The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-09-2010, 02:12 PM

Default Recording Setup

Hello,

I'm looking to start casually recording, but i don't know a great deal about that area.

What I'm looking for is to record to computer from a usb interface with something like Mbox.I'm hoping to go with 3 mics: Vocals and 2 on Acoustic guitar.

The problem I'm seeing is when i look at the Mbox and other usb interfaces, they only have 2 source ports. How do i get 3 mics hooked up to an interface like this? Lets say i was using an Mbox 1.

Please be gentle, as i say, i don't know a great deal about all the recording stuff. I'm just looking to have fun.

Thanks,

Scott
2008 Yamaha APX-500
2008 Epiphone EJ-200
2007 Fender CD-140
2007 Florian A4006-BK
2006 Fender GEMINI 2 - My First Guitar

Other guitars
Some crappy Swift Electric.
Another crappy electric.

"I'm a happy-go-lucky character. I'm not that miserable, but I can never let anyone into my world."
-Noel Gallagher
Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Basically with an interface you need to have a separate input for each mic or source, and a preamp on that input. Either built into the unit or externally. Or you could hook everything up to a mixer, then run the mixer into one input, but i am assuming you dont want to do that.

If you want to record vocals and guitar straight out of the box like you indicated you will need an interface with at least three preamps built in. So something like the Mark of the Unicorn 8pre, which has 8 preamps with XLR or quarter inch inputs. That would enable you to hook up 8 mics at a time, if you were recording a band or something.

Another option would be to get something with preamps on two inputs, but with additional quarter inch inputs that require an external preamp. I have the Presonus Mobile, which cost $250 used on ebay. It has two inputs with preamps, and six additional inputs on the back. So out of the box i can record with two mics, but if i want to use more I have to hook up an external preamp, like the M audio DMP3.

Or you could just track guitar and vocals separately, negating the need for three inputs.

I hope that answers your question. Sorry if it was kind of long winded.

Anton
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Are you planning to record guitar and vocal at the same time? If so, and assuming you want a bit of separation between the vocal and guitar so you can process them separately, you'll probably have more success with two mics. Any stereo mic array on the guitar will also pick up a lot of the vocal.

If you still wish to do three mics you can choose an interface with more mic inputs, choose an interface with line inputs and add an external mic preamp, or use a mixer ahead of the interface. There are plenty of low cost reasonable quality options in both directions.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Basically with an interface you need to have a separate input for each mic or source, and a preamp on that input. Either built into the unit or externally. Or you could hook everything up to a mixer, then run the mixer into one input, but i am assuming you dont want to do that.

If you want to record vocals and guitar straight out of the box like you indicated you will need an interface with at least three preamps built in. So something like the Mark of the Unicorn 8pre, which has 8 preamps with XLR or quarter inch inputs. That would enable you to hook up 8 mics at a time, if you were recording a band or something.

Another option would be to get something with preamps on two inputs, but with additional quarter inch inputs that require an external preamp. I have the Presonus Mobile, which cost $250 used on ebay. It has two inputs with preamps, and six additional inputs on the back. So out of the box i can record with two mics, but if i want to use more I have to hook up an external preamp, like the M audio DMP3.

Or you could just track guitar and vocals separately, negating the need for three inputs.

I hope that answers your question. Sorry if it was kind of long winded.

Anton
Yeah i don't want to do the whole seperate vocals and guitar thing. That MOTU is pretty expensive for someone just wanting to mess around with recording. IS there anything else that would do the job fora little less ?
2008 Yamaha APX-500
2008 Epiphone EJ-200
2007 Fender CD-140
2007 Florian A4006-BK

Other guitars
Another crappy electric.

"I'm a happy-go-lucky character. I'm not that miserable, but I can never let anyone into my world."
-Noel Gallagher
Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietspam View Post
Yeah i don't want to do the whole seperate vocals and guitar thing. That MOTU is pretty expensive for someone just wanting to mess around with recording. IS there anything else that would do the job fora little less ?
Is there a specific reason you want a USB interface type recording unit?
Are you aware of the elaborate software you'll need to learn how to run?

Let me tell you my experience....one that I've shared here many times before.

I bought a Lexicon Omega USB interface about 4-5 years ago. It came with Cubase LE software...and a 520 page manual!!!!

I spent an entire weekend trying to get something recorded, and the best I could do was get what sounded like me singing at the bottom of a pool.

I sent it back, bought a Tascam DP01-FX and I was multitracking with excellent results 15 minutes after I unboxed it.

The stand alone units like the Tascam are great because you can take them anywhere to record. You buy the USB unit, and you are "chained" to your computer.

The Tascam only has two inputs, but you may find that the tonal difference between using two mics on the guitar, and one well placed one is very minimal.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

I bought a Lexicon Omega USB interface about 4-5 years ago. It came with Cubase LE software...and a 520 page manual!!!!

I spent an entire weekend trying to get something recorded, and the best I could do was get what sounded like me singing at the bottom of a pool.

I sent it back, bought a Tascam DP01-FX and I was multitracking with excellent results 15 minutes after I unboxed it.

The stand alone units like the Tascam are great because you can take them anywhere to record. You buy the USB unit, and you are "chained" to your computer.

The Tascam only has two inputs, but you may find that the tonal difference between using two mics on the guitar, and one well placed one is very minimal.
No, there's not really a reason why. People I've asked before just say usb, so i thought that's better. But, you make some good points about the mobility side of things. Again with the 2 mics on guitar, it's just what people have said. I've read a little more into it and i can see a lot of people are saying the same thing you are. I'll take a look into that. That will mean i only have to get one mic for the guitar, so saving a bit of money there.

Are there any other units like the Tascam? It looks good, but i just want to compare it with some others.
2008 Yamaha APX-500
2008 Epiphone EJ-200
2007 Fender CD-140
2007 Florian A4006-BK

Other guitars
Another crappy electric.

-Noel Gallagher
Old 11-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Contrarily, ten years ago I hooked up a Behringer mixer to the Line In ports on my off the shelf PC, connected a Shure SM57, loaded Cool Edit Pro and made a recording that knocked my socks off in 5 minutes.

Standalone recorders have some advantages, but computer based systems work for millions of people around the world every day and they have significant advantages in flexibility, scalability, and features.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Musical minimalist

I was just looking at the OP's comments about "casual recording" and "looking to have fun". I know the PC based recording systems can do amazing things IF you know what you are doing, but I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to produce their own CD for public sale at this point, so I was just helping them with the simplest thing they could use that would be user friendly.

I'm not too up on the other alternatives to what I have.....I've had it for about 5 years and not interested in replacing it until it doesn't work anymore!!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I was just looking at the OP's comments about "casual recording" and "looking to have fun". I know the PC based recording systems can do amazing things IF you know what you are doing, but I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to produce their own CD for public sale at this point, so I was just helping them with the simplest thing they could use that would be user friendly.

I'm not too up on the other alternatives to what I have.....I've had it for about 5 years and not interested in replacing it until it doesn't work anymore!!
It looks pretty good. Another question i have is about mic jacks. some have 3 pins, others just have a jack. On the Tascam is looks like a jack port, do all mics have a cable that will support this?
2008 Yamaha APX-500
2008 Epiphone EJ-200
2007 Fender CD-140
2007 Florian A4006-BK

Other guitars
Another crappy electric.

-Noel Gallagher
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
It looks pretty good. Another question i have is about mic jacks. some have 3 pins, others just have a jack. On the Tascam is looks like a jack port, do all mics have a cable that will support this?
I think you are referring to XLR vs. 1/4 phone plugs......dynamic mics can use 1/4" jacks, but condensors (what you'll want to record with) use XLR's to have the phantom power delivered to them. The Tascam provides 48v phantom power (as do most units like this) It also has effects built into it (I only use the reverb....the others seemed a bit chincy anyway!)

There is also a version of this that has it's own CD burner right on it.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I think you are referring to XLR vs. 1/4 phone plugs......dynamic mics can use 1/4" jacks, but condensors (what you'll want to record with) use XLR's to have the phantom power delivered to them. The Tascam provides 48v phantom power (as do most units like this) It also has effects built into it (I only use the reverb....the others seemed a bit chincy anyway!)

There is also a version of this that has it's own CD burner right on it.
Condensor on vocals as well?
2008 Yamaha APX-500
2008 Epiphone EJ-200
2007 Fender CD-140
2007 Florian A4006-BK

Other guitars
Another crappy electric.

-Noel Gallagher
Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Condensor on vocals as well?
for best results, yes......I use an Audix VX5 and it's a fantastic mic for it's price range (buy it used and it's even better) There are many options and price ranges for both guitar and vocal mics of course. I'd probably reccomend a small diaphragm condensor for the guitar because it would be easier to use in a live setting if you so chose to. I've had great luck with the Audix ADX-51, and was quite suprised by their very inexpensive F15.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm a hobbyist. Period. I'm not sound proofing walls or anything anytime soon. LOL. That being said, I'd like to do some recording using more than my cheapo usb to 1/4" jack.....too much latency.

I definitely want the apogee. I'm actually torn between the one, duet, and gio foot pedal. At this momnt, all I have is my mac and my acoustic guitar. My views on each.

ONE. I like that the mic is built in. I dont like that its just 1 input. Do you ever record both vocals and guitar simultaneously just using the mic? Is that even possible? I dont really want to lay down a guitar track then vocals seperately.

DUET. Cool, but then I have to buy a mic and a stand....I dont think my wife is not gonna like that......and we're talking $600+

GIO. Really cool, but no mic input. SO im stuck recording guitars only...no vocals...right?
(I considered combining the one with the GIO.....but now were talking 650+....a little outside my price range.

Oh yeah, and I really want a jam-man solo for looping and have no live setup..lol....just an acoustic amp that ive had for years...

Any Help would be appreciated..

Thanks so much,

Bill
Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givempills View Post
I definitely want the apogee. I'm actually torn between the one, duet, and gio foot pedal. At this momnt, all I have is my mac and my acoustic guitar. My views on each.

ONE. I like that the mic is built in. I dont like that its just 1 input. Do you ever record both vocals and guitar simultaneously just using the mic? Is that even possible? I dont really want to lay down a guitar track then vocals seperately.

DUET. Cool, but then I have to buy a mic and a stand....I dont think my wife is not gonna like that......and we're talking $600+

GIO. Really cool, but no mic input. SO im stuck recording guitars only...no vocals...right?
(I considered combining the one with the GIO.....but now were talking 650+....a little outside my price range.

Oh yeah, and I really want a jam-man solo for looping and have no live setup..lol....just an acoustic amp that ive had for years...
You have several questions here.

1) The Duet is a FW interface with an I/O breakout cable that connects your microphones, instruments, and speakers. It has 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution, microphone preamps, and a fairly decent DAC. I think it is one of the best Mac interfaces for the money. It also has a headphone jack, and software to help you set things up.

2) The GIO is a USB guitar interface. It doubles as a MIDI controller for your Mac. In fact, it's designed to work with Apple's Logic Studio, MainStage, and GarageBand. You can use GiO to turn virtual stompboxes on and off, just like using a real pedalboard. It is one of the better ways to control your various software tools.

With your limited budget, I would look at buying the Duet and then getting a decent external mic. I would wait to buy the GIO, but would definitely plan on buying one sometime.

Are you referring to the built-in Mac mic? If so, forget it. The mic on Mac's is okay for conference calls, but for anything serious it is a joke.

Regarding the JamMan, if you eventually get the GIO then there will be no need for one. So, with the Duet, GIO, and a decent mic you can count on spending just over a grand.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 PM

I say +1 on the 2 mic set-up.

I own an E-MU 0404 USB and really like it. I have taken it with me out of the house along with a stereo mic for doing recordings outside the studio. It really works great.

And thanks for the heads-up on that 8-inpt pre. I might want to record drums at some point (just one mic short of a 4-mic set-up for drums).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD