't know they would do that. Now my mind is churning!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:36 PM

Yes RS is pretty accommodating when it comes to building what you want. Yesterday was the first chance to play with my partner and do vocals and fiddle tune flat picking with the guitar. I was blown away by the tone and sustain. I am not pushing to get volume and the notes do not decay as fast as on my wood guitar making some of our regular tunes sound amazing! This is a great guitar. I have had many but this is special, can't say enough!!!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Hi, give Ted @ LA Sales a call, he is in direct contact with Dave at Rainsong and is the largest Rainsong dealer, he can get you exactly what you want and will also give you the best price. Takes about 6 weeks to get one made to your specs. You won't regret it! Jerry

Hi Jerry.

Ted has a great reputation for online sales.

But I'll start with our local stores who I like a lot. They are brave enough to bring in carbon fibre guitars (despite low sales) and will provide setup and immediate service if needed.

Many thanks

Last edited by casualmusic; 04-29-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 AM

It's always good to reward your local store when you can! I'm a big fan of Rainsong. Your store can always call Dave there and he will gladly help. Just be aware that you only have two options for necks - NS or N2, and with a short scale maybe only the NS. Rainsong does not do custom neck carves or profiles. And if that has changed, we all need to know about it.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Yes only one neck profile on all Rainsong guitars only difference is scale length one short one standard. I really like the heft on the neck I notice I never get hand pain like I experienced on a V and some other shapes. /very comfortable.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 PM

I had the NS neck on a previously owned Shorty. I think I tried talking myself into keeping that guitar because i knew I would take a loss in the used market- especially since I got stuck with a bad beat poker hand after RainSong announced their massively discounted CH-OM (same guitar just looks different). I tried to tell myself the neck was okay, and it was actually fine when I was playing on the money frets. However, moving up the neck I grew increasingly tired of fighting it. Way too chunky.

Long story short- these neck are not made for the fingerstyle player in my opinion. Does Steve Miller ever play fingerstyle? Space Cowboy with arpeggiated chords?

Nope.

Steve (Doubleneck) had it right when asking why RainSong would put all their eggs in one basket with the N2 or NS neck and call their work done. I think they are more suited to a flat picking bluegrasser or strummer but playing in the classical position (with the thumb in the center of the back of the neck) just didn't work for me and I quit lying to myself that I could acclimate. I sold that guitar and openly apologize to Steve for criticizing his criticism He was right and I didn't want to face the music.

RainSong makes wonderful instruments but more choices in neck profile and non cutaway models would definitely get my attention again. I love the tone of their guitars. I love the look. RainSong are you listening?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM

Its my understanding this is the only one and last one with no fret markers or sharks so it's a one off. I really don't care the neck and the whole guitar is just outstanding in every respect. I play all 12 and up to the 15th fret with no problem. No different than many of my wood 12 frets I have owned. Not for everyone.But the thin like Taylor necks give me hand pain after a 4 hour shot and so do Vnecks as well as SCGC mod V's just don't work for me. My J45 is probably close to perfect shape.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
.....RainSong makes wonderful instruments but more choices in neck profile and non cutaway models would definitely get my attention again. I love the tone of their guitars. I love the look. RainSong are you listening?
I comes down to the rather steep price of molds for laying up the CF. At the low five figures for just a neck mold, they have to keep the options limited (my educated guess as an engineer, no insider info). For me, either N1 or N2 necks work fine, but I prefer the N1 (original) neck on my older WS-1000. And I don't need a truss rod..... although there is really no downside to having it other than a bit more neck girth.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:02 AM

Moving up to show the pick guard and no sharks🦈
Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks, Jerry. That IS a great looking custom.

JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber