The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvAcoustic6 View Post
...and the top end is moderately low tech. ...
Could you please explain what you mean by that?

Quote:
...you really cant mix on headphones because the stereo field is artificial. ...
It seems to me that since the stereo field of a recording is a reproduction, sometimes conveying the spatial information of an actual stage, other times information synthesized in a studio; both a pair of speakers and a pair of headphones create an artificial stereo field.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I've owned many headphones over the years. Still the best bang for the buck I've found that compare very similarly to AKG's are the Yamaha RH-5A's. And they are incredibly cost effective to boot.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

AKG 240 Studio. Great sound and not costly.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
After reading a lot of threads, I figured it out. I think...

Denon D1100......Bass is better than M50s....and lighter, and smaller. And looks quite classy....

Any negatives ?
Like Ty Ford said... better in what way?

I can't imagine the ATH-M50 having any more bass... for (1) my enjoyment, but that is subjective; and (2) any accurate studio work requiring a reasonably "flat" response. Unless you have changed your purpose entirely to listening to music.
Of course better can mean tighter bass, that's a good thing.
But "more" bass is not always good considering it usually muddies up the other frequencies.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 PM

I think have responded to a similar post to this recently but I will say it again. I love the Dr. Dre's. For me they do everything across the board. I have them on now. Also they are about the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned. I can listen to music for hours with them and not have any issues. Just my $.02.

Epiphone Les Paul Special (all classic Gibson parts)
Frankenstein Ibanez (in the works)
Old 11-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Get More Than One Set - You'll Need 'Em

Aloha,

I use AKG 240 Studio's because I know what to expect from them, they're comfortable & accurate & don't cost too much.

I must add this: Headphones are perhaps the most easily & likely to be broken of all recording equipment. One quick trip to pick up a phone call - or a beer - forgetting they're on your head and they're cooked.

Yeah, some engineers have paid up to $15K for electro-static cans. But so what? All headsets have a date of destruction on them, depending on how clutzy - or old, in my case - the user is.

So always keep at least A PAIR of accurate, comfortable headsets around for "just in case."

alohachris
Old 11-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Location: Where the blue sky leads me to follow the golden horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Could you please explain what you mean by that?

It seems to me that since the stereo field of a recording is a reproduction, sometimes conveying the spatial information of an actual stage, other times information synthesized in a studio; both a pair of speakers and a pair of headphones create an artificial stereo field.
Ok, the idea of monitoring is to have accuracy.
So, to have accuracy you have to have neutrality,.... so that you are getting the sonic info delivered as its written instead of getting it as its rewritten by artifical design.
And with some headphones, such as the Senns we are discussing, they are not designed to be neutral, they are designed to supply more low mids and enhanced treble.

by "artificial" stereo, what im explaining is that headphones by design take the information they are fed by the sender and they place it more on the left and on the right, artifically.
This is by design.
This is why a really good headphone amp, ...like a Headroom Max,... will offer you a "blend" switch that allows some of the hard left/hard right headphone soundstage aspect to be a bit more center blended in your head as you listen.

See, you hear in stereo.
This means that your ears , say the left one......gets audio information from the right side and mixes it in with the left side info its picking up, and vise versa., as that is the way our ears pick up sound as processed by our brain. = all around = perspective.
In other words, the left ear HEARS and Perceives more then just the audio information that is on the left side..
This is the perspective that is lost when you use headphones, because a set of headphones is a closed audio delivery system.
In headphones, the true audio soundstage is marginalized so that your ears, which are each in a cup, are getting what the headphones are seperating as "left" or "right", which is not a true stereo aspect as you would hear it without headphones, and in this, you are getting artificial separation and thus not a true stereo aspect, when you use cans.
What really good cans and a good headphone amp do best is let you see deeper into music the small details which otherwise would take an extreme high end $$$$$$ hi res audiophile system playing in a perfectly tuned room to show you.
What you lose when using cans is some stereo perspective.
Its a fair trade for inner details, i think.....however, when it comes to mixing on cans......well

Last edited by LuvAcoustic6; 11-28-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 PM

I want a tighter bass, it can be loud if the trebles also ring out true.

hmm the denon 1100...(I keep hearing good reviews) like for example, I don't need an amp to use it with my ipod touch......

and that it's above average for recording....(suppose to be close to the denon 2000)

especially considering in my country...

the denon's are somehow cheaper than the m50s......
Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvAcoustic6 View Post
Ok, the idea of monitoring is to have accuracy.
So, to have accuracy you have to have neutrality,.... so that you are getting the sonic info delivered as its written instead of getting it as its rewritten by artifical design.
And with some headphones, such as the Senns we are discussing, they are not designed to be neutral, they are designed to supply more low mids and enhanced treble.

by "artificial" stereo, what im explaining is that headphones by design take the information they are fed by the sender and they place it more on the left and on the right, artifically.
This is by design.
This is why a really good headphone amp, ...like a Headroom Max,... will offer you a "blend" switch that allows some of the hard left/hard right headphone soundstage aspect to be a bit more center blended in your head as you listen.

See, you hear in stereo.
This means that your ears , say the left one......gets audio information from the right side and mixes it in with the left side info its picking up, and vise versa., as that is the way our ears pick up sound as processed by our brain. = all around = perspective.
In other words, the left ear HEARS and Perceives more then just the audio information that is on the left side..
This is the perspective that is lost when you use headphones, because a set of headphones is a closed audio delivery system.
In headphones, the true audio soundstage is marginalized so that your ears, which are each in a cup, are getting what the headphones are seperating as "left" or "right", which is not a true stereo aspect as you would hear it without headphones, and in this, you are getting artificial separation and thus not a true stereo aspect, when you use cans.
What really good cans and a good headphone amp do best is let you see deeper into music the small details which otherwise would take an extreme high end $$$$$$ hi res audiophile system playing in a perfectly tuned room to show you.
What you lose when using cans is some stereo perspective.
Its a fair trade for inner details, i think.....however, when it comes to mixing on cans......well
I had no idea what you meant by,
Quote:
"the top end is moderately low tech"
and my only question was what, exactly, were you describing. I was not asking about monitoring or anything else and the selected part of your post that I quoted should have made that obvious. Apparently, you meant that the high frequency response deliberately deviated from the flat ideal.

Quote:
See, you hear in stereo.
We also see in stereo, hear?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Location: Where the blue sky leads me to follow the golden horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post

We also see in stereo, hear?

yep.
i hear what you're saying.
I see.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Ah a blinding flash and thunderclap of insight If "hearing is believing" and "seeing is believing"
Then Believing must be in Stereo"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattChen View Post
Hey Yoder, regarding the 650's, do they bleed a lot of sound? Cause I'd get them but I'm concerned about the sound bleeding into the condenser mic (very sensitive).
I have not noticed any bleeding at all. Most retailers have a return policy of 30 days, so you could always get a pair and if they did not meet your needs then return it for a full refund.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD