The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 AM

I really like this new touch Tom's developed of bevelling part of the sides of the headstock, so that the maple underneath the Rocklite cap can be seen straight on. A lovely little detail that draws you in... And which seems appropriate on a guitar nicknamed Beverly!

"We decided to drop in a little extra bling with a matching copper headstock inlay ... I love how it catches the light, a wonderfully versatile material!", says Tom. Me too!

This mirrors the endgraft, and ties in with the rosette. Visually, odd numbers of things tend to be more aesthetically pleasing, so I'm enjoying that there are three coordinated copper inlays!

And now... off to the shiny shop! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0nEC5vsH7w

So close now...
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 06-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:03 AM

Back from finish. That was quick! (Ok, so I'm a little behind with the thread and am playing catch up).

Take me to the bridge...

Tom's making up a template for it using richlite (not Rocklite) as its super hard wearing, perfect for bearing guided router cutters to ride against.

Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 AM

I'm definitely not game for fretless playing, so I guess we'll need some of those metal bar thingies that go in the neck.

I love Tom's fretwork - particularly those meticulous semi-hemispherical ends! I've gone with evo-gold as it'll tie in visually with, the copper and it's really hard wearing, without being as murderous on tools as stainless steel (and looks cooler, IMHO).

From the mouth of the luthier: “I like to protect the face of the guitar with flooring vinyl, wouldn’t want to accidentally hit the top with a fretting hammer now…”

Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 06-12-2019, 01:30 AM

So ... Beverly is basically done...

And as soon as she was back from the shiny shop, the teasing began...

Tom and Daisy really are a cruel bunch...

But I can just see enough to tell that Beverly looks HUGE compared to that Model M!

Steve's also given it a thorough inspection...

Case wise, I'm no Michael Watts, but I was inspired by fashion...

Actually, I lie. I just thought white was a more practical colour for a case in terms of heat and being able to identify it against the sea of black cases. I thought I'd also try the twist latches on the Hoffee on recommendation from a fellow AGFer.

So after two years, and a tantalising final month or two of Beverly being ready but my not managing to get up to Tom to collect her (and preferring to take personal delivery from Tom rather than him put her in the post), NGD was nearly upon me...

In the meantime, an extra special shout out and huge thanks again to Daisy Tempest for her amazing photography and help throughout the build. Here's her blog about her photography journey - a year at Tom Sands Guitars.
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 06-12-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Your posts are always great Dan, and after seeing that image above I am hoping you will consider painting a small bow tie on the top of the Hoffee.

As to finding time to pick it up, for me to pick up my new 00 in person would be a 15 hour plane flight, so I am envious of you with your close proximity to Tom!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Just saw the Baritone video! It's a fantastic looking guitar--congratulations! I now realize that the best answer to the "What options should I choose" is "all of them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewvxejS_uEk

Last edited by CitizenAudio; 06-13-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Apologies for the radio silence: life's been hectic (isn't it always?!?).

So, before NGD I was treated to a few extra shots:

Just look at that ovangkol! Insane!

Plus the family portrait: Baby Bear (with Daisy Tempest), Mumma Bear (with Connor Thomas), Poppa Bear (with Tom Sands)

Ready for strings ...

Strung up and into the case...

Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 07-09-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:18 AM

As you may have gathered from the above, this thread is lagging behind reality. And indeed NGD. So, Tom jumped on a train...

And ... after a tortuous wait ... he and Beverly arrived!

Beautifully presented in her tuxedo case, I apprehensively untwisted the latches...

My gratification was delayed somewhat in that Tom had thoughtfully covered the top with a black polishing cloth and a handwritten card. So, resisting the urge to grab the guitar straight away, I - as custom dictates - politely read the card! An additional tease from Tom? Or a lovely touch and something else to treasure? Both, perhaps!

So, on to the guitar...

They say a picture speaks a 1000 words. So here she she is in all her glory (continuing the tease theme - panning down from the top!) ...

After I'd admired the fit and finish, and stunning materials, Tom sat very patiently as I played for maybe a couple of hours in full fat baritone mode, before we swapped out the strings for mediums and I played it in D guitar (and alternate tunings down from there) mode.

Trust me, she plays and sounds every bit as good as she looks.

It's sometimes said that bass is cheap - and it's the trebles where you really have to do the work. Perhaps all the more so on a baritone. I'm delighted to say that Beverly has rich, thick, phat trebles (which made me think of Michael Greenfields work), and all the delicious bass you could want. It's a heavy guitar (no doubt the wood choice, those bevels and the triple sides), but she has a lovely balance to her in the lap (no sniggering at the back), and is beautifully balanced tonally too.

To my mind, the ovangkol works really well here (I told Tom is was a "genius tonewood choice" - though I'm not sure which of us gets the credit! ). Tom described it's tap tone as somewhere between koa and rosewood. I think the rosewood element suits the long, slow, haunting aspect of the baritone (at least, that's the way I like to play it - with just two or three carefully spaced notes at a time, often using lots of harmonics) and brings out bass and treble, overtones, harmonics & reverbiness. The koa side brings some clarity, mid-range loveliness and balances it all out. But maybe I'm imagining all this and it'd sound just as good in mahogany, pine, balsa or paper mache ...! Whatever, it looks absolutely gorgeous. The chatoyance needs to be seen in the flesh to be fully appreciated! (I'll try to make a video at some point in case I can capture it a bit on film)

More to come (including more pics, videos, recounting some hanging with Tom Sands and Mike Dawes and others, and more on it as D guitar - where it's D-lightful), but in the meantime - the TL;DR? I'm absolutely thrilled with it! I'm really looking forward to recording three or four tunes for my forthcoming album on it in the next few months; and maybe a cover or two as separate projects, and of course to a lifelong journey together!
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 07-10-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, Dan,

That thing looks stunning, and I've just listened to the 'Introducing the Tom Sands Model L Baritone, "Beverley"' video... it sounds utterly, utterly astonishing.

I think Tom's hit it out of the park again! Massive congratulations, and hope to meet it in person soon!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Dan. After a long journey (not just the train to London!) it is fantastic that finally you have this wonderful instrument in your hands.

Enjoy!

Col
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Wow, Dan,

That thing looks stunning, and I've just listened to the 'Introducing the Tom Sands Model L Baritone, "Beverley"' video... it sounds utterly, utterly astonishing.

I think Tom's hit it out of the park again! Massive congratulations, and hope to meet it in person soon!

Cheers,
David
My thoughts exactly David! Stunning looks and astonishing tone! Let's make sure you two meet soon! (Ian's on Sat?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Congratulations Dan. After a long journey (not just the train to London!) it is fantastic that finally you have this wonderful instrument in your hands.

Enjoy!

Col
Thanks Col! Fantastic indeed! Feeling very fortunate right here. I should have some recording time in/around September, so looking forward to sharing the results.
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 07-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

What a jewel of a guitar ! Congratulations to you and Tom both !

I'd love to be in the same room when you play it to hear and feel the power and presence. It must feel awesome to make that beast rumble fire then breathe silk.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Congratulations Dan!! The guitar looks absolutely incredible. And I really need a baritone in my collection! Hahah

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-21-2019, 11:40 AM

So where where you yesterday when a whole ton of us - including Mr. Sands himself - were drooling in anticipation of this beast?

I suspect on half-term hols with the fam?

...which is no excuse whatsoever.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-22-2019, 05:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
So where where you yesterday when a whole ton of us - including Mr. Sands himself - were drooling in anticipation of this beast?

I suspect on half-term hols with the fam?

...which is no excuse whatsoever.

Cheers,
Steve
Indeed - no excuse. I actually had to go out and buy a new car on Saturday morning to make it down (complete engine failure on the old one)... and then no Beverly??

Unacceptable

The two Model L's have to meet - let's catch up soon.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
"modified dreadnaught", "modified dreadnought", "somogyi", "tom sands", baritone