The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Default Good guitar for a beginner (Adult)

So I finally have time to do something I've always wanted to do, learn to play guitar. What are some good choices for me starting out. I want to say under $1000. I have talked to a few of my friends who play and they given me suggestions from the Seagull S6 to Washburn W10S to the lower end mexican made Taylor's. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeasley8709 View Post
So I finally have time to do something I've always wanted to do, learn to play guitar. What are some good choices for me starting out. I want to say under $1000. I have talked to a few of my friends who play and they given me suggestions from the Seagull S6 to Washburn W10S to the lower end mexican made Taylor's. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi bbeasley...

Wow! First of all Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined…

I have adult children who play and if I were given $1000 with instructions to buy them a good solid guitar which would last into the future as they progress, I'd be trying out the Eastman all solid OM.

I've played some and they are better than their prices would indicate.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

I've got two all solid Eastman OM's and only paid $100 more then your budget number for both. I'm very satisfied with each of them. One thing to consider about Eastmans, though (and Larry alluded to it), is that their re-sale value won't hold up like a Martin or a Taylor but if you want a fine sounding and playing instrument that you'll hold on to for awhile they are great.

Ray
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Welcome.

My suggestion would be working with a seller or luthier who make sure you have the instrument set up well.

This will illustrate what a good seller does and you can also get a good set up with a used guitar.

http://sprucetreemusic.com/settingup.html
Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM

There are a lot of good all solid woods guitars in your price range. As mentioned, Eastman, also Seagull, Blueridge, Recording King just to name some that come to mind at the time. Oh yes, welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM

I have not had a chance to play the Eastman OM's, but for not too much more than the Seagull S6 you can get a Seagull Maritime SWS which is made from solid wood (spruce top, mahogany neck, back and sides). However both Seagulls don't come with cases so you will need to spend a bit extra there to get some protection for the guitar, but depending on how you plan to use it you might not need to spend too much on a case.

You can also find a Yamaha LL6 for under $500 with a case brand new that is a solid guitar for a beginner if you want to save some money.

Congrats on your decision.
Yamaha LL6
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Get a Blueridge. For any style of playing, I've found Blueridge's guitars to be spectacular- and not just "for the money." I'm sure there will be people here who won't agree, and you're sure to see some posts lauding Eastman and Recording King and any number of other brands, but for a brand new guitar in the sub-$1,000 market, I think anyone would be hard pressed to beat Blueridge in quality and tone. You can get choose from any number of sizes and wood combinations and get an all-solid Blueridge for less than $1,000.

Of course, what sounds good to me may not sound good to you. You may also want to look at Guild's GAD line. I had an F130R which was outstanding, and currently have an M20 and F20, both of which are great.

What kind of music do you want to play?
A few Telecasters
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Some information about the style(s) of music that you are interested in playing would be very helpful in steering you towards a suitable guitar.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Hi there, and welcome.
You are among friends here.

May I concur that buying with an eye to the future has its merits. Your $1000 ceiling puts you in good place to get a nice guitar, but may I suggest you hold out a hundred and take it to a luthier for a set-up. He, or she, will make it easier to play.
I have seen students progress faster on "lesser" guitars that play well than a high end model that had to be wrestled with. So do yourself a favor, take it in for a tuneup.
Admittedly, an exception may be found. Taylors consistently play well from the factory, and others may as well.

Another hint that may bring differing opinions here, is to perhaps start out with light or extra light strings. Although they may not be as loud, they can be easier on new fingers.

One more thing I do with my students is to start out tuning the guitar "down a half step". Reducing the string tension can make it a litttle easier to push the strings down on the fret board. If you decide to try this idea, it would help your luthier to know that, so they can adjust accordingly. It wont hurt a thing to later tune up to regular pitch.

Good luck in your search, and pick one that brings a smile no matter what anyone says about it. You might get lucky and fall in love at first strum.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM

I have a broad range of music I want to play. Anything from bands like Foo Fighters to Jack Johnson and The Goo Goo Dolls. So i guess rock and pop.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM

don't feel like you have to spend the whole 1000. I went guitar shopping this weekend with $1000 and only ended up spending $300 on a Yamaha. I played Guilds, Martins, Seagull, Fender, Morgan Monroe and a few more.

You never know what you will find.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Hi there, and welcome.
You are among friends here.

May I concur that buying with an eye to the future has its merits. Your $1000 ceiling puts you in good place to get a nice guitar, but may I suggest you hold out a hundred and take it to a luthier for a set-up. He, or she, will make it easier to play.
I have seen students progress faster on "lesser" guitars that play well than a high end model that had to be wrestled with. So do yourself a favor, take it in for a tuneup.
Admittedly, an exception may be found. Taylors consistently play well from the factory, and others may as well.

Another hint that may bring differing opinions here, is to perhaps start out with light or extra light strings. Although they may not be as loud, they can be easier on new fingers.

One more thing I do with my students is to start out tuning the guitar "down a half step". Reducing the string tension can make it a litttle easier to push the strings down on the fret board. If you decide to try this idea, it would help your luthier to know that, so they can adjust accordingly. It wont hurt a thing to later tune up to regular pitch.

Good luck in your search, and pick one that brings a smile no matter what anyone says about it. You might get lucky and fall in love at first strum.
Some GREAT advice right here!

Don't overlook used guitars. At your price point there will be some really nice used guitars available with still enough left over for a good setup. Also maybe take a friend who plays when you are checking guitars and have them play it while you listen. It's amazing the sound difference between playing verses listening sometimes. The only other thing I'd add is find one that sounds and feels good to YOU. You are the one that will live with this guitar so make your ears and fingers happy and have fun shopping!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi bbeasley...

Wow! First of all Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined…

I have adult children who play and if I were given $1000 with instructions to buy them a good solid guitar which would last into the future as they progress, I'd be trying out the Eastman all solid OM.

I've played some and they are better than their prices would indicate.

Yes, I would echo Larry's "Welcome to the Forum" and also the suggestion about purchasing a solid wood Eastman OM.

Ted at LA Guitar Sales http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/3040/ is a sponsor here on the forum and also handles Eastman guitars. I would call him to get his advice. He will also make sure that the guitar is properly set up.

Another option, also available from Ted, is the folding neck Voyage-Air guitar. It comes with a backpack so you can take it traveling, including on an airplane, and you can buy a good one for about half of your budget.

Other options are Blueridge. Maury's carries them over on the eastern side of the US. They have a lot of good options for reasonable cost.

The lower cost Martin and Taylor guitars are also viable options. You might be able to get a friend to take you to some local guitar stores and play some guitars for you and see what you like. There are clear advantages in buying locally, where if something goes wrong, they can fix it. Also, they may be the door that leads you to some guitar lessons.

- Glenn
Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I have a broad range of music I want to play. Anything from bands like Foo Fighters to Jack Johnson and The Goo Goo Dolls. So i guess rock and pop.
Good to know your tastes. Rzeznik is a very good innovator as well. Love The Goos. Rzeznik plays a Taylor quite a bit, but plays many guitars in MANY different tunings, as well.
Since you seem to like acoustic rock, I would suggest a dreadnought shape and spruce topped guitar. You can probably get a used Taylor 310E for less than $1000. Martin, Breedlove, Guild and Takamine also make some great guitars for acoustic rock.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Welcome to the AGF and welcome to your new endeavor to learn the guitar. Is there any chance that after a few lessons you'll no longer want to learn? If so, I wouldn't be recommending $1000 for a first guitar - of course, I don't know your financial situation so $1k may not be an issue for you .

A Seagull S6 is a really good guitar and a good price. I think it's a great guitar to learn on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner guitarist