The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2023, 09:39 AM

Default Kraut 00: string gauge?

Hey all, happy New Year’s Eve!

I asked Ray this question years ago and have completely forgotten his response. Gone from my mind, it is. I think we even had an email discussion which I can’t find.

People with experience with Kraut 00s, do you use lights or mediums? I’m going to do guitar maintenance this week and restring. I think I have been using lights… but since it’s a 00 I don’t know if I should keep doing that or try mediums. Maybe mediums are too much. Lights are working great but seeing as I’ll have the chance to change…

Thanks!

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian
Old 12-31-2023, 10:17 AM

Might get more traction in the custom shop area. It might be worth asking Ray which strings should be used. I've played and owned a few guitars that are braced lightly and not meant to use 13s in standard tuning.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturob View Post

...with Kraut 00s, do you use lights or mediums? I’m going to do guitar maintenance this week and restring. I think I have been using lights… but since it’s a 00 I don’t know if I should keep doing that or try mediums. Maybe mediums are too much. Lights are working great but seeing as I’ll have the chance to change…
Yes, it's very important to use the correct strings on a Kraut. And keep it tuned properly. Otherwise, you could get a sour Kraut.
Old 12-31-2023, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

A guitar top that is built light and responsive needs less string energy to produce a full tone than a heavily-built top. I play fingerstyle with a light touch and have a couple of single luthier guitars with lightly-built tops. They perform fine with strings that are between 11-50 and 12-52 (or 12-54 on one guitar that appreciates the bass boost). The Krauts I have played are similar in build, so my suggestion is that a light gauge string set should be ample to drive your 00 and get the tone you want. The extra energy (and tension) from 13s should be unnecessary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
kraut, kraut 00, strings