The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Default The S6, Yours, Mine, Everybody's

I own a Seagull S6 Spruce GT. I bought, frankly, on impulse because S6s have a good rep and I got it at a very reasonable price. It was new with a professionally repaired small crack.

I have noticed the the S6 is talked about as a beginners guitar. It is, but I think it is so much more! Like many guitars, it benefits from some tweaking.

I often hear the spruce version(s) quickly dismissed. I even read it talked about as " nothing special. " I know the cedar version is more well liked. The spruce is very good as well. IMO. Just different.
After doing some minor upgrades- a Colosi bone saddle, African blackwood bridge pins and experimenting with string variations, I have a guitar that fills a spot my other 5 do not.

So, S6 owners, I would like to hear your take. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

I have a S6 and a Spruce Deluxe (an S6 with a spruce top). I like the sound of the Spruce Deluxe better. But in the interest is full disclosure, I have altered my Spruce Deluxe by upgrading the original plastic nut, saddle and bridge pins with bone. I also use Elixir Optiweb strings on it too. I have not touched the S6 and I think the strings are Martin SPs and the saddle and nut might be the original Tusq. Neither of them sound as sweet as the Spruce Mahogany Artist series i am holding in my avatar.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM

I currently own three Seagull guitars - well, two Seagulls and a Simon & Patrick, but I think of them as all being Seagulls. All of mine have cedar tops with laminated cherry backs and sides.

You might have read some of my posts where Iíve expressed kind of a tepid attitude towards spruce-topped Seagulls. I have heard a few that sounded quite good, but in most cases those have been guitars that have been owned and used for a while. Whereas the cedar-topped Seagulls tend to sound great right from the start, new and fresh from the factory.

So itís not completely fair to compare them the way I have.

Anyway, itís cool that youíre enjoying yours. More power to you.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 PM

I don't think of the S6 as a "beginner's" guitar at all. I think of it as a first real acoustic guitar. But it's such a great value that it can be a reasonable first guitar for lucky beginners. And of course there are other great guitars in this category.

It is almost entirely without bling, but 95–99% of people will never need a better guitar. They'll buy better guitars, but they won't really need them.

I don't play my S6 dread any more because I have some (slight) mobility problems with left arm that make 12-fret necks much better for me. And I have discovered that I find GC/OM/000 body sizes much more comfortable.

But any version of the S6 is a great guitar.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:25 AM

I rescued an S6 from a dumpster. I cleaned it up and kept it for a while. Then I gifted it to my niece who expressed an interest in guitar.

My first decent acoustic was a S&P mahogany 1983 vintage. I still have and play that guitar. Lots of good memories on it.

Iím impressed with Canadian guitar values.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM

I have recently been looking at this S6:

seagull s6 original slim ch burnt umber gt a/e

Spruce over wild cherry, gloss finish, concert hall shape, acoustic electric. Based on Youtube videos it sounds great.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
I have a S6 and a Spruce Deluxe (an S6 with a spruce top). I like the sound of the Spruce Deluxe better. But in the interest is full disclosure, I have altered my Spruce Deluxe by upgrading the original plastic nut, saddle and bridge pins with bone. I also use Elixir Optiweb strings on it too. I have not touched the S6 and I think the strings are Martin SPs and the saddle and nut might be the original Tusq. Neither of them sound as sweet as the Spruce Mahogany Artist series i am holding in my avatar.
I had never heard of Elixir Optiweb strings so I looked them up. The only information I found says Elixir only uses the Optiweb coating on their electric strings.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 AM

I have had my Seagull S6 Original 2018 only two weeks after starting my guitar playing on a Yamaha C40 Classical. As a first steel string I have been amazed at the quality and sound (especially finger picking). I am just starting out in the world of strumming and starting to get some nice sounding chords as my timing improves. The major surprise is how much my 'Classical' playing has improved as I swap between the two guitars.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 PM

We bought an S6 for people to tool around with in our office. Everybody in our office that plays that guitar loves it. It has a fantastic tone that suggests a much higher price point guitar. I also really like the plain satin finish. In light of its tone and beauty, I think it is an excellent guitar - really at any price but definitely at about $400 if I remember correctly.

If Seagull made a guitar with the same specs but with a small body I would buy that guitar in a heartbeat. Please somebody let me know that they make it and I just haven't found it yet.

But in short, in my experience the S6 is a fantastic guitar.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebrot View Post
We bought an S6 for people to tool around with in our office. Everybody in our office that plays that guitar loves it. It has a fantastic tone that suggests a much higher price point guitar. I also really like the plain satin finish. In light of its tone and beauty, I think it is an excellent guitar - really at any price but definitely at about $400 if I remember correctly.

If Seagull made a guitar with the same specs but with a small body I would buy that guitar in a heartbeat. Please somebody let me know that they make it and I just haven't found it yet.

For smaller models, check out Simon and Patrick, Norman and Art and Lutherie brands. All made in the same factories as Seagull in Quebec Canada. All great guitars for the money.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatini View Post
I had never heard of Elixir Optiweb strings so I looked them up. The only information I found says Elixir only uses the Optiweb coating on their electric strings.
My bad. I put those on my Tele. Nanoweb is what is on my acoustics.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebrot View Post

Yes they do, and it's right here on my lap. It's the S6+ Folk, a cedar-topped, Wild-Cherry bodied, wide-necked and short-scaled model. After adding a bone saddle (thanks, MacNichol!), it has a loud and full voice, with plenty of resonance. It won't make me give up my MJs, but it's much more sound and tone than I've heard from the next size down, the Grand Concerts.

The Folk models are just the size of a standard classic guitar, BTW.

Mine was bought used, 16 years old, for $160. I got lucky!
Guitars? A gradually changing cast, now including: Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo; Seagull S6 Folk ('02); Simon & Patrick Woodland Mini Jumbo ('07), Godin Icon 2 Convertible; Godin Fifth Avenue Kingpin; Ibanez Mikro Bass.

(Formerly known here as "Ex-Nashvillian")
Old 08-14-2018, 08:57 PM

I far prefer the s6 spruce. I did even when first comparing the spruce and cedar models...now that it's broken in, I'm sure of it.

I've had mine 22 years. Never bought another drednaught, doubt I will. It's just a great guitar, and completely satisfies that niche in my playing arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion