The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-31-2018, 11:51 AM
theflink theflink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 259
Smile Heart of Gold - Neil Young Cover :-)

Hey guys!

As a follow-up to my Vicent video ( https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=516848 ) I just uploaded my second video!




It's one of the songs I always play at gigs and being a huge Neil Young fan, I just had to do this one!

Hope you guys like it and would consider leaving a like or something on the youtube video. I'd really love for some more people to see the videos so I can get some feedback!

Kind regards,

Marc!
__________________
Guitars:

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20

Last edited by theflink; 07-31-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2018, 04:54 PM
SprintBob's Avatar
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 2,294
Default

Nice job, more baritone than Neil (who isn’t!) but I like it.
__________________
Collings 0001A (Adi/Mahogany)
Cordoba GK Pro Negra (Spruce/EIR)
Froggy Bottom H-12 (Adi/EIR)
Rainsong P-12 (all carbon fiber)
Robinson 12 Fret SS Dread (Spruce/Mahogany)
Santa Cruz Skye 00 (Adi/Coco)
Taylor 714ce 12 fret (Cedar/Koa)
Taylor K-22ce 12 fret (all Koa)
Taylor 562ce 12 fret (all Mahogany)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM
reeve21 reeve21 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,889
Default

Another nice job, Marc. Lot's of passion!
__________________
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 AM
LWSog LWSog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 929
Default

Nice job, Marc! Good rendering of this great tune!
__________________
Larry
SCGC OM Grand/Kopp K35/Stratocaster/Godin 5th Ave Kingpin/Seagull Coastline Cedar 12/Gretsch Boxcar/Sigma GCS-6
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2018, 03:27 AM
theflink theflink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 259
Default

Thanks guys! Hope you have a great day :-)
__________________
Guitars:

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-05-2018, 05:05 AM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,734
Default

Sounds good, nice work.

We do it in the original key. I'm a baritone, but I have learned how to sing these types of songs in the correct key with lessons. We also do Harvest Moon and Long May You Run in the original key. It took some work but it sounds a lot better. I get lots of compliments on the vocals and how "Neil Young-ish" I sound.
Just a suggestion, but if you're interested, check out Ken Tamplin on You Tube. He is a vocal instructor who has been of enormous help and has enabled me to extend my range significantly. Even his free stuff is worthwhile.
__________________
Jamie

_________________
"Everyone move along, nothing to see here."

Pono D 20 Sunburst SS
Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
Fender Copper Burst Telecaster
The herd is getting thinner.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Wrighty Wrighty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ovington, UK
Posts: 452
Default

Very nice - you’re a natural. Keep working it..
__________________
Avalon A200 (2003)
Furch OM24 SR (2016)
Stonebridge OM22 CM (2011)
Masano 420 D18 (1979)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 AM
theflink theflink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Sounds good, nice work.

We do it in the original key. I'm a baritone, but I have learned how to sing these types of songs in the correct key with lessons. We also do Harvest Moon and Long May You Run in the original key. It took some work but it sounds a lot better. I get lots of compliments on the vocals and how "Neil Young-ish" I sound.
Just a suggestion, but if you're interested, check out Ken Tamplin on You Tube. He is a vocal instructor who has been of enormous help and has enabled me to extend my range significantly. Even his free stuff is worthwhile.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've never really understood the need to do songs in the same key as the original recording. For me, it's more important to find the sweet spot for my own voice. I can sing it in the original key, but for me, this just feels better and more natural to me.

But every voice is different, of course! I've personally never been one to aim for the original key. Just for what makes the song pop for my own voice and ears.

I do, however, really appreciate you taking the time to write the advice and suggestion. Thank you very much! Have a great day
__________________
Guitars:

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 AM
rokdog49 rokdog49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,734
Default

No problem. Taking a song and making it your own is great.
I do that a lot as well. The thing about doing it like Neil in his voice is strictly for the sake of live performance in our situation. People love it when you can cover a song that closely. Neil is so unique, it's a challenge to do him. We never fail to get complimented when we do that and it helps with the tip jar.
It's all good.
__________________
Jamie

_________________
"Everyone move along, nothing to see here."

Pono D 20 Sunburst SS
Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
Fender Copper Burst Telecaster
The herd is getting thinner.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 31,050
Default

Nice job on this Marc! Good job all around!

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Dustinfurlow Dustinfurlow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 790
Default

Was just thinking of learning this yesterday but had no time... Thanks for lighting a fire under my butt! Sounds good man
__________________
Beneteau SJ (Italian/Black Walnut)
Beneteau M (Carpathian/Ebony)
Lowden F23 (Cedar/Walnut)
Larrivee L-09 (Italian/Madagascar)
Larrivee LS-03 (Italian/Mahogany)

D’Addario Strings and K&K Sound Product Endorser

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-10-2018, 02:11 PM
DWKitt DWKitt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 71
Default

Great video. Well done. I really enjoyed that. I admire how smooth your performance is.

This is one of the songs I really wanted to learn to play because I'm a huge Neil fan. I'm currently working on it and have made a lot of progress and it seems to be coming together for me, but I'm no where near your level, or even Neil's, lol. To be honest I never gave any thought to playing it in any other key than G. I also like how you've added your own little personal touches like the added intro and playing the fills even in the outro. That's a nice touch. You've got me thinking about playing songs in my own way and not just trying to copy the original recordings so much. Very inspiring. Thank you for posting this.

Nice guitar, btw.
__________________
Don

Yamaha FG800
Seagull Maritime SWS SG
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:34 AM
theflink theflink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Was just thinking of learning this yesterday but had no time... Thanks for lighting a fire under my butt! Sounds good man
Thank you Dustin. Hope we'll get to hear your version soon!
__________________
Guitars:

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 AM
theflink theflink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
Great video. Well done. I really enjoyed that. I admire how smooth your performance is.

This is one of the songs I really wanted to learn to play because I'm a huge Neil fan. I'm currently working on it and have made a lot of progress and it seems to be coming together for me, but I'm no where near your level, or even Neil's, lol. To be honest I never gave any thought to playing it in any other key than G. I also like how you've added your own little personal touches like the added intro and playing the fills even in the outro. That's a nice touch. You've got me thinking about playing songs in my own way and not just trying to copy the original recordings so much. Very inspiring. Thank you for posting this.

Nice guitar, btw.
This is such a touching comment. Thank you so much, my friend! I've been playing this song for so long that it just feels completely like my own.

Never limit yourself to a certain key, or a certain way of doing things. I've never wanted to do it any other way. This works for me, and dare I say that it sounds pretty decent.

Keep going man, never stop! No retreat, no surrender
__________________
Guitars:

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=