The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Seeking recommendations for an acoustic under 2000

Hi all,

New to the forum here -- thanks for having me, and hopefully I don't screw this up!

I play guitar and mandolin in a folk-rock/Americana band, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've veered heavily into electric guitar to the point where I almost never play acoustic. I've also never had a quality acoustic guitar, but do own a lovely National Triolian that I play slide and fingerstyle on.

Recently I've been wanting to play acoustic more. I played a friend's Avian Songbird and loved its ease of play, but felt like it was too quiet and perhaps a shade too "modern" looking for my aethetic. As far as styles I play, it ranges from folk, blues, a little old time and bluegrass, as well as jazz. I strum and play fingerstyle on pretty much all of my guitars.

Originally I was thinking of a 1200 budget, but the more I think about it, I'm considering pulling out all the stops and making 2000 the top of my range. I've only ever owned Dreadnaught flattops, but would be open to a different shape.

The first guitar that comes to mind is a Martin D-18, used. (There's even a used D-18GE on Craigslist near me).

Guild guitars have always appealed to me, and there are plenty of accolades going around for Blueridge.

I need to play a lot more guitars and get a sense of how they sound and feel in my hands, but I wanted to post on here to see if there are any recommendations from you fine folks. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 AM

I'll be the most common piece of advice you'll get is to call the forum sponsors (Maury's Music springs to mind) and see if you can work out a deal on a new guitar. Dealer's can't advertise below the minimum price set by the builder, but they can sell below that price, so you might be able to get a guitar for way less than you think.

By doing that, you might be able to swing a new D-18 for less than $2k, I think. And a post-2012 D-18 will be, if I had to guess, a very popular recommendation. As it should be -- they are amazing guitars.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
I'll be the most common piece of advice you'll get is to call the forum sponsors (Maury's Music springs to mind) and see if you can work out a deal on a new guitar. Dealer's can't advertise below the minimum price set by the builder, but they can sell below that price, so you might be able to get a guitar for way less than you think.

By doing that, you might be able to swing a new D-18 for less than $2k, I think. And a post-2012 D-18 will be, if I had to guess, a very popular recommendation. As it should be -- they are amazing guitars.
A lot of folks are going to come on here and advise to play a variety and I tend to agree but is that feasible in your situation? Me thinks that if your going to buy before you try, can't go wrong with a traditional Martin line like you are doing.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
A lot of folks are going to come on here and advise to play a variety and I tend to agree but is that feasible in your situation? Me thinks that if your going to buy before you try, can't go wrong with a traditional Martin line like you are doing.

That’s fair. The best solution is, always, to try before you buy. I was sort of thinking that you were already leaning toward a Martin dread—a totally solid defensible choice. But playing other guitars, including other brands and other sizes, is the best way. Especially before you drop $2k.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
That’s fair. The best solution is, always, to try before you buy. I was sort of thinking that you were already leaning toward a Martin dread—a totally solid defensible choice. But playing other guitars, including other brands and other sizes, is the best way. Especially before you drop $2k.
Totally. Luckily there's no shortage of guitars to try out here in NYC, though it's not quite the same as living down the street from Elderly...

I'm sure I'll demo a slew of guitars to make sure what I think I want is what I actually want.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Hard to go wrong with a standard Martin, but in this price range scintely try Taylors and Gibsons as well. Gibsons have some exceptional values under 2k.

With Guilds, I personally haven’t played any newer ones so I can’t comment, but are there some older Westerly Guilds that are some of the best guitars I’ve ever played. Definitely try and find one in good shape if Guilds interest you.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Just a thought

Try many. Try them all. I started learning to play a year ago and jumped right in with a used Taylor 514CE. Great guitar! Great condition! Great price! I sold it about a month ago because I realized I am more partial to a dreadnaught and rosewood. I wouldn't hesitate to put in a plug for Eastman dreads or 000s. The E6D sitka/mahogany, E8D sitka/rosewood or the Adirondack guitars E10D and E20D. They are a lot of guitar for the money. Well made and great neck for easy play. They are not Martins and I don't think they pretend to be. They are just great sounding guitars for 1/4-1/3 the price. The best recommendation I have ever read on this forum is to play A LOT of different guitars.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:23 AM

I would also highly recommend Maury's Music.

I wouldn't hesitate to call Maury and get a quote on a D18 and a D28. May even look at an M36 as well... it is a big, broad 0000 body shape, but more shallow than a dread. gives it projection and balance, and comfy to play.

Those are the 3 guitars that spring into my mind for your situation, for sure. But, can't go wrong playing as many as possible, too. Would also recommend the new J45's and AJ's coming out of Bozeman. Great deals to be had in the 2k range, in this market.. definitely. Good luck!!!
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Lot's of great guitars in that price range. I would play J-45's, J-15's, Guilds, Taylors....mostly used of course. Then, when you're really ready to buy, grab a D-18 and an 000-18 and make your final decision. I wouldn't pick up the D-18 until last because, I believe, your quest will otherwise end very quickly.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Lot's of great guitars in that price range. I would play J-45's, J-15's, Guilds, Taylors....mostly used of course. Then, when you're really ready to buy, grab a D-18 and an 000-18 and make your final decision. I wouldn't pick up the D-18 until last because, I believe, your quest will otherwise end very quickly.
What he said.

Seriously.

I searched and played and played and played until I stumbled across a new reimagined D-18 (a 2017 model)....which I now own.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:12 AM

As with most of the other feedback on your question, I would definitely recommend taking your time and trying as many guitars as possible. Often two guitars of the exact same model and year will have differing tones and appearance. The 2,000 range gives you a huge amount of opportunity and really gets you to a place where you will likely end up with a superlative instrument. I'm going to throw out a couple which you might want to try. Seagull's Artist Studio Deluxe is an amazing guitar which you can get well under your 2,000 target and plays better than most at or significantly above that price point. I picked up one about 4 months ago and I don't want to play any of my other guitars anymore. Another model I would look at is anything in Breedlove's Oregon Concert series - specifically the Myrtlewood builds. I played one a month ago and felt it outperformed anything else in my local shop (3,500+ Taylors and Martins included) and looked stunningly different to boot. Enjoy the journey.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum here -- thanks for having me, and hopefully I don't screw this up!

I play guitar and mandolin in a folk-rock/Americana band, and for the last 7 or 8 years I've veered heavily into electric guitar to the point where I almost never play acoustic. I've also never had a quality acoustic guitar, but do own a lovely National Triolian that I play slide and fingerstyle on.

Recently I've been wanting to play acoustic more. I played a friend's Avian Songbird and loved its ease of play, but felt like it was too quiet and perhaps a shade too "modern" looking for my aethetic. As far as styles I play, it ranges from folk, blues, a little old time and bluegrass, as well as jazz. I strum and play fingerstyle on pretty much all of my guitars.

Originally I was thinking of a 1200 budget, but the more I think about it, I'm considering pulling out all the stops and making 2000 the top of my range. I've only ever owned Dreadnaught flattops, but would be open to a different shape.

The first guitar that comes to mind is a Martin D-18, used. (There's even a used D-18GE on Craigslist near me).

Guild guitars have always appealed to me, and there are plenty of accolades going around for Blueridge.

I need to play a lot more guitars and get a sense of how they sound and feel in my hands, but I wanted to post on here to see if there are any recommendations from you fine folks. Thanks in advance!
You already know what to do, and that’s putting your hands on lots of guitars.

I’m always pleasantly surprised when I find a used K. Yairi. Very Martin-like in projection and feel, and well within your price range.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-08-2018, 11:29 AM

I followed everyone’s advice a few months back and purchased through a sponsor. You can get a new D18 for under 2k.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:29 AM

In no particular order
Martin D18
Taylor Dread
Any Eastman Solid Wood Dread model
Gibson J15
Guild Dread
Alvarez Dread
Blueridge Dread

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalshrub View Post
Hi all,

besides Martin I would also look at Breedlove and Taylor

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
blueridge, dreadnaught, guild, martin