The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 PM

I have some experience with these guitars, but sadly not with the item you have in hand. The bottom line is that Ward's sourced guitars from a wide range of makers, and offered instruments in a wide range of spec extending from toy clunkers to very playable pieces. Unfortunately, even within a particular model, the quality can range ridiculously. I have a "Carson Robison" made by Gibson for Ward's, and it's ladder-braced. This particular model, like almost everything Ward's sold, ranges from junk to wonderful. I never in a million years would have sought one out, but encountered a guy who was selling his collection, and when I picked it up to try it I almost wet my pants it was so wonderfully sounding and physically just excellent to play. I never expected that! Mine is beat to hell because, obviously, it was played every day of its 80 years of life! On the other hand, you can find examples of the same model that are virtual junk. Yours is definitely worth giving a really good assessment, and some research, before you decide how to proceed. Some people get those things rebraced if the original bracing is poor; the old finish can be revived without a refin if you want. Pictures can't really help much. Good luck! A good old top that has been aged for two lifetimes can sometimes sound, today, with a tonal beauty not present when it was built!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
I have a "Carson Robison" made by Gibson for Ward's, and it's ladder-braced.
I have a Wards Regal-made "Carson Robinson." I originally bought it for pocket change because I needed the Kluson bent tab tuners to put on a Banner Gibson which had lost its originals somewhere down the line. But I then decided the guitar deserved a new lease on life. I also have a Gibson-made Capital sold by Jenkins Music Stores. An amazing guitar.

Thing is, if you know what your are looking at you can walk away with one heck of a bargain on a great guitar. A few years ago I scored a guitar for $50 which everybody ignored thinking it was a Harmony-made "Granada". As soon as I saw the instrument, I knew it was an Oscar Schmidt "Westbrook" Stella. It was a left over instrument acquired when Harmony bought the Schmidt company and then re-badged and sold.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 PM

I believe the brand name is " Thorn Ward " i have a simalar one to yours- my body is bigger and mines also Brazilian rosewood -thats what I got from a knowledgable guitar collector - My research tells me it probably came from The George Washburn and sons company -
By the way Brazilian rosewood is extremely prevalant for that era - and is not rare -yours seems to be in very good condition !
Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

A very cool looking guitar and a very cool story to go with it. Nice....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 PM

It's a Lyon and Healy product, could be anywhere from the 1890s to 1920s. It's a good quality line--considered to be a step above their Washburn line.

Ah. Found one: https://antebelluminstruments.blogsp...servatory.html
Old 07-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Nice family find........that one is definitely a keeper!

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 07-01-2017, 08:02 PM

It looks like Howard fully nailed the ID. Being a guitar that is nearly (or perhaps fully) a century old, with significant family history, and BRW -- this is something special. Definitely take it to a pro and find someone that can competently handle vintage instruments, even if you have to ship it away. Antebellum Instruments seems like a logical choice, but I am sure there are other shops too.

Then you have some choices to make, based on their evaluation. Just make it playable and fix any major structural issues, or restore it fully including refinish or finish touch-up? Hint: If they need to replace the tuning machines, be sure to keep the originals too.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Thank you all so much! There is a wealth of information in this thread. Thanks especially to Mr. Klepper for the link.

I live in western Kentucky, about 2 hours from Louisville and 2 hours from Nashville. Does anybody have any suggestions as to who I should take it to, or a ballpark of how much I should expect to spend?
Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGTroutman View Post
Thank you all so much! There is a wealth of information in this thread. Thanks especially to Mr. Klepper for the link.

I live in western Kentucky, about 2 hours from Louisville and 2 hours from Nashville. Does anybody have any suggestions as to who I should take it to, or a ballpark of how much I should expect to spend?
Any estimate without an inspection is going to be a guesstimate. it is a cool old guitar, and even without the family connection, and worth putting into what it needs. Take it to someone who knows what they are about with vintage instruments, and have them tell you what it needs. Gruhn in Nashville has a good rep. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

TW
Old 07-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Any estimate without an inspection is going to be a guesstimate. it is a cool old guitar, and even without the family connection, and worth putting into what it needs. Take it to someone who knows what they are about with vintage instruments, and have them tell you what it needs. Gruhn in Nashville has a good rep. I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

TW
Try Joe Glaser too in Nashville. Did some great work for me last year.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 07-02-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I'll give you $15 for it.
I'll make it $16...but you've gotta pay shipping...
Old 07-02-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
I'll make it $16...but you've gotta pay shipping...
Aw Man! ... Don't make me go to the ATM.

Last edited by Tico; 07-02-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

What a great story and gorgeous little guitar! That's one to cherish... love that BRW.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Definitely a beauty
Make sure you thank your Uncle
Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Lyon & Healy is always a safe bet when talking about mail order catalog guitars as at the time they were the biggest player in Chicago. They turned out not only Washburns but just after the turn of the century Regals. Oscar Schmidt (out of New Jersey) did not supply mail order houses while Harmony was at the time owned by competitor Sears. That would pretty much leave Stromberg/Kay Kraft which did supply Wards.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-02-2017 at 10:36 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
montgomery ward, old guitar, parlor