The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives

Saw them last night and was blown away. Marty lets each band member take lead vocals on a couple of tunes. His solo mandolin version of Orange Blossom Special was worth the price of admission alone. Great vocal harmonies, too. If you like the sound of Martin dreads and telecasters you won't be disappointed!
Old 05-18-2018, 02:53 PM

That’s good to hear. I’m going to see Chris Stapleton in a few weeks and Marty is one of the opening acts. I was already excited about the concert they makes it more exciting. Hard to go wrong with Martin D’s and Teles.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

They're incredible live...have seen them thrice now and they're all great guys, to boot. Such a fun show with incredible skills all over the stage. Kenny Vaughan is as good as tele player as there is around today, hands down. Their harmonies are so tight and they are all top notch. Marty's instruments are super special, too, and just fun to be around especially his tele (Clarence White's original B-bender) and his Mandolin with a ton of autographs etched in. It's cool that he's opening some shows for Stapleton because a bunch of people will be exposed to that level of talent and Marty's legendary talent.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 AM

A former band member, Brad Davis, lives in North Texas and has a recording studio and does some lessons. It is pretty cool to visit his studio and see his Grammy he won with Marty Stuart. Lots of interesting stories also.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I’m going to see Chris Stapleton in a few weeks and Marty is one of the opening acts.
Uh... shouldn't that be the other way around...?

Came to this thread because Marty is playing a show here in Tucson, I've never seen him, and the tickets are not cheap. But based on what I see here, I might spring for it.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-14-2020, 03:30 PM

Old 02-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

They come to our local music bar pretty regularly. Always a great show. One Friday nite they were playing one of the big venues in town and after the show the superlatives showed up at the bar.
A local group was playing and they jumped up on stage and played several tunes with them. Afterwards I congratulated the young Clapton wannabe guitar player with the local group for being able to play with Kenny Vaughan. He had no idea who I was talking about.

Some photos:

Marty playing Clarence White's B-Bender Tele

Playing the old Gibson mandolin that Johnny Cash carved his initials in

His signature Martin Dread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:24 PM
Musical minimalist

Looks like he has a new bass player since the TV show days. Just saw he's going to be at Meijer Gardens June 29th - might have to go.

Got to tell a quick Marty story from the '91 Watson Festival (now Merlefest)

Marty and Sam Bush were supposed to do a Mando workshop in the middle of one rainy afternoon. It was in a tent with bales of hay to sit on as they used to do.

It was about 20 minutes after it was supposed to start, and this van comes snaking through the crowd (fancy conversion style) and when it stops, Marty stumbles out and makes it clear he's not sure why he's there (it was also pretty clear he had been indulging)

When he hears that it's a mando workshop, he calls back into the van - "Bring my mandoleen-o"

When someone says Sam is supposed to be there too, he says "Late As Usual" (referring to the title of one of Sam's recordings)

When Sam didn't show, he asked if there were any guitar pickers in the audience and a guy in the back pointed at his buddy and he went up.

As you'd expect, he was pretty nervous at first, but once they got going it was pretty spectacular.

Just one of those moments in time that you remember for a long time!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 PM

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-pills-200808/

Good read, and insight into the Marty Stuart of today vs. 1991 in regards to substance abuse.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-pills-200808/

Good read, and insight into the Marty Stuart of today vs. 1991 in regards to substance abuse.
He was doing some serious slurring, that's for sure!

Enjoyed that - thanks!

Old 02-15-2020, 03:37 AM

Listening to Tom Petty radio on Sirius XM the other day, Mark Felsot played a live recording of Marty and Company doing a rave-up of
Runnin' Down a Dream"...man...he played Mike's solo on a mandolin...amazing...he's been around for a long time, too...played w/just about everybody...
Old 02-28-2020, 09:37 PM

Saw him last summer when he was opening for Steve Miller. Should REALLY have been the other way around! Steve Miller was a huge disappointment, but Marty Stuart stole the show.

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN