The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 11-12-2021, 10:47 AM
usb_chord usb_chord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,506
Default

First I've heard that sound described as having "spit". it's a pretty brilliant descriptor. Congrats on finding the right guitar of that lineage, Steve!
__________________
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by usb_chord; 11-12-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-15-2021, 12:34 PM
steveh steveh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Congratulations Steve! Wonderful looking guitar!
Many thanks Michael; perhaps you'll play it when we all meet up again...if that ever happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
First I've heard that sound described as having "spit". it's a pretty brilliant descriptor. Congrats on finding the right guitar of that lineage, Steve!
Brian, you'll have to credit "spit" to Rory - that's where I first came across the term as applied to guitar sonics, but it's great onomatpoeia, especially when describing that projecting, bright, separated type of sound. However, I needed a bit of the opposite mixed in...what's the opposite of "spit" BTW? Swallow?!

I've remained completely mesmerised by it since delivery, spending ages just listening to the sustain and quality of miscellaneous notes played at random, slouched in front of the TV, late at night when I've had a bit too much to drink.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-23-2021, 12:20 PM
steveh steveh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

So, the Christmas break meant I could find some time this morning to record a little ditty on this fabulous instrument. I hope the AGF doesn’t mind it’s not some delicate Celtic air, played slowly, with endless opportunities for the sustain to ring on and on like a chorus of Angels; there’s plenty of that demonstrating Rory’s guitars elsewhere.

Instead, since I am Martin Carthy’s no. 1 fan, I thought I’d tackle a real finger twister that he played live a lot in the mid 80’s. Not easy, so please excuse the clams; guitar-playing is definitely not the day job! Tuning is CGCDGA…yes “A”, so the top E especially is way, way down. Lots of palm muting as well, to give that metronomic Carthy “thud” (well, that’s what I’m aiming for anyway).



That I even considered a Carthy tune for this guitar says a lot about it’s ability to tackle different genres; I’ve generally found that Carthy’s music doesn’t translate at all well to modern fingerstyle Somogyi-esque instruments: You really need something more “Martin”. So, I’ve been using a mahogany Claxton OM for these tunes but I think the Taran copes superbly (perhaps even better…). Whatever, I haven’t been able to keep my hands off it since it arrived. It’s everything I wanted – as good as the one I played a couple of years ago that precipitated this unexpected commission. Thanks +++ Rory!

Seasons best everyone.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-24-2021, 01:31 AM
Vaillant75 Vaillant75 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 290
Default

Hi Steve,
Thanks for taking the time for the demo, very nice indeed! I heard from Marc that you found the guitar to be overlapping more with the Sands than the Claxton. It's interesting because I hear quite a bit of punch and directness in this recording, qualities that I would not intuitively link to a Sands guitar. Might also be the song choice, which purposefully was no some airy Celtic music.

Despite being mostly into classical, you've now landed on a very beautiful and diverse acoustic collection, congratulations.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-24-2021, 03:13 AM
MThomson MThomson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 620
Default

Thanks for the demo, the sound holds up very well for being tuned that far down. Can definitely hear similarities to the sound of my guitar and that's a very good thing indeed. I hope you get lots of time to enjoy it over the break.
__________________
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-29-2022, 10:59 AM
steveh steveh is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,678
Default

Just in case anyone's interested in what this sounds like in DADGAD, here's a rough and ready recording I did yesterday, of a fingerstyle arrangement of ABBA's Arrival (inspired by my love of The Darkness, who take to the stage with Arrival).

Lots of clams etc. but, hey, I have a day job and it's not music!

Predictably, the audio doesn't really convey what a sweet, sweet tone this box has: It continues to delight me on a daily basis; such a great combination of world-class tone, build, and comfortable feel. Undeniably one of the very best instruments I've ever held.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-29-2022, 02:48 PM
MThomson MThomson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 620
Default

Beautiful guitar and it sounds great. I'm glad you're still enjoying it so much.
__________________
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-30-2022, 09:45 AM
volman volman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North of Atlanta, GA
Posts: 235
Default

Such an incredible tone. I'm absolutely enamored with my Mhor, so much so that I have a 2025 build slot reserved with Rory. I'm debating on an Oreval or another Mhor. It's great to hear more sound clips like what you've posted since it helps to hear all the different things Rory is able to do with the Mhor while still having that signature Taran personality shine through. Too bad there aren't more available sound clips of the Oreval. Redwood personally doesn't suit what I want and most of the available Oreval audio is from Redwood/walnut guitars.
__________________
Taran Tirga Mhor DS3 (Bearclaw Swiss/Tas Blackwood)
Searching for the right Esteban...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-30-2022, 11:17 AM
MThomson MThomson is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 620
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by volman View Post
Such an incredible tone. I'm absolutely enamored with my Mhor, so much so that I have a 2025 build slot reserved with Rory. I'm debating on an Oreval or another Mhor. It's great to hear more sound clips like what you've posted since it helps to hear all the different things Rory is able to do with the Mhor while still having that signature Taran personality shine through. Too bad there aren't more available sound clips of the Oreval. Redwood personally doesn't suit what I want and most of the available Oreval audio is from Redwood/walnut guitars.
I know you've likely found this, but just in case

__________________
Martin
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-30-2022, 11:27 AM
volman volman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North of Atlanta, GA
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I know you've likely found this, but just in case

I've actually watched that one several times, but he says that it was built for someone who would be flat picking...so I know the voicing won't be quite the same as what I would want for fingerstyle. Still sounds great and certainly looks fantastic. Thanks for making sure I had seen it. I'm sure more clips will be available of all Taran models by the time my build starts.
__________________
Taran Tirga Mhor DS3 (Bearclaw Swiss/Tas Blackwood)
Searching for the right Esteban...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-02-2022, 06:09 AM
FrankCousins FrankCousins is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volman View Post
I've actually watched that one several times, but he says that it was built for someone who would be flat picking...so I know the voicing won't be quite the same as what I would want for fingerstyle. Still sounds great and certainly looks fantastic. Thanks for making sure I had seen it. I'm sure more clips will be available of all Taran models by the time my build starts.
I have an Oreval and its just like Michael Watts says, its fine for finger style, but comes into its own when you attack it more and its perfect for my style of heavy right hand (mine is Adi/Mad rose)

I have a 2023 Build slot with with Rory and will most likely go with Tirga beag like Dustin Durlow's in either BRW or African BW with Italian or German top - we will see ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-02-2022, 03:50 PM
volman volman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North of Atlanta, GA
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
I have an Oreval and its just like Michael Watts says, its fine for finger style, but comes into its own when you attack it more and its perfect for my style of heavy right hand (mine is Adi/Mad rose)

I have a 2023 Build slot with with Rory and will most likely go with Tirga beag like Dustin Durlow's in either BRW or African BW with Italian or German top - we will see ;-)
That's awesome feedback...thanks. I love all the "spit", projection, and note separation in my Tirga Mhor. I'm looking for something that retains all of that but with a stronger (but not muddy) bass and a bigger body guitar sound overall...hence my interest in the Oreval. I'm very much leaning towards the same wood choices as you with African Blackwood and either German or Italian spruce. I have a hunch that a Tirga Mhor in that combo would hit the mark, but I've yet to have a good conversation with Rory about it since my build is so far off. Plenty of time to sort it out and keep enjoying and discovering sound clips to help inform my decision.
__________________
Taran Tirga Mhor DS3 (Bearclaw Swiss/Tas Blackwood)
Searching for the right Esteban...
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=