The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Default Last gasp of a dying tube

For 40 years I have been dedicated to Fender amps. I started with a bkack face Princeton Reverb, moved to a blonde Showman, then started buying Tweeds for under $150. I have been using my Current 50s Tweed Deluxe since the 90s. It had all original tubes when I took possession of it.

Last night at rehearsal the volume was dying. Turned up to 3 it has always had plenty if bark and bite. I looked into the back and saw one tube was barly glowing. It's going into the shop today for a full inspection.

I am thinking about a total retube to avoid disaster at live gigs.

Any suggestions on new tubes? I am not willing to hunt for NOS tubes, but rather the best if new tubes. A friend suggested JJ tubes.

I appreciate any and ll advice and recommendations
Old 10-02-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
For 40 years I have been dedicated to Fender amps. I started with a bkack face Princeton Reverb, moved to a blonde Showman, then started buying Tweeds for under $150. I have been using my Current 50s Tweed Deluxe since the 90s. It had all original tubes when I took possession of it.

Last night at rehearsal the volume was dying. Turned up to 3 it has always had plenty if bark and bite. I looked into the back and saw one tube was barly glowing. It's going into the shop today for a full inspection.

Any suggestions on new tubes? I am not willing to hunt for NOS tubes, but rather the best if new tubes. A friend suggested JJ tubes.

No clue im there with my mesa
Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 AM

I don’t think you can go wrong with JJs. These days quality control is good. I definitely would go with ‘hard’ tubes to begin with, rather than something that’s soft and supple to begin with then fail later after a relatively short time. These days some folks are going with a broken-in sound right from new; I wouldn’t.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I don’t think you can go wrong with JJs. These days quality control is good. I definitely would go with ‘hard’ tubes to begin with, rather than something that’s soft and supple to begin with then fail later after a relatively short time. These days some folks are going with a broken-in sound right from new; I wouldn’t.
Im getting all mesa brand tubes for me. They are russian made
Old 10-02-2018, 10:03 AM

JJs are good. Their 6v6 tubes are durable enough for a DR, which runs plate voltages well over the tube design’s rated load. Their 12ax7s aren’t bad either.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:30 AM

These guys are my go-to:

https://www.thetubestore.com/

BTW I've been using their built-to-order Preferred Series house-brand tubes for the last eight years, and I can't say enough good things about them; although they don't have a 6V6 in their lineup (yet - probably in the works as we speak given their past record) IME you can't go wrong with the 12AX7's and 5AR4, and they stand behind their product with a six-month warranty...
Old 10-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
These guys are my go-to:

BTW I've been using their built-to-order Preferred Series house-brand tubes for the last eight years, and I can't say enough good things about them; although they don't have a 6V6 in their lineup (yet - probably in the works as we speak given their past record) IME you can't go wrong with the 12AX7's and 5AR4, and they stand behind their product with a six-month warranty...
tubestore has a 15% off going on right now until oct. 31. code is NL2018-AWNP.
assuming it is a power tube, i'd just replace the two power tubes only. i've used standard jj tubes as well as the preferred tubes steve mentions.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post

I usually use NOS preamp tubes but for output tubes on a Tweed Deluxe...

One of my best friends is a crack shot amp repairman specializing in vintage amps. He has huge vintage Fender amp collection, and in that collection he has two tweed Deluxes. He also has a tube stash of NOS tube so in his lifetime he'll probably never have to buy a NOS tube. That said, he has tried many of the newer tubes, and he specifically pointed out that modern Tung Sol 6V6GT tubes really seem to sound good in these circuits, and last pretty long for an import modern tube. I've personally had good luck with Genelex Gold Lion 6V6GT tubes in my vintage and modern amps which include...

Vintage: 1950 Chicago Webster, 1961 Ampeg Mercury, 1964 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Modern: TopHat Club Deluxe, Victoria Regal II, Ampeg Jet handwired reissue, Frenzel Super Deluxe.

The one tube that stood out as a tube that didn't sound right in these amps is the JJ 6V6S tube which sounded more like a 6L6 which is not a sound I like in these amps.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 AM

I suggest matching specs on tubes.

Ed
Old 10-02-2018, 11:12 AM

For V1, EHX makes a good 12AY7. I also like their 6V6 for Tweed amps. For the lone 12AX7, whatever floats your boat. Shuguang, JJ, etc all make a decent one.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post
Im getting all mesa brand tubes for me. They are russian made
I had Russian made Sovtek, under the Groove Tube moniker in my Blues Jr.: really hard/severe/ heavy duty perhaps designed for space/scientific applications and much criticized on line. Thing is, that pair of EL84s would have lasted for decades but I had to let that amp go just when it started to perform really well. This post is off topic/ folks here know about the Tweed circuit - I don’t. However, its worth to keep in mind back in the 1950s the goal was clean headroom/ breakup was to be avoided.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good suggestions so far, so I will simply add the title would make a great song hook

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
These guys are my go-to:

I agree, they may be a bit expensive, but the tube-store does a good job testing their tubes and that's a premium I'll pay for! And if a tube is going to go bad it will typically do it in the 6 month period.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Default No Tubes

I gave up on tubes years ago. Sold all my tube equipment for some really good money. I can't hear enough difference between solid state or digital and tubes to justify the outrageous expense and weight of tube equipment. I am happy with the sound and I will never go back to tubes.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:32 PM

Thanks for every bit of information and knowledge shared. Turns out the very old Tung Sol Rectifier tube is the one that’s failing. Over the years he has replaced the pre amp tubes. The other power amp tubes are Tung Sol as well. I suppose I could use the McIntosh tubes in the 30 Watt mono amp if they would fit.

My local guy, Carl Boeman, carries JJ tubes. He likes all except the rectifier, and he has something else.He has been in the business for 40 years at least. Being in Bakersfield, I would see Buck Owens amp I’m for regular service.

One member here offered me some of his Ruby Tubes and others. Incredible kindness.

I’m in a bit of a bind because I have a gig this Sunday.

I will copy and save all the recommendations.

Matt

PS, regarding solid state, I have a Tech 21 65 Watt that is by far the best sounding SS amp I have ever owned. It kicks butt on the GK stereo guitar amp with 2 small speakers,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars