The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Neck woods other than mahogany

We do not seem to get good mahogany here and they want an arm and a leg for it. So for budget builds what are the inexpensive alternatives like? Maple, cherry, walnut, khaya (African mahogany), sapele...
Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 PM

I personally love Spanish Cedar.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Cherry is a great neck wood. There's a reason why the Colonial cabinet makers used it as a substitute for Cuban mahogany.

Walnut is also good. For Classical guitars I've used butternut, which is similar to cedro.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:45 PM

I think the most important part of neck wood is straight grain for stability. I've used mahogany, spanish cedar, solid maple, three and five piece maple/walnut, and they all seem to work great. Sometimes you have to watch the headstock design, if the wood is heavy and you use a large headstock it can get out of balance.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 PM

I have used Sapele, African mahogany, Philippine mahogany (meranti), maple, cherry... if it's well quartered and straight grained it should work well. I'd even used western red cedar on one guitar, which I thought worked out nicely, though it dents very easily.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:11 PM

I've used cherry, walnut, oak, Spanish Cedar, Maple, Imbuia, that I can think of. As well as lamination of all of the above. of all the alternative neck woods I like cherry and walnut best.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Besides maple and mahogany, I have used ash and oak - both weighed less than the mahogany neck I had weighed. I also used osage orange on a ukulele (too heavy for a guitar) and I just finished one with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar neck, curious to find out if it will hold up, VERY easy to dent, but a dream to carve.

Ed
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Are we able to use basically any wood for the neck, now that we have CF reinforcements and such^
Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Are we able to use basically any wood for the neck, now that we have CF reinforcements and such^
Steinberger did exactly that in the 90s. To an extent, Ken Parker today with his "laminated" necks on his archtops.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Padauk works well also. You have to like "orange" and be willing to deal with deep pores, though.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:00 PM

I have picked up enough maple and am looking for other candidates. This afternoon I bought a piece of walnut and some quartered Spanish cedar. The walnut is hit and miss to get with a straight grain, even then it is flat sawn. The better pieces they send through a planer and double the price. The African mahogany is a reasonable price if I come across a suitable piece.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
We do not seem to get good mahogany here and they want an arm and a leg for it. So for budget builds what are the inexpensive alternatives like? Maple, cherry, walnut, khaya (African mahogany), sapele...

There is mahogany and there is mahogany, kyaha genus is far better than toona genus, it’s double the weight, Cedrela genus and carapagenus are okay, Entandrophragma is very commonly used now

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I have picked up enough maple and am looking for other candidates. This afternoon I bought a piece of walnut and some quartered Spanish cedar. The walnut is hit and miss to get with a straight grain, even then it is flat sawn. The better pieces they send through a planer and double the price. The African mahogany is a reasonable price if I come across a suitable piece.
If you can only get quality wood flatsawn, just build up a laminate neck where you cut both sides from the same board, and voila! the grain now runs vertically...
Old 11-06-2018, 05:46 PM

I made two identical headstocks for a broken gretsch

African Mahogany (Kyaha genus)

Heavy

Chinese Mahognay (Toona genus)

Half the weight
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-06-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I made two identical headstocks for a broken gretsch

African Mahogany (Kyaha genus)

Heavy

Chinese Mahognay (Toona genus)

Half the weight
I have some wood that was sold as a mahogany, maybe because of being mahogany like in appearance if you do not know your wood. Why I bought it I don't know, it was a long ago. I am using it for the neck of a nylon string guitar I made out of balsa. Figured if I was going a low density wood I might as well go all the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair