The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck99 View Post
Thanks guys, you guys are really helpful : D
So far, short of playing it I'm leaning towards the Godin acoustics (namely the S&P Woodland Pro and the Seagull S6...something tells me it's way overhyped on these forums though), the Taylors from what I'm hearing and seeing just aren't worth it until you get into mid 1000s at least : \
The whole Cedar vs. Spruce thing, would a warmer sound be better with the whole singing thing? (modern stuff acoustic covers, acoustic/alternative rock that sort of stuff...I'm a young guy not really into much classic :$)
Yes, like patticake said different voices are suited for different wood combos. And it's not just voice type (alto, soprano etc). The timbre of your voice also matters. So it's best to get a quiet room in a shop to see what works best. I found my voice doesn't work well with all the overtones associated with rosewood in an OM body size (I think it would be better with a smaller body???).

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM

used guild d150?? ( solid rosewood back and sides/solid spruce top....)
1990 Taylor 510
2003 American Fat Strat
2006 Custom Stratocaster
2007 Taylor 655ce (trans-black)
2010 Tele Custom Pro
2011 Custom "Voodoo" Strat
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm making the transition from a cheap basically dollarstore guitar to actually learning with a legit guitar so from what I'm seeing obviously I should go with whatever sounds and feels better for me?
However before going into the store, I'm wondering what are your opinions on the best sub-$500 guitar (available in Canada)?

From what I see, the most popular choices are the Taylor GS Mini, Taylor Big Baby, and the Seagull S6. Thoughts? (I'm a 5'8' guy with normal hands so I'm wondering if the winder neck of the S6 should concern me, and if the S6 Slim has any tonal differences)
Taylor GS Mini

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 AM

Default Here's some used ones

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=280372

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=283614

I don't know how much more it would cost for shipping to Canada. Always seeing nice used guitars listed on the AGF Classifieds. I've had several excellent transactions myself....
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
I'm a 5'8' guy with normal hands so I'm wondering if the winder neck of the S6 should concern me, and if the S6 Slim has any tonal differences
Only you can tell if the wider neck will seem difficult or not. If the action is too high that will also be a confusing factor. I have a wide-neck Seagull and am not much bigger than you, with fairly small hands, and the width is fine for me. So just try a bunch. I am more concerned with the comfort of a dread vs. a folk size instrument.

The last time I looked on Toronto Kijiji there were many used Godin guitars at reasonable prices; the used selection was much better than in my Boston-area Craiglist listings.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 AM

Dreads are generally great strummers IMHO. And there seems to be a great amount of dreads being sold for that price. I can't offer much more than what I just said. Have not had experience shopping for guitars there.
L Luthier GA 33VSEQ
Hofma Classical (It's bagged and stored)
Gibson LP
Gibson LP AW Supreme

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner guitarist, seagull s6, taylor gs mini